Jewelry Store in Venice?

Would like to get a pair of Murano glass cufflinks as a souvenir. Nothing outrageous - silver posts. I've heard the street market near the Rialto Bridge is good. Any other suggestions?

Good? Well the Rialto Bridge and surrounding stores are certainly a lot of fun. But keep in mind that Venice is a tourist town in every sense of the word and products are truly priced for tourists. As to Murano Glass, just be careful that it really is Murano Glass. Even in Venice there is an awful lot of eastern European Glass that is sold as Murano Glass to unsuspecting tourists.

Hank

There is a fantastic store in Venice that sells only Murano glass,and they guarantee it..it is a small shop with a wonderful window display that really catches one's eye(when I was there it was a mound of tini glass ants).I am really sorry to say I do not have the name of the store anymore as I gave the card to someone and never wrote the name down and never got the card back.It was not to far from SM,but I know that is not of any help. The Tourist office would be able to help you though.I had no problem finding real Murano glass,and bought some NOT Murano glass from a vendor in SM,but that was easy to spot.There are some really nice shops just off SM.If it is really cheap,and the vendor has a cart I dare say it is not Murano glass.

There's a great little shop (more like a hut or a tiny little house) the lady makes all of her own jewellry from authentic Murano Glass. If you stand in St. Marks, facing the Bascillica, the so think of St. Marks as a large rectangle and your standing in the far right of it, turn completely around, and head to the back of the rectangle...walk through the opening and pass the Gucci Store, keep going on that path and you'll see the little store. I bought a lot of stuff there as gifts and they've held up wonderfully.

Tips on buying glass? Hmmm. I would be the last to give a tip since even diamonds look like glass to me (smile). I used to think that one would be safe to buy on the island of Murano, but a friend told me he spotted conterfeit Murano glass even on Murano. I used to advise cruisers to ask the on-board port lecturers for advice, but that was before the cruise lines started using contract lecturers who profit by recommending specific shops (who pay a promotional fee or who are owned by the lecturers employer). It never hurts to ask the Cruise Directors (if you can catch them alone) who they recommend since most of the cruise directors have years of shopping experience throughout the world.

Hank

Would like to get a pair of Murano glass cufflinks as a souvenir. Nothing outrageous - silver posts. I've heard the street market near the Rialto Bridge is good. Any other suggestions?

If you want real Murano glass then take a short trip to Murano and visit one of the factory stores.

I would avoid shopping at the stores on/around Ponte Rialto. They are expensive. Walk around (you won't/can't get lost in Venice!) and you'll see tons of jewelry shops.

Ciao!

Tips on buying glass? I used to think that one would be safe to buy on the island of Murano, but a friend told me he spotted conterfeit Murano glass even on Murano.

Hank

There was a little shop on Murano( 2 yrs. ago) that sold necklaces and earrings and one time they were putting out their wares and lo and behold some of them had stickers on them Made in China"...they were removing them of course,but not before I saw them.I got a good checkle out it and even bought a necklace for 2 euro as marked.Got a steal.Sorry ...could not stop myself for that one.

BTW,if someone really wants to know the name of a shop that sells Murano glass for sure.. the Tourist Office is a big help.

You should also check on the ship. They carry authentic Murano Glass pieces. I bought a few things from one line of jewellry, saw the identical one's in Venice for about 40 Euro more.

I don't know if any of them still exist, but 20-some years ago there were little glass stores on the side streets of Murano where you could watch things being made and buy that actual object. They were little storefronts with a glass artisan and a sales counter, usually run by a wife or daughter (I suppose...the possibilities are actually endless). Perhaps someone who's been there more recently can comment. In any event, I suggest avoiding the "free" boat trip/tour to the large factories on Murano unless you're the sort of person who enjoys time-share sales pitches.

Archived