Gold Panning

AliciaSK

I am interested in panning for Gold but have heard some of the tours are pretty cheesy. Can anyone tell me if there is one that lets you really try it?

We are going to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway this trip.

Thanks for any suggestions! Alicia in WA

Sun Princess scheduled 9/2/07

All tours will let you pan for gold and teach you how to do it, but the only town with gold in the area is Juneau. All operators salt the gold pokes they give you with gold big enough to be seen and then will sell you a pendant to put it in.

I just returned and went panning in Juneau. We were taken to a stream where some locals were also panning. I asked our guide that given the amount of tourists that visit, isn't the stream pretty much depleated, but he said there is plenty of gold still there to be found. He went to that spot on his days off as well and has made out pretty well. I found a couple of flakes in my pan. This particular excursion was one of Carnival's. There were no shops there where you could take your "find" as it was a real stream and not commercial at all. There were some tours advertised that would take you to a place where the water was heated and I'm sure that was very touristy and included a gift shop. I thought our trip was way too short; time flies quickly while you are panning and those plates are very heavy! Who knows, maybe you will get lucky!!!

We took an excursion in Juneau last week that sounds a lot like the above through Carnival. (It was probably the same one) We were taken to a stream. The "prospector" gave everyone a pan of dirt and some of us used the stream, some used a couple of half barrels they had around. When we ran out of sand, the guide pointed to a shovel he'd stood up in the middle of the stream and said, "There's the shovel!" Unless they "salted" the entire stream, it was genuine. And yes, we found gold in the sand we dug out of the stream ourselves. No pendants, just tiny little plastic vials to carry home your "loot".

We took an excursion in Juneau last week that sounds a lot like the above through Carnival. (It was probably the same one) We were taken to a stream. The "prospector" gave everyone a pan of dirt and some of us used the stream, some used a couple of half barrels they had around. When we ran out of sand, the guide pointed to a shovel he'd stood up in the middle of the stream and said, "There's the shovel!" Unless they "salted" the entire stream, it was genuine. And yes, we found gold in the sand we dug out of the stream ourselves. No pendants, just tiny little plastic vials to carry home your "loot".

Anyone know of the company's name that I can possibly booked independently?

Anyone know of the company's name that I can possibly booked independently?

http://alaskaadventures.com/alaska_day_tours/pages/j_gold_mining_panning.htm

A previous poster is right; Gold Creek is not seeded. Fresh gold is constantly being washed down from the mountains. The mountains all around are honeycombed with former mine shafts. If you're lucky, some locals will be out panning as well. They don't wear the cute sourdough outfit, but they're serious about it!

I've watched folks on the tour, and if you want to pan in the creek, waterproof shoes are a must. And you need to be able to crouch. ;) But for those who don't fill that bill, there's the tubs of mud to pan. There's nothing unauthentic about that; you'll see local panners filling buckets and panning through the dirt on shore.

I do think an hour and half can be a bit long, but the area all around the creek is gorgeous, and worth exploring.

I'm glad to hear that this isn't a hokey fake. My friend and I are going on this excursion on Sept. 12 and are really excited about it. A "once-in-a-lifetime" experience. It's my second favorite excursion we booked - right behind the dogsledding one. Can't wait to be on this cruise!! (Really need a vacation!). ;)

A previous poster is right; Gold Creek is not seeded. Fresh gold is constantly being washed down from the mountains. The mountains all around are honeycombed with former mine shafts. If you're lucky, some locals will be out panning as well. They don't wear the cute sourdough outfit, but they're serious about it!

I've watched folks on the tour, and if you want to pan in the creek, waterproof shoes are a must. And you need to be able to crouch. ;) But for those who don't fill that bill, there's the tubs of mud to pan. There's nothing unauthentic about that; you'll see local panners filling buckets and panning through the dirt on shore.

I do think an hour and half can be a bit long, but the area all around the creek is gorgeous, and worth exploring.

Thanks...this one sound good anyone know how this place compares to the Klondike Gold Dredge Tour. I think this one may be the only one with authentic gold.

• 4 weeks later...

We are sailing in May through NCL. I am still not seeing a name that we can book independently. My husband really would like to go gold panning but doesn't want to do the cheesy ones. He would really like to do the real thing. Where is this? Thanks sounds like fun.

Opps! Too much water on the brain thinking about cruising, My DH showed me the link you put up. Sorry about the last response.

Opps! Too much water on the brain thinking about cruising, My DH showed me the link you put up. Sorry about the last response.

Archived