cabin upgrade

Unlike Carnival and Norwegian, on RCCL I have always received the cabin category originally chosen and it never changed. Carnival gave me a sweet upgrade once that was several categories up. Norwegian sold me an upgrade for a discounted rate once which i would not have gotten to start with.

In all the RCCL cruises I look at even now, the category minimum guarantee doesn't seem to be available to book.

We've cruised several times and have heard of others who had their cabins upgraded. Is this something you have to request or were they just lucky? We're going on AOS on 2/08 and have an inside room on the 10th.

I will include you in my own prayers to the Upgrade Fairy ;)

If you're speaking of a FREE upgrade, no one really knows HOW they decide who (if any) get them!!!

If there are better rooms available when you board, you can "upgrade" (for a price) at the pier.

Best bet is to book what you really want to begin with--there are no guarantees that you will get an upgrade, no matter what kind!

I don't understand why they took the guarantee away. At least it has not been available on any cruise I have looked at taking. We took the guarantee a few times and once we did get a nicer cabin than what we would have gotten if we booked our original choice.

Ann

Unlike Carnival and Norwegian, on RCCL I have always received the cabin category originally chosen and it never changed. Carnival gave me a sweet upgrade once that was several categories up. Norwegian sold me an upgrade for a discounted rate once which i would not have gotten to start with.

In all the RCCL cruises I look at even now, the category minimum guarantee doesn't seem to be available to book.

On our honeymoon cruise (Brilliance of the Seas 2002), my wife and I booked a Category X, which is the standard balcony guarantee. We ended up getting a free upgrade to a Grand Suite. Ever since then, however, no such luck on the upgrades...unless, of course, we wanted to pay for it.

Michael & Silke

I don't understand why they took the guarantee away. At least it has not been available on any cruise I have looked at taking. We took the guarantee a few times and once we did get a nicer cabin than what we would have gotten if we booked our original choice.

Ann

It just depends on when you book. I think they tend to open up the guarantee category closer to sailing. For our upcoming cruise, we were originally in a D3, then upgraded to a D2 when the prices dropped. However, the prices later dropped on a W guarantee, so we upgraded again. We were able to get a really nice cabin assignment through our TA and have no expectations about being upgraded (although that would be great!). I've been checking prices every day and I've seen several different guarantees open and close in basically all of the ranges of cabins. I guess they're just trying to fill up the ship!:eek:

Archived