Car Rentals in Skagway

Newser-Cruiser

We are in Skagway a few days after Avis leaves for the winter season. Someone mentioned that there were a few local car rentals near the port, but I can't find any other car rentals other than Sourdough, which I am told uses older cars. Does anyone know of any other car rentals in Skagway and how to contact them for a rental?

I also had the same issues, I called Avis, we will be there Sept. 18th, and they were to leave on the 15th, but they have extended there time. but you have to call the local number and not the 800 #, dont have it in front of me , but is on the Avis site.

I haven't mentioned it, but a few years ago, Avis did hold a car back for me and opened their office when I called them upon arrival. It appears they may still be doing this??

I DID see 2 cars at the ORE dock in July with another company rental bumper sticker, which I have forgotten??? Reminded of "Eurorental" when I've been in Europe. Being there were 2 cars and they were gone during the day, I would suspect they were daily rentals and not for anything else, since they were parked at the cruise ship???

I haven't mentioned it, but a few years ago, Avis did hold a car back for me and opened their office when I called them upon arrival. It appears they may still be doing this??

I DID see 2 cars at the ORE dock in July with another company rental bumper sticker, which I have forgotten??? Reminded of "Eurorental" when I've been in Europe. Being there were 2 cars and they were gone during the day, I would suspect they were daily rentals and not for anything else, since they were parked at the cruise ship???

what it ORE dock? It seems to be welcome sign to see another rental car company since Avis seems to be the only viable option given the poor review of sourdough. Can someone confirm?

The Ore Dck is one of 3 docks that the cruise ships berth at - the Railway Dock, the Broadway Dock and the Ore Dock (former site of a lead-zinc ore transfer shed).

Sourdough gets 1 or 2 bad reviews here each year, and just as many positive reviews - out of the hundreds of rentals they do.

Murray

Any suggestions for getting Sourdough to respond to requests for information? I have e-mailed and called and not had a response to either. We won't be there til September 24 so I think it's our only option. Thanks for any suggestions!

Sorry but I will never recommend this company, poorly run over years. But you probably will be best to call them, they never were good at emails with me.

We were in Skagway a few years ago and did a bus tour up the mountain (rather than the train) and enjoyed it tremendously. We booked it once we were in town. Does anyone know if it is still possible to do that? I haven't found any bus tours online. Thanks.

We were in Skagway a few years ago and did a bus tour up the mountain (rather than the train) and enjoyed it tremendously. We booked it once we were in town. Does anyone know if it is still possible to do that? I haven't found any bus tours online. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Any suggestions for getting Sourdough to respond to requests for information? I have e-mailed and called and not had a response to either. We won't be there til September 24 so I think it's our only option. Thanks for any suggestions!

My experience too. I am surprised why they still keep an anwering machine if they don't listen or reply message. But since you are going there 9/24, you are pretty much stuck with them since Avis is not an option by then.

Yes, they do have a website. http://www.geocities.com/sourdoughcarrentals/mainframeset.htm

But don't try to use that email address on their site. I sent several emails to them and never heard back from them

That actually is the right email address - they sometimes answer it. I just discovered that the site doesn't work with Internet Explorer (which is what I've always used), but does with Firefox.

Archived