Alaska, fall clothes

sharonkrn

This is going to be my first Alaska cruise. What type of clothes do you wear in mid September? I am from the south so this will be a sudden change for us. I understand it is cold and rainy. This cruise is a chartered cruise for Submarine Veterens and there is not going to be any formal nights. (yeah!) I was thinking jeans into port, but that would not be any fun if they got wet. What do you suggest?

We did land/sea from RCCL 2 yrs ago- we lucked out because we only had one day rain at Mendenhal Glacier. Weather was cold- day we left Fairbanks it was 32 degrees. On board I wore jeans with sweat shirts and on tours I wore a lite winter coat (Not down)with lite sweaters/polos

We did have formal nite and did dress for dinner- since it was indoors I did wear sleeveless gown

One of the best cruises we ever took

This is going to be my first Alaska cruise. What type of clothes do you wear in mid September? I am from the south so this will be a sudden change for us. I understand it is cold and rainy. This cruise is a chartered cruise for Submarine Veterens and there is not going to be any formal nights. (yeah!) I was thinking jeans into port, but that would not be any fun if they got wet. What do you suggest?

Submarine Vets - what a great, interesting bunch. Have a wonderful trip !! We have cruised Alaska three times, once in September and we are from the south as well, Texas. On board wear jeans, or corduroy pants, or jogging suits, wind pants, bring short and long sleeved tees, flannel shirts, or sweatshirts, and a lightweight fleece jacket. When you go to the glaciers, layer up, add a rain jacket with hood if it is raining and gloves and warm hat. In port wear wind pants or jogging outfits if it looks like rain, or jeans if sunny. Carry your camera, rain jacket, binocculars, snacks, water, etc. in a backpack. It will be like Oct./Nov. weather in the South. Just delightful. Every port excursion we went on, I wore jogging pants, long sleeved tee, light polar fleece jacket (from Lands End or Eddie Bauer) and rain jacket in the backpack (no one carries umbrellas in Alaska) except the occassional tourist, :) and jogging shoes/tennis shoes. Perfect. Don't overpack. You will wear your clothes more than once except for underwear, since you will not be getting dirty or sweating :D . Also, if you have not been on the Alaska boards.......tons of info there about every aspect of your cruise. Enjoy, gg

last sept i did jeans, hooded sweat with dry days and a rain poncho for wet days. different layers of either t-shirt or light weight sweater. make sure to pack some water-proof shoes with non-slip soles. walking down the ship's ramp or stairs at the ports, can get slippery. the temps ranged from mid 40s to mid 50s, rain in juneau and ketchikan. fog the morning in skagway. sea days were all warm and sunny..go figure?

the best thing i toojk was my sleeveless fleece vest..it was great as the warm layer under the rain poncho. not as bulky as a full jacket.

on the ship i just did black pants and blouse or sweater...stayed comfortable.

have a great trip

I live in the south too and went on my first cruise to Alaska last

summer. It was spectaculor:)

I would definitley wear layers. I brought turtlenecks and pullover

sweaters, along with a fleece jacket.

I see you live in SC so your winters can get nippy. If you own

a hat, throw it in, along with gloves and a poncho.

No formal nights...you could still wear nice pants and tops if you

want:)

For daytime I did wear jeans and I own quite a few pairs of

molekskin pants. They feel like suade but are machine washable

and are very easy to pack so I brought them too.

I hope you have a wonderful time...Alaska is truely

majestic:)

Archived