Tipping Currency

c-legs

Good evening,

When on a European cruise, does anybody who '' been there ,done that'' remember if the currency for extra tips for the crew is recommended in Euros, since the crew generally spends the entire season there ?? Or is it in US$$ like the shipboard account ( which obviosly mean they get the ''base rate'' tip $$ in US$....)

Advices are acknowledged in advance.

Thanks

Cheers

;)

Good old USD! However, I often provide extra tips for room service in the "lcoal currency" if I had extra. Obviously it would not be appropriate to use Pesos while in Europe but certainly one could tip extra in Pesos while in Mexico. However, the "recommeded tips" at the end of the crusie are generally paid in USD.

We do not pre pay our tips when we book our cruise , but tip where we feel appropriate at the end. Given the very excellent service we have had on all ships we have sailed on, none of our crews have gone short.

To answer your question, we always get dollars to give the staff. I am sure the crews will have some sott of system below decks of "swopping " what currences they do not want.

We asked our room steward what she would prefer for the Extra Tips (we left the normal on the account) she said either as they can change USD pretty easily into Euro on the Ship when they are able to get off, hopefully they get a better rate than we do :(. However, we ended up tipping in both for room service, etc. We knew our waiter was going to be spending a few days away with friends when Millie went into Dry dock at the end of our sailing, so we tried to feed him Euros.

We will be in Vancouver for 2 days prior to taking Infinity in September. I've heard that we may pay for various things in Canada with USD but that we will get CDN in change.

That's fine with us--however would it then be OK to use these CDN dollars to tip for extra service on the ship? We would not want to go back to the US with extra CDN dollars anyway.

Ray Mac

Archived