Difficulty of going from LAX to Mann's Chinese Theatre

How long and how hard is it to get to Gromann's Chinese Theatre? My daughter is a Marilyn Monroe fan and would like to visit there before we go to Long Beach for the night. I have not driven in LA since I was 16,but rented a car as one of my daughters hates riding in a bus/shuttle.

Thank you.

Barbara

It's very easy, but it depends on the day and your time frame.

If you are interested, and let me know (are you talking about going from LAX to Hollywood to Long Beach in one day or time frame?) what you want to do exactly (more details)...

I'd be happy to put together a "Marilyn Monroe" tour for you!:D

I know several places where she lived, etc.

You could do a driving tour of the various parts of her life/career on your way to The Chinese Theater.

If you're interested, let me know.

CJW

Thanks Curt. That would be great. We are coming in around 1 to LAX on Saturday Oct 6 renting a car there and would like to be in Long Beach before dark as we are staying at the Coast Hotel--thanks to you and another helpful cruiser. I will turn the car in at Long Beach the same day as we will take the shuttle on Sunday to the Pride. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Curt. That would be great. We are coming in around 1 to LAX on Saturday Oct 6 renting a car there and would like to be in Long Beach before dark as we are staying at the Coast Hotel--thanks to you and another helpful cruiser. I will turn the car in at Long Beach the same day as we will take the shuttle on Sunday to the Pride. Any help will be appreciated.

Okay, no problem!:D

So, in general for planning Sunset around October 6th is going to be about 6:30 PM, so depending on how critical that is in your planning (then it usually takes 5 to 10 minutes to get "dark")...

So, what I'm going to do after this, is give you some important Marilyn Monroe locations on the way to the Chinese Theater.

I think that from the first point to the last point, can be done in about two hours (on a Saturday) especially with just jumping in and out of the car and spending a few minutes at each location.

So that's your middle time frame, after this get back to me, and we'll figure out the before and after time frame...

CJW

PS I'm doing this in a geographical line, not chronolgy of her life, but at the same token this tour moves from sadder times in her life to happier times by the end.;)

Feel free to use Mapblast (the best for LA) for any of these points of interest...

Marilyn Monroe home...

12305 Fifth Helena Drive

(This is right off of Carmelina Street - as you drive north and south here, you will see off to the east First Helena Drive, Second Helena Drive, etc.)

This is between San Vicente Blvd. on the South, and Sunset Blvd. on the North - Then, not directly but between Bundy Drive on the East, and 26th Street on the West).

Park Here on Carmelina looking towards Fifth Helena...

2967778210079337728BCJIJU_th.jpg

Be respectful of the neighbors, either walk up quickly, or drive by...

Basically if you are nice and respectful, you are fine...

Closer to the house entrance and gate...

2220768710079337728bTkufZ_th.jpg

Then up close, just so you know you are there...

2322996060079337728JZZUAb_th.jpg

Be respectful, this was her "favorite" residence, and where she finally passed away...:(

Then moving on...

Westwood Village Memorial Park...

1218 Glendon Avenue...

Now, this is a very small place, nice and peaceful, and quiet, and difficult to find (which is the entire point here...)

Very "hidden", so you want to look one block east of Westwood Blvd.

South less than one block on Wilshire Blvd.

Tricky part is that it is "hidden" amongst all of the buildings...

So, head south from Wilshire on Glendon...

Look left between the parking and building structures for this...

2722504290079337728mrjgAp_th.jpg

Go in towards the AVCO theater parking (which is all that most people are paying attention to...)

And then before that turn right...

2079999880079337728ZUjXhb_th.jpg

Very small area, but find some parking and look towards this building to give you perspective...

2661800100079337728YOwnHX_th.jpg

Closer then, here...

2313155740079337728lDjuZY_th.jpg

Then here you go...

Bring some flowers or some prayers, it's very nice and pleasant...

People arrive here from all over the world (if they can find it) to pay their respects...

2812696360079337728EWTUKK_th.jpg

Moving on...

Continuation...

The Beverly Hills Hotel...

9641 Sunset Blvd.

2391195750079337728rxnkmL_th.jpg

Ideally what you want to do is go up and find parking on Crescent Drive around the back side of the hotel (this is where the "good stuff" is...)

You are looking for this:

2834088940079337728FpJkoR_th.jpg

2403036240079337728hMpSjf_th.jpg

These are the bungalows. Most people don't notice, beause they almost look like separate houses, but they are part of the hotel.

Follow around and go exploring to more of the "inside" ones, look for paths like this:

2527184090079337728IDOOMw_th.jpg

People like them, because they are their own little "houses", but get the full services of the hotel staff (who are trained to be accomodating and discrete).

So, Marylin Monroe stayed here, when she wanted a private "hideout" or "getaway". When you see it, you can understand why it's a perfect place for that.

Now, if you want to believe any of the "rumors" about her affairs with The Kennedy's; then this is where they "allegedly" had their secret liasons.

In the bungalows here.;)

Moving on...

Next stop, further east down Sunset Blvd. is...

The Rainbow Bar and Grill

9015 Sunset Blvd.

Look for this:

2126234950079337728TMgCnk_th.jpg

2719801270079337728yCJUgI_th.jpg

2800979790079337728uUIXuZ_th.jpg

It used to be called The Villa Nova (so same building and restaurant, just different sign).

This is where Marylin had her first blind date with her future husband Joe DiMaggio. I guess it was a good evening.:D

There is parking in the rear (you might have to pay) or you can try to find street parking. Might be worth a quick bite, if you plan your time.

Further down Sunset Blvd, and up (and your last stop before the Theater) is...

...where Marylin and Joe spent their Honeymoon!

The Knickerbocker Hotel

1714 N. Ivar Street

2124231810079337728zOclLu_th.jpg

2439274810079337728CGMKkY_th.jpg

It's actually a private retirement hotel now, but what I really like about it is...

It still looks the same as it did back then, so you can imagine back in time.

It's very easy to park and get some good pictures on the street with this in the background.

It would probably only take about 5 minutes to do this, and get some great historical Hollywood shots that most people don't realize is there.

Then other "fun facts" about the hotel, just to add...

Houdini's widow conducted her "infamous" seances here, to try to contact her late husband.

William Frawley (Fred from the "I Love Lucy" show) frequented here, and unfortunately died of a heart attack at the front door!

Elvis Preseley and his entuorage took over the 11th floor when he was in town filming "Love Me Tender".

So now you are going to circle around back west a few blocks down Hollywood Blvd. to The Chinese Theater...

The Chinese Theater

6925 Hollywood Blvd.

You can sometimes find street parking around, or make it easy and just park in one of the lots.

2647838720079337728qDVjwR_th.jpg

Now look for this and go straight forward...

2478292200079337728HdyBwm_th.jpg

Go right to the entrance there, and look down for the "Time Capsule".

Then go directly left (West) and you'll find Marilyn's prints!

That's the best way I can desribe how to find it quickly (otherwise, you'd be surprised how long it can take to find the ones you are looking for...

Then when you are "done", back out front on the same side of Hollywood Blvd. look for these shops (there are several right next to this one)...

2487911910079337728zFExxT_th.jpg

They have lots of iconic Marilyn Monroe items, and personally the ones that I think would be amongst the "coolest" for a young lady would be these:

2992533260079337728PmejQC_th.jpg

2086797790079337728CulFnA_th.jpg

Inexpensive (so read that as not built to last forever), so maybe pick up a couple so that when one wears out, there are backups!

And there are different styles in the different stores, so I'd look at a few first before deciding and buying.

I've got one more option on the way back (if it's of interest)...

Her star on the Walk of Fame is on the south side of the street one block East of the theater.

So cross south (across from the theater - look for the same side of the street as the Jimmy Kimmel show theater), then go across Highland Blvd.

Her star is somewhere around Arnold Schwarzneggar, Judy Garland, and Fred Astaire...

I actually have to do some work now, so I'll give directions and time frames later...

CJW

Westwood Village Memorial Park...

1218 Glendon Avenue...

Now, this is a very small place, nice and peaceful, and quiet, and difficult to find (which is the entire point here...)

Very "hidden", so you want to look one block east of Westwood Blvd.

South less than one block on Wilshire Blvd.

Tricky part is that it is "hidden" amongst all of the buildings...

So, head south from Wilshire on Glendon...

Look left between the parking and building structures for this...

2722504290079337728mrjgAp_th.jpg

Go in towards the AVCO theater parking (which is all that most people are paying attention to...)

And then before that turn right...

2079999880079337728ZUjXhb_th.jpg

Very small area, but find some parking and look towards this building to give you perspective...

2661800100079337728YOwnHX_th.jpg

Closer then, here...

2313155740079337728lDjuZY_th.jpg

Then here you go...

Bring some flowers or some prayers, it's very nice and pleasant...

People arrive here from all over the world (if they can find it) to pay their respects...

2812696360079337728EWTUKK_th.jpg

Moving on...

The building on the corner (next to the one with the theaters) is where I used to worked. If you're lucky, you'll find a metered parking space...the parking lots are tres expensive (my PR firm only picked up half the cost of parking).

Archived