Breamar Stability

Dinkey

Just returned from 7nt Norwegian Fjords. 80% of ship passengers and crew were laid up for up to 36hours due to extreamly rough seas. Did not see Sunday 29th August at all flat on my back!!!:(

The crew although ill were really great, a lot of the crew although ill had to work through this terrible weather how they do it I don't know. One room service waiter dropped food at a passengers cabin and ran off appologising he was feeling sick, well done to him!!;)

Problem witht the Breamar it has a flat bottom so does not hold stability very well, why they use her on this route is beyond me.

The ship itself is great, food, service and entertainment second to none, this combination made our holiday as the weather was terrible all week.

Only one small niggle is that they do not provide enough coaches on their excursions and they tend to be full before the ship even sails, as bad weather was forcast and waiting lists over 50pax on many of the trips they could of catered for more. A lot of dissapointed passengers.

I would recomend the ships excursions especially in the smaller tendered ports as there is not a great deal to do in bad weather. However if you fancy doing the composer Greigs house tour it is cheaper to get the coach outside the information centre in Bergan, cost of £26 payable in the info centre or on the coach, three hour trip including sightseeing of Bergan. A saving of £14 (£40) the F.O.excursion. Also the Norway in a nutshell is a good buy although expensive fellow passengers said it was worth every penny.

I do not think this destination was particulary child friendly, a few children on board looked bored stiff most of the time!!!:confused:

Some wonderful memories and some awful memories but Fred Olsen still a small and friendly company, the staff show brought tears to my eyes. Unfortunatley I prefer larger vessels especially in the North Sea so will not return.:)

Trish Doolan.

Trish - we came to the same conclusion after Braemar handled quite moderate seas in the Med so badly. I don't know what effect slicing her in two and sticking a bit in the middle will have but I don't think we will be back on board very soon.

I agree about the crew. We found them just about the finest we had sailed with.

David.

Guest Anorak33

Hi, how do you know the Braemar has a flat bottom? Is there somewhere details of the construction, I would be interested to see it.

Sorry you had rough seas, I never had a problem on Braemar, now on QE2 we had some real rough weather and many older passengers confined themselves to their cabins for 4 days round the Cape.

Personally I am one of those annoying people who enjoy a good gale, I was up front at the sharp end doing a Titanic thing with my arms stretched out held up only by the wind.

Not sure I would have liked to be on Braemar in the 90ft seas we had on QE2, somehow I feel QE2 is not very likely to sink in any storm we would encounter.

spoke to the doctor who said he saw 100 people with seasickness but there were many more. glad i was not on it then, just returned from the mini cruise vto kirkwall and bergen. yes the crew were really great. we had force 4 and could feel it move about a bit. i was on her in 1994 as the CUNARD DYNASTY she was very rough riding then in the pacific as it was my 1st cruise. i sat in the reception the 1st 2 nights, iam better now!!

dave

• 5 months later...

Archived