Parking at Charleston, SC

big traveler

NO! Park at the pier! It is only about 80 bucks or so for the week. They take cash only, and it is very convenient. You take a little tram from the covered warehouse parking to the ship. You drop off your luggage before you even park. What could be more convenient?

Now, if you find a motel with free parking, it will be a ways out of town, and then you have to take a taxi both ways ($$), you have to lug your bags, and you risk vandalism on the car... it is not worth the risk or the hassle!

Salty dingo is correct, parking at the pier is very convenient with no worries, but just a note, the price of parking went up. I think it was $15.00 a day for a total of $105.00 for a seven nighter. The last time we cruised on the Majesty was Oct.'06. It does give you peace of mind to know that your vehicle is in a secured area during your trip.

SASSY

We parked at the pier and glad we did. You will park in a warehouse, and it is secure.

Hotel Shuttles are no longer allowed at the pier, so everyone has to load their luggage on a trailer behind a bus and go to the parking warehouse, once there if you are parked there you are all set, if not, you have to gather all of your luggage and wait outside until your hotel shuttle shows up, and load your luggage again for a 20 minute ride (the hotels w/free shuttles are near the airport in north charleston, 20 minutes away).

If parked at the warehouse, you are right in historic downtown charleston, if you want to explore, and I suggest you do if you have not been there before.

We stayed the night prior in Mt. Pleasant, right across the river and about a 5 min ride from the pier, this is a much nicer, safer area than North Charleston (I know Charleston Police officers), with many local places to eat.

If you still want the free parking and shuttle, they are the places near the airport, I can't remember the names.

MAC

NO! Park at the pier! It is only about 80 bucks or so for the week. They take cash only, and it is very convenient. You take a little tram from the covered warehouse parking to the ship. You drop off your luggage before you even park. What could be more convenient?

Now, if you find a motel with free parking, it will be a ways out of town, and then you have to take a taxi both ways ($$), you have to lug your bags, and you risk vandalism on the car... it is not worth the risk or the hassle!

They also take personal checks, that is what I used.:)

MAC

When we did this cruise last April, we stayed at the SHEM CREEK INN in Mt. Pleasant, about 5 miles from the pier - two stop lights down from Patriots Pont (USS YOURKTOWN). THEY ALLOWED US TO KEEP OUR CAR THERE FOR FREE! The taxi to the pier cost $25 (+-) each way. The Shem Creek Inn is very, very nice and very very reasonable. If we were ever cruise out of Charleston, we will definitely stay at the SHEM CREEK INN.

We found it through Hotels.Com, and got a GREAT RATE!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE SHEM CREEK INN! :D

Archived