When you are not on a cruise...

Sky Sweet

When you are not on a cruise do you enjoy smaller boats?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. When you are not on a cruise do you enjoy smaller boats?

• Yes, I own a sailboat
    • Yes, I own a power boat
    • Yes, I own a cabin cruiser
    • Yes, I like to spend time on a friend's sailboat
    • Yes, I like to spend time on a friend's power boat
    • Yes, I like to spend time on a friend's cabin cruiser
    • I like to take tours on a boat
    • Other- explain below
    • No, I love cruises but do not enjoy small pleasure boats
    • No, because I don't have the opportunity to be on a small boat

Yes! Good topic to introduce. That is how we first got interested in traveling on the large liners/cruise ships. I grew up spending summers nearly living on the family Matthews pleasure boat, traveling the Great Lakes. It was a natural leap to the decks of commercial ships. Both are wonderful, if different, experiences.

I’ll take a ride on anything that floats. Have owned a folding kayak (1961), a small sailboat, small powerboat and are now down to a canoe. We have rented cabin cruisers in the UK on the Thames and Norfolk Broads six times. Have done a 2-day cruise on the Missouri (www.riverboattwilight.com), and “cruised” on various ferries. Cruised around Manhattan and taken harbor cruises in Hamburg, Germany. Oh yes, took a high-speed catamaran to Heligoland in the North Sea. That we did not enjoy at all, sitting in our narrow seats like in a 747, no deck space, no fresh air. We also took a freighter from Klaipeda, Lithuania to Kiel, Germany.

While I generally don't enjoy small boats - I do enjoy small boats when they involve an excursion at a nice tropical location. Some of my all time favorite cruise excursions have been boat excursions on sailboats and catamarans in the Caribbean and Hawaii!

But I've never thought it was all that great being on a small boat on a local lake. Fine for passing the time (like an evening cruise on a pontoon boat) or something like that - but I don't do it much and don't have much of a desire.

We love cruising,however small craft are out of the question since my wife

gets seasick on any smaller boat. If we must tender into a port that can get interesting. he positive side of that is there is no pressure to purchase a

personal watercraft.

My husband has owned boats for many years ranging from 21' to 34', in fact he grew up around them. When he wants to go on an excursion I will drive to meet him at his destination if it is interesting enough. I have had many fun catamaran and other excursions in the Caribbean but that is where it ends. I guess you can see how I really feel in my signature below:cool: .

My husband has been into boats, fishing and diving most of his life. When he proposed he asked if we could get married on a yacht. We did and it was the start of many cruises as a married couple - including our honeymoon on the now defunct Cunard Countess. Right now he is in Mexico on a fishing trip with some buddies!

My fiance and I wait out our time between cruises on our 19' power boat. The only thing that it has over a cruise ship is that we get to take our 2 dogs with us. Although I really love our boat now, I hope to get a sailboat someday. We absolutely LOVE boats, ships, anything that goes in the water. Water is actually a theme in our lives. We cruise for every vacation, live on a lake, and spend our weekends on our boat (dreaming of being on a ship). Whenever we travel to or from a cruise, we have to stay in a hotel near a marina and also dine there so that we can watch the boats go in and out.

DH has worked in the marine trades his entire life so that has led us to owning several small vessels, from a canoe as newlyweds in the 70s to larger powerboats. Our largest was a Chriscraft 35 ft wooden hull called the Great Gatsby. I think he currently sees the value of boat rental rather than ownership.

We look forward to renting pontoon boat perhaps near our FL home. While at the Jersey Shore he has made no such request this summer. But I do miss sunsets on the Barnegat Bay.

Our first cruise ship is still more than a yr away- the repo Connie Oct 08.

Archived