Can't decide? Need help!

chri1720

I am both a newbie at cruising and the cruise critic forum. I have been overwhelmed with the amount of info and reviews on this site that i really can't decide about which cruise line to join.

Here are my questions:

1. Can't decide between RCI (Independence of the sea), NCL (Jade or Jewel), Princess(Grand Princess), P&O ( Oceana) cruise heading into Mediterranean? There are all in similar price range, similar ports, and the reviews on all of them have been mixed. Any guidance would be extremely helpful

2. Several reviews seem to suggest when having buffet on some of these ships that you are actually being served and not by yourself , is this true? While i can understand the hygiene reasons, it's very time ineffcient and restraining, i like to try different dishes, but because i'm trying , i don't like a normal portion , i want a small portion and having to tell the person serving is going to make everyone behind the line grumble.

3. What is the difference between a JR suite and a suite? Is the difference worth paying for?

Thanks.

My personal preference would be, in order, Princess, RCCI, and NCL. I've not done P&O, so I cannot comment.

Only certain things are served to you in a buffet line, such as the carved meats, made to order salads and pastas. You can serve everything yourself.

The difference between suites is size. If you're not going to be spending lots of time in your cabin, stay with something less expensive.

First thing I do when making plans for a cruise or land travel is this. Take out a piece of paper & a pen. Now make a list of what you expect to get out of this trip. Also, anyone travelling with you, what do they want to do? Now see which cruise fits you. We wanted to go to Bermuda for our 25th anniversary in 2003. We play golf all the time. So Bermuda was our choice. We wanted the most days there. We could have left from our home port of Baltimore with only 2 full days there. We decided on NYC on Celebrity Zenith (ship was sold, cruise is out of NJ now). We cruised to Bermuda with almost 4 days there. So this was the cruise that fit us. Then I found out before we left that it was the exact cruise my brother & SIL did a few years before. So find what fits you, not the other way around. Do you plan on swimming or snorkling? What shore excursions do you want to do? Make your list then check out what is available.

Thanks for all your help, celbercrz333 , you're absolutely a god-send! Making the plan really helped me narrow down the list and in the end picking my cruise. Not sure if i made the right choice but at least i made one that i think it's the best plus i rationalize that i can always do it again the next year if i didn't like certain things.

chri1720, if your not quite sure if you made the right choice, take your list down to your local cruise travel agency and discuss it with an agent. (Call around a bit first until you find one that is truly interested in your trip and starts asking a lot of questions.) They may have some suggestions or insights you just can't get out of a brochure. Things like over all ambiance of the ship, usual passenger mix for the time you want to go etc. If anything, they may offer you an extra perk or two if you decide to book the trip with them.

Just a note: remember common professional courtesy, you wouldn't walk into your CPA's office, take up an hour of their time and then leave without expecting to pay a bill to cover their time. Either keep it short if you don't think you're going to book with them or offer a small gift to show you appreciate their time and expertise. Even an offer of $10 or an offer to bring a cup of coffee when you arrive would surprise them and show you are worth investing their time in. (unless they are really horrid then just walk...no run out!)

chri1720, if your not quite sure if you made the right choice, take your list down to your local cruise travel agency and discuss it with an agent. (Call around a bit first until you find one that is truly interested in your trip and starts asking a lot of questions.) They may have some suggestions or insights you just can't get out of a brochure. Things like over all ambiance of the ship, usual passenger mix for the time you want to go etc. If anything, they may offer you an extra perk or two if you decide to book the trip with them.

Just a note: remember common professional courtesy, you wouldn't walk into your CPA's office, take up an hour of their time and then leave without expecting to pay a bill to cover their time. Either keep it short if you don't think you're going to book with them or offer a small gift to show you appreciate their time and expertise. Even an offer of $10 or an offer to bring a cup of coffee when you arrive would surprise them and show you are worth investing their time in. (unless they are really horrid then just walk...no run out!)

Thanks for the advice, i did something similar to what you said, but instead of a travel agent, i went to a cruise "veteren" and ask him about it. I had three choices on my final list, three different places, three different lines. In the end, i was happy with my choice but i know whatever happens on this first one, i'll be back, i'm definitely hooked.

I did try calling a few TA before i made up my mind, but they didn't tell me anything that i didn't already know. Cruise critic is like an amazing library about cruises, so grateful to everyone who posted on this board, wouldn't know what i would do with all these questions in my mind when i started considering about cruises.:)

Archived