Better to rent car or use taxi?

Daghis

We're flying in on Friday and staying overnight at the Holiday Inn (Port of Miami) before boarding the Liberty of the Seas on Saturday.

Is it better simply to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and then another taxi to the pier, or perhaps rent a car at the airport?

If I rent a car, is it then possible to return the car to a location close to the pier with shuttle service? I could drop off the family and luggage, and then return the car and come back on their shuttle.

What do others choose to do when not using cruise transfers and staying overnight before the cruise?

My dad and I were pondering this question yesterday when looking at the Port of los Angeles. We asked about renting the car at one location and returning it at a different (i.e. airport then cruise port) and they said it is doable, but they charge an additional $40 for a one way rental. Don' know if this is true of all companies or not. We just called the one that has a rental location at San Pedro cruise port.

We're flying in on Friday and staying overnight at the Holiday Inn (Port of Miami) before boarding the Liberty of the Seas on Saturday.

Is it better simply to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and then another taxi to the pier, or perhaps rent a car at the airport?

If I rent a car, is it then possible to return the car to a location close to the pier with shuttle service? I could drop off the family and luggage, and then return the car and come back on their shuttle.

What do others choose to do when not using cruise transfers and staying overnight before the cruise?

We always arrive day before on ports outside florida. We have found to rent a car from the airport and drop off at a different location the drop fee and rental is more than the total cost of a taxi ride from the airport to our hotel and then to the port. The only place we have found that to be different is Port Canaveral renting a car from MCO (Orlando) and drop at the port. My guess is that there are many who then rent a car on the return one way back to Orlando from Port C so the cars are recycled naturally and no need to ferry the cars.

From most dowmtown hotels to the port the taxi is approx $25. Probably the same cost from the airport but check the board in the airport your hotel may provide free shuttle service.

When I researched this in March, it would be no problem to do it with Hertz (they are closest to terminal), BUT it cost a lot more than renting the car, paying to park it and returning @ airport. The rate for a return car from the terminal was nearly double what they would have charged for the rental car on the leg to the port! Especially if you have any coupons, etc.:rolleyes:

Archived