Is there advantage booking w/ TA vs doing our own?

alikim

Just curious...

I booked my druise w/ TA and got me thinking because I spend alot of time here and learned ALOT from wonderful people here. You guys have helped me with questions that even my TA didn't know. And I begin to wonder why do I need TA when I practically did everything myself such as booking excursions, printing e-docs, and etc.

Because my friend told me I should do express check in with LAX before I leave for Hawaii, I called NCL to find out my e-doc/reservation number (I couldn't find it on the e-docs) and was told by NCL to have my TA call them for that info. It's such a simple question and I'm sure they have the answer right there so why must I call my TA and she calls them and then she calls me back? If I have other questions and if she doesn't know the answer, it starts all over again. Me calling TA, TA calling NCL, TA calling me. I feel like I'm bugging her with simple question when I could take care it myself by calling NCL.

What is the advantage of using TA?

Is there price difference if we are to book vacation ourselves vs TA books it?

For my next trip, if there's no difference I'm thinking I should do everything myself. I didn't even go on my Hawaii cruise yet and I'm already planning my next cruise! LOL!

I'm getting e-mails with cruise offers (signed up on-line with every cruiseline) and it shows choices of booking w/ TA, call directly to cruiseline, or book on-line.

As always, thank you for all your help.

Our TA is a friend and he gave us a LITTLE bit off the cruise. Maybe 100.00 per. But he is also giving us a Ultimate Balcony Breakfast. 25.00

And has answered some questions we had. But those answeres can be answered here also with all the good people around.

Now the 1st thing I said to HIM before we even started was. If you cant do me anything special and beat the price. I'll just do it online. He also got us a cheaper and better coverage Insurance than the lines.

Just our .02

This is our first cruise and our first trip to Hawaii. When I went to book she was able to get me a better price than anything advertised at the big sites such as travelocity, etc. (several hundred dollars better). She chose a cabin for us on the port side, which I would not have known to do. With the POH cruise, that's important because of the sail by of the coast when you're leaving Kauai. When NCL called with an upsell from the mini-suite which we had booked, to a Penthouse AB, I thought I was going to be too late because I wasn't around to take the call. When I called the TA, she offered to call NCL even though it had been several days. I put all kinds of conditions on the upsell, specifically I only wanted the Penthouse if it was going to be on the port side. She was able to get me the Penthouse I wanted on the port side, got the extra insurance covered, etc., etc. So I'm taking a long time to say I think a TA can be a big help. BTW, I didn't know her. Found the agency name through a travel guidebook. Then was randomly assigned an agent.

I don't know about the US. But in Canada (Ontario specifically) we are covered by a protection fund should something happen as long as we book with an agent that is TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario) certified.

Basically it means the following

Subject to the Regulation, the Fund provides reimbursement of monies paid to an Ontario registered travel agent for travel services that are not provided due to the bankruptcy or insolvency of an Ontario registrant or an end supplier airline or cruise line, where a reimbursement has not otherwise been provided. As long as the consumer has dealt through a registered Ontario travel retailer, a claim may be filed against the Compensation Fund for the non-provision of travel services, even if payment was made directly to the travel supplier via credit card.

So it's a little added protection that I wouldn't get if I booked directly with NCL. I always get Cruise line prices or better with my TA. Also areoplan points and they get to do all my leg work. Seems like a win-win to me.

Let me start out by saying price is not my first criteria. I believe in the old addage "You get what you pay for". On the other hand, I don't want to be robbed either. My TA looks out for my best interests. The cruise started off at the same price that I could have gotten if I booked it myself on-line, but there were two price drops that he got for us between the time I booked and when I sailed. I didn't have to watch the sailing to see if it went down, he just watches the prices and requests the differences.

I don't have time to check my computer on a daily basis, but that is what he does for a living. Not all TA's do this and some won't let you get the discounts (they give you some kind of story why you aren't eligible), but mine does for all his clients. The prie for a Balcony - BD started out at $1849 per person and by the time we are getting ready to leave we paid $1409 per person. Not a bad drop and I didn't have to do any work for it.

He also arranged excursions for us at much cheaper prices then the cruise line offered and we get all kinds of Hawaii information. Every month he sent us some article on one of the Islands we will be traveling too and gave us tips regarding our trip. I'm not sure I would have trusted him to do this if I hadn't been on one of his group trips before and did the excursions he had set up for the group.

I guess I use a TA for their advice which can ultimately save tons of time and money. He handles everything for me without any fees. LMHO.

Dem920

Our local TA keps me informed on specials via email. We have been with her for 8 years now, and knows our wishes without having to ask, such as Dining preferance, room locations. If there is a large group going out from nearby Port, they will provide transportation over and back at no cost to us and has that little special gift waiting for us in the room. I would much prefer to work with one company/agent then differant one each booking.

Archived