Discovery to Bahamas?

kimala

Has anyone sailled the Discovery cruise from Miami Fl to the Bahamas? Sounds like a great inexpensive way to get to the islands from Florida only &$129. RT. They bassically provide 5 hr trip ovr w/b'fast buffet & lunch arriving @ 1pm then return either same evening or different evening. Anyone had experience on this trip? Did you book land based pkg for hotel thru them also? How was food edibale?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Has anyone sailled the Discovery cruise from Miami Fl to the Bahamas? Sounds like a great inexpensive way to get to the islands from Florida only &$129. RT. They bassically provide 5 hr trip ovr w/b'fast buffet & lunch arriving @ 1pm then return either same evening or different evening. Anyone had experience on this trip? Did you book land based pkg for hotel thru them also? How was food edibale?

Kimala, did you hear anything? I just booked this cruise for my husband and myself for Dec 26, 2005. Wondering if there were any replys?

• 1 month later...

I have just come across these postings while searching on the web. I note no one has been able to give a reply so I suggest you go to the Grand Bahama Message group - http://www.grand-bahama.com and post your enquiry. I am sure you will get a good response from others who have used this service - you can also check their archive for info. Enjoy your trip! I lived there 1969-73 ... happy memories!

• 2 weeks later...

We did this trip a few years ago when the old Sea Escape (Scandinavian Sun) ran the route. I believe the current ship, Discovery Sun, is the same ship but with a new name. We did the day trip over, spent 2 nights in a hotel and then took the evening cruise back to Port Everglades.

If you go, I recommend you pay a few bucks extra and get a cabin. Otherwise you're out in the public areas all day and evening and when you get tired, you're stuck with everyone else with no place to go. It's nice to have a place to call "home" when you just want to read, nap or use a bathroom by yourself!

Unlike other cruises, you have to clear Customs in the Bahamas. I'm not sure why on a regular cruise ship you just get off your ship and back on again, without regards to Immigration hassles. But on Discovery you clear Customs & Immigration at the port in Freeport upon arrival.

The worst part of the experience is the return. I forget when boarding actually begins for the return, but we got to the port about 2 hours before departure and so did everyone else. Since everyone staying in hotels generally must check out by Noon, there is no place to go but the Port. So the place gets jammed with people, all waiting to check-in and board.

For those making it a day trip, there is very little actual time in Freeport. The taxi ride is about 20-minutes each way to the International Bazaar area. It can be done, but it will be rushed. And then get in line with everyone else trying to get back on. Those staying on the ship won't have that headache but those people can hardly say they've been to the Bahamas either.

The food is ok; it's a cafeteria style buffet. It seems that some repeat passengers will start standing in the buffet line an hour before it even opens, hoping to get there early. Then the line gets longer and longer. Still, I think eventually everyone gets to eat.

Thus, don't go with an expectation that this is like any other cruise you've ever been on. But it's not bad either and the price is decent. It's one of the few ships calling on Freeport. I think a better value may be the Regal Empress sailing for Imperial Majesty Cruise Lines to Nassau, where 2-night cruises begin at $169 and that's a more traditional cruise experience albiet a very old (but classic) ship.

BobK/Orlando

just off: Sea Princess

Archived