Photo Books

I have just received the first of 2 books I had made with pictures from our cruise through the Panama. I wanted some way other than scrapbooking or photo albums to display our photos. I am so glad I discovered this company, the website is: http://www.photoinpress.ca. For those who have not heard of these books it is well worth looking into. You download a program that allows you to select, crop, organize, choose several layouts and add text. Then you send your completed layout through their website and they look after the rest. Your book is professionaly bound and the quality of the pages is that of a picture book you would buy in a book store. I received my finished book in less than 2 weeks. My amature photos look very impressive and professional. The book I just received are photos I took during our pre-cruise week in New York City, I converted them all to black and white. The second book is the cruise through the Panama and the port of call we visited. Can't wait now to see the results. The cost is based on how many pages and size you choose to make the book. In comparison to having to buy good quaility photo paper, ink and a book to display finished work, I think it is a great deal. These are memories I want to cherish for years to come and have found a great way to preserve them. The link above is one of many that are available, just do a search for photo books and enjoy creating a beautiful memory.:D

Shutterfly also has a great layout - I made one for our cruise this past April on the Miracle - You can actually pick the picture which is printed on the front of the book and the back of the book. Walmart photo online also has layouts and the pricing is a little less, but I have no first hand knowledge of their product :)

Very nice. Looks very similar to mypublisher.com. I made my mom an album and she cried when I gave it to her, it was that nice. I think they're great as gifts. Thanks for sharing.:)
The same experience with my grandmother when we gave her a book of the year's photos of her great-grandaughter (my dd). It has now become an annual tradition each year to present one to her and my in-laws covering the years events of dd. Best gift for people who have everything and you never know what to buy them. We also use mypublisher.com and have been very happy with their service.

For less expensive endevours, like softcover photo "brag" books, kodakgallery.com has a very reasonably priced one which is also of good quality.

Another recommendation for mypublisher.com -- I've been using them for years, and love the quality of their books.

I tend to use the full-bleed, single image per page layout, and upload layouts I've done myself using Photoshop -- that way, you get more creativity in designing the look of your pages. The preset layouts in these photo book programs are nice enough, but fairly boring... Just a tip, for those who are amateur graphic designers like me! :)

Wow... this changed my life!

I didn't even know you could do this... where was I!!!

Thanks mountainview - this site is also in French and English (so is the software) which makes it a bit more convenient for our household!

I think like many have said that this can make a perfect gift for people who have everything!

Thanks again ... got to go create my first album!

MC

I got overwhelmed with scrapbooking, so many choices and it ended up being so expensive.

Sort of the same thing but I use Photo Shop Elements to create digital scrapbooks that I print at home. I bought 8.5x11" fabric scrapbook albums and glued a photo mat & picture of the ship on the front.

My wife used Costco for her photo book. We sent it right to our daughter, so we did not see the results, but our daughter said it was very nice. My wife usually does her own scrapbooks, but wanted to get this one done right away. She said the cost was about the same if she had done it herself. Not bad considering they did everything for her.

I have now received both of the books I ordered. The quality is better than I was expecting and they were shipped within 2 days of receiving my order. I think I have now hooked alot of my freinds on doing this with their photos. Thank you to everyone for posting the other sites that offer these books it is great to have a variety to choose from. These books have sparked my intrest into photography and the compliments I have received are very encouraging. Now I need advise on a SLR camera to help fuel my adiction! ;)

Have fun creating your own masterpeices.

Jody

I have now received both of the books I ordered. The quality is better than I was expecting and they were shipped within 2 days of receiving my order. I think I have now hooked alot of my freinds on doing this with their photos. Thank you to everyone for posting the other sites that offer these books it is great to have a variety to choose from. These books have sparked my intrest into photography and the compliments I have received are very encouraging. Now I need advise on a SLR camera to help fuel my adiction! ;)

Have fun creating your own masterpeices.

Jody

Ok...damn you!

There! Having said that in response to your posting this subject (which will undoubtedly cost me a lot of money in the near future), I'll now take a moment to thank you for doing so!

What a great outlet for creativity. I am putting one together now and will probably have to buy a new coffee table too...the book will make it look sooooo shabby!:D

BTW, take a look HERE for an article I wrote on choosing cameras.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Dave, Thank you for the link to the article. The information was what I was looking for. I have admired your photography since finding the Cruise Critic board. Every picture seems to tell a story. Sorry for costing you some money, but the satisfaction of seeing someone enjoy something you created is worth every penny. I now look at the world differently, slowing down to notice the detail of a building, the colors of a sun set or how light and shadow can change an object.

Enjoy your journey into photo book world.:D

Jody

Sandy, I too liked to scrapbook, but wanted a new option for a creative way to display my pictures. Some of the companies offer backgrounds that are similar to scrapbook paper, the choices are endless. I liked the ease of putting a book together. I am now trying several companies to see which I like better. If you have a lap top and download the program before you go on your cruise, you can actually put the book together while on your cruise and send it when you get home. You can use the program off line. I will be doing this on our next cruise...it will be a great pastime for sea days.

Enjoy your cruises and enjoy creating beautiful memories!:)

Jody

Ok...damn you!

There! Having said that in response to your posting this subject (which will undoubtedly cost me a lot of money in the near future), I'll now take a moment to thank you for doing so!

What a great outlet for creativity. I am putting one together now and will probably have to buy a new coffee table too...the book will make it look sooooo shabby!:D

BTW, take a look HERE for an article I wrote on choosing cameras.

Happy shooting!

Dave

don't ya just hate it when the general public gets hands on the backroom! i'm not waiting on the future. i already feel the impact in my other job. seriously, the change in doing business with publishers has made a big difference in the way i'm doing business.

i think i will require each each of my 500+ students to build a book for the semester! see if it will generate a back-log right at Christmas time.

btw, dave, i scanned the article. nice.

...I now look at the world differently, slowing down to notice the detail of a building, the colors of a sun set or how light and shadow can change an object...

Exactly!

Welcome to my world! It's a nicer place than the news would have you think! ;)

Thanks again,

Dave

don't ya just hate it when the general public gets hands on the backroom! i'm not waiting on the future. i already feel the impact in my other job. seriously, the change in doing business with publishers has made a big difference in the way i'm doing business.

i think i will require each each of my 500+ students to build a book for the semester! see if it will generate a back-log right at Christmas time.

btw, dave, i scanned the article. nice.

First they stuffed infinitely long rolls of film into our cameras, then they crammed a darkroom into our printers and we're now given a publishing empire at the click of a mouse...

The techno-gods are, indeed, smiling upon us!

Glad you liked the article.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Shutterfly also has a great layout - I made one for our cruise this past April on the Miracle - You can actually pick the picture which is printed on the front of the book and the back of the book. Walmart photo online also has layouts and the pricing is a little less, but I have no first hand knowledge of their product :)

I just received my Photo Book from Shutterfly and it is so beautiful. I love it and now can't wait to make more of future vacations and special occasions. I give it 2 thumbs up. It was easy to use and fun too. This is a must for vacation pictures.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried picaboo for their photobook? I did a search and it came up and it had a lot of really neat pages. I just did two books, I tried shutterfly and mypublisher. They both came out great, but I think mypublisher the colors were much more vivid. We are going on carnival glory in Nov 07 and I am trying to decide which one to use. But picaboo looks much nicer than the two I have tried but no one reccomended this one. Let me know if anyone has heard of this company.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

This is a fabulous thread...thanks everyone. DH and I have two cruises coming up the first next week :D and this info will come in handy. I bet this will help the "post cruise blues". Again thnaks, Char

I have used Shutterfly to make 2 photobooks of my Alaska cruise and my Greece/Turkey cruise and I LOVE these books. They come out so wonderful can't wait to go on more cruises and make more books.

Question for you fellow cruise addicts: Do you use any of your pictures for holiday photo cards? Everytime I go on a cruise I always use a picture or two from my vacation as my holiday/Christmas greeting card. Plus I love receiving photo cards from my family and friends from near and far. :D

• 3 months later...
I just received my Photo Book from Shutterfly and it is so beautiful. I love it and now can't wait to make more of future vacations and special occasions. I give it 2 thumbs up. It was easy to use and fun too. This is a must for vacation pictures.:D

For my personla use I use Shutterfly and that's the only one. I HAVE used mypublisher, dotphoto, and another but I can't remebe which one it was.

Here is a list of some of the companies you can make books through.

www.shutterfly.com

www.blurb.com

www.lulu.com

www.mypublisher.com

www.wolfcamera.com

www.walmart.com

www.snapfish.com

www.picaboo.com

www.walgreens.com

www.costco.com

www.ofoto.com

www.printmyphotobook.com

www.flickr.com

www.dotphoto.com

www.photoworks.com

www.ourhubbub.com

www.winkflash.com

http://www.viovio.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Shutterfly now has a gallery on it's site where people can post their entire photo albums on line. You can post your own or view other books. Lots of nice albums in the TRAVEL section. They have weddings, babies, year in review. Really nice to look at and you can even share your comments. Try it out.:D

Archived