digital camera binoculars

Flintstone

Anyone have any experience with these? Seems like a perfect choice for an Alaskan cruise..but from what I've read...they all seem to have only .35 megapixel. I don't have great knowlege of digitals....I just keep mine set on "auto" everything and leave it that way.

Any help would be appreciated.

9/2000 Carnival Tropicale
12/2001 NCL Norway
9/2002 NCL Norway
10/2003 Disney Wonder
2005...Alaska

A friend of mine has a pair of the camera/binoculars. I asked her opinion and she said it took great pictures. The only real issue she had with it was that you had to download the pictures pretty quick. If the batteries go dead on it, your pictures are gone. There was no way to change out memory cards and it only held about 10-15 pictures.

So, it may not be the ideal option for Alaska. Too bad, I would have bought some, too.

Hope this helped.

Fascination 11/01
Inspiration 6/02
Conquest 1/03
Holiday 7/03
Radiance 5/04

I looked at some today at Costco that were 2.1 megapixel and 8x magnification (for just under $100) but I decided against it because I'm not convinced the digital camera part will take the pictures fast enough. This is a problem with all digital cameras, you push the button and the shutter doesn't open for a second or two. That would be no help whatsoever when taking pictures of a whale. Am I wrong on this? Have digital cameras gotten better?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04
May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

We went to Galyan's to buy these and the salesperson actually talked us out of them. He said they don't actually take the same zoom picture that you see through your binoculars- the pictures will look much farther away, like a regular digital camera. After hearing that we were bummed so we went for regular binoculars instead.

If you think about it, it makes sense. If any camera had that kind of zoom, it would be alot more expensive.

we have these and used them in florida in the keys and everglades. the pictures came out real nice. yes, you have to upload them to your laptop quickly before the battery goes dead! they do have more expensive ones with a memory card.
for what they are they were fine. we will also be taking a digital camera (currently shopping) and a 35mm.

Sheree

sheree...Do they actually take the picture as you see it thru the bino? Also, would you lose what's in the memory if you try to change batteries? (How long roughly Do they last?) I love my current (old) digital..but the zoom on it is practically non-existant. We will need to purchase some binos anyway...but maybe some less expensive binos and a good zoom film camera and my trusty digital would be a better idea? I really dislike being loaded down with "stuff" when we travel...but it sounds like the "nature of the beast" for this trip!!
Thanks all for your input...much appreciated.

9/2000 Carnival Tropicale
12/2001 NCL Norway
9/2002 NCL Norway
10/2003 Disney Wonder
2005...Alaska

i don't know about the changing of the batteries part. i uploaded mine at the end of the day.
the pictures are very close to what you see. in the everglades I used my 35mm camera (140zoom) and these, and got closer pictures with the digital binoculars.
it is a lot to carry, binoculars, digital, 35mm!! and back in the cabin, the laptop!

Sheree

Archived