Exchaning Currency in Port

My husband and I are set to sail on the Jewel on 8-5-07. We´ve been reading up on currecny exchange, can anyone give me suggestions as to where to exchange currency in port. NCL said that they only exchange $100 maxinum on board and with all of my research with commissions and different rates I just wanted to see if anyone had exchanged at ports and it the exchange or commission was extreme. Thanks.

This topic comes up often on these boards. From my experience, your best bet in terms of exchange rates is to use your ATM in port. Be sure to find an ATM machine with the symbols that match to the back of your card. Also, before you leave for your cruise be sure to contact the ATM Bank Company to let them know your travel dates and destinations. Do the same for your credit card company(s).

Keith

Here are two great web sites on the issue of currency exchange:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm

My personal experience in May proved that using a debit card and the bank ATM machines for my Euros was the least costly option. I did make sure that I called the companies before I left home to give them my travel dates, plus raised my daily limit (if possible). I used a Paypal debit card as the fee was only $1. per use and 1% exchage fee. The flyerguide article above gives a good overview of bank cards and charges. A few cards are even better than Paypal on the low fees, etc. but I already had the Paypal account and card so used that one. My Bank of America card was my backup, but never had to use it. Their fees are $5. per withdrawal plus 1%. Because I made sure to use bank ATM machines I never had a charge show up from the European bank ATM machines (that was a pleasant surprise as I have found that many machines in the USA DO charge extra fees for their use)

I also used my Capitol One credit card whenever possible because that credit card "eats" the usual exchange fees most cards impose. Always tell the merchant, when using a credit card, to charge you in the local currency. You get the best deal that way.

Using debit cards in an ATM is the best way to change currency - you get the bank rate rather than the tourist rate so generally even with the fees you get a better deal. Check with your bank for fees and also make sure you have a pin that will work in Europe (must be 4 digits).

NCL charges on board ship are in Dollars also.

I am a manager for a large bank. The best way from my professional and personal experience is to get a chunk of the money from your bank at home before you leave. Usually you wont have a fee and the rate is pretty reasonable. Then when you need more money on the trip, just use your debit or credit card. If you want cash, use a local ATM to get the currency, this will usually be the cheapest way. Just made sure that the PIN number on the card is only 4 numbers.

Archived