Is Galaxy in desperate need of refurb.?

RnD

I agree that the long-running problems with the fogged windows and the retractable roof are of concern, but those are both issues that cannot be fixed while the ship sails.

I keep saying - THE ROOF IS FIXED!!!

I have seen it working on a cruise this summer.

RnD "in desparate need of refurbishment" whoa no ship in that condition would be able to survive the adverse publicity. The Galaxy has been around for about 12 years, but is alive and well - maintained in good condition. She may not have all the bells and whistles of newer ships, but that is a trade off. For someone who has been on 48 cruises you have seen lots of ships - new and older. You were on the Horizon, and as you say, just before she was taken out of service. Does it surprise you that standards may not have been tops on a ship the X knew it was transferring? I personally would never plan a cruise on a ship that I knew was soon to leave the fleet for that very reason :)

Boy, this topic never gets old on this board, does it? ;)

My family and I were on the Galaxy in March of this year, and honestly, I would not use the words "tired" or "desperately in need of refurbishment" to describe her. True, she is not new and she does not have all of the amenities that some of the newer ships may have, but we loved being on her and were not bothered in the least by her character. While we were on the ship, they were replacing all the carpet in public areas, from the top floor on down. I am sure they have long been finished with this process. One of our cabins had had its carpet replaced, and I believe the bed linens and pillows in both our cabins were new. The retractable roof that everyone talks about -- I believe it was working while we were on the ship. The foggy windows -- Honestly, if you are sailing in January 2008, you are most likely sailing the southern Caribbean itinerary, and it is a BUSY itinerary, and you will not have much time to sit around and complain about the windows.

Yes, there were issues -- stains in the bathroom sink, stains on one of our cabin's carpet (the one that had not been replaced), worn-looking couches in the staterooms. But did those issues affect our enjoyment of the cruise? Most definitely not! The stains did not harrass us, the older furniture did not mock us -- we still enjoyed our vacation tremendously!

We truly loved everything about the ship, and I have been on the newer RC ships with all the extras. We were not lacking for anything on the Galaxy. The crew went out of their way to make us feel special, and we did not feel like we were shacking it up at a Motel 6. It is a lovely, lovely ship with grace and much character, and if it does go in for refurbishment, I hope they do not change much at all about her. She was easy to navigate and a joy to sail on. Out of all the places my kids have been to for vacation (including Disney and Europe), they have loved the Galaxy the most.

Enjoy your trip. If you spend your time enjoying your vacation, instead of going around looking for imperfections wherever you may be at (and I am certain you are not that type of person at all!), then you will have a great time on the Galaxy.

Linda :)

Linda, It's good to see your post. We also loved Galaxy. Actually we loved the cruise so much we decided it do it again this February 08. Wish you and your famiy were also going! We can't wait! Also joining us will be my sister and her husband. I'm sure we will all have a great time.

For anyone looking for a wonderful experience, forget the negative posts on this ship because you won't be bothered with Galaxy's "imperfections".

I challenge you to find ANY cruise ship (or hotel for that matter) without some maintenance issue if you look for it. And some of the issues that people report (like a stain, for example) could have occurred the day before and been rectified or replaced the day after, but that doesn't stop the word from getting out that THERE WAS A STAIN!

I agree that the long-running problems with the fogged windows and the retractable roof are of concern, but those are both issues that cannot be fixed while the ship sails. They require dry-dock. I think people would be FAR more upset if they cancelled entire cruises, often booked years in advance, to correct superficial problems... I don't know if Galaxy has ever been dry-docked in the years that these issues have existed...

What it comes down to is your degree of tolerance for maintenance issues. All ships will have them, so it's up to each individual to decide for him/herself how much is acceptable.

Hi Drew:

I agree with most of what you say. As a veteran of well over 50 cruises, I have sailed on my share of older vessels. As a point of reference, one of my all time favorite ships that I sailed on many times was the S/S Norway. At the time of my last cruise on that magnificent ship, she was well into her 30's agewise.

The reason I am telling you this is in case you were referring to me when you spoke of "THE STAINS". Please rest assured that I would never complain of a random stain here or there at any facility that hosts so many guests at a time. The problem with the stains in the upholstered furniture of the public rooms on the Galaxy was quite noticeable. There were many, many chairs and couches that were stained. The stains were not new either, but rather well worn into the fabric of the seats. Is this a problem that can be fixed during the course of the ship's normal operation? On a case by case basis, of course! But, by the number of chairs that need attention, I can tell you that this has not been happening on the Galaxy!

I will end my post with the same statement that I have made on every post I have made about the Galaxy since I got back. Does the Galaxy need some work to correct maintenance issues? Yes. Would that keep me from sailing on her again? ABSOLUTELY NOT! My family had a wonderful cruise on the Galaxy. Aside from a few maintenance issues of the "physical plant", Galaxy is a good ship.

Just Got Back From Galaxy 24/7 Med Cruise. We Had One Sky Suite And One Outside Cabin On Deck 8. I've Had The Fortune Of Enjoying 20 Cruises Aprox And Can Say That I Would Cruise On The Galaxy Tomorrow, If I Only Could. The Ship Has Been Around For Some Years Now But I Was Pleasently Impressed With The Mantainance They've Given This Ship. There May Be Some Things That May Show The Pass Of Time But None To Make The Cruise Less Enjoyable. Both The Sky Suite On Deck 12 And The Outside Cabin On Deck 8 Had New Bedding. The Stewards On Both Deck Went Out Of Their Way To Make The Best Vacation For You, Always Smiling And Tending To Your Every Need. Sometimes In The Past, I've Felt A Little Glad At The End Of 2 Week Cruises Of Going Back Home, Well....not This Time Or All Of The Times I've Sailed On The Millennium. Our Last Comment We Did Was "if We Could Just Stay And Do A B2b"! We Were Really Comfortable And Happy There! So No Worries! The Galaxy Is A Beautiful Ship With Lots Of People Working On Making Her Look Always Better!!!

Stay Happy!!

Archived