passport question/vent...

tsj04

My fiancee applied in March and we still haven't received it. We leave for our cruise in 20 days....

SUCKS!!!!

I know we don't technically need it anymore with the new guidelines, but it is definitely frustrating.

I would definitely call your Congressman or Senator. You've been waiting 6 months :eek: and you're close enough to travel to get some help. IMHO, it's not a matter of you needing them technically but that you did apply with enough time to get them. I'm pretty sure they'll help you since you applied in March. It doesn't hurt to ask. We had to and after our Congressman called we had them in two days.

Here's the House website which will give you the numbers for your Congressman after you enter your ZIP code.

http://www.house.gov/

I already had my PP, but when my niece applied for hers in March07, she put Aug07 as the date of her trip....but, in Actuality, the date of her trip is Nov07.(she rec'd her PP last mnth....she did NOT do expitied.)

I said all of that to say....If January is the REAL Date of your trip, they may be holding off on yours & processing the people who need PP BEFORE January.(I don't know if this is how it's done, but it's just MY theory.)

I already had my PP, but when my niece applied for hers in March07, she put Aug07 as the date of her trip....but, in Actuality, the date of her trip is Nov07.(she rec'd her PP last mnth....she did NOT do expitied.)

I said all of that to say....If January is the REAL Date of your trip, they may be holding off on yours & processing the people who need PP BEFORE January.(I don't know if this is how it's done, but it's just MY theory.)

To be honest, there is no rhyme or reason why any of us get our Passports and some do not. There is one theory that if they come from New Orleans, they do arrive at a record speed. My DH and I applied for ours on June 22 and stated that we would not need them until December, we got them on Saturday, seven weeks later. I think it is very unfair the way these Passports are being expidited.

Did you wait to the last minute to apply? If so, too bad for you. I KNOW I applied in more than enough time which is why I AM happy that I have some time to work with. Also, me calling them and e-mailing them is NOT slowing down the process as the phone number you call is NOT where my application is being processed so before you choose to write a sarcastic response at least know what you are talking about.:rolleyes:
No I did not wait til the last minute. Mine has been 12 weeks on a renewal. I plan ahead. 5 months gives them more than enough time.

To someone else that said I was "Snarky?" It was a joke...But checking for Jan...08 is a tad early...They even tell you not to contact them until you are 2....that's 2 weeks from traveling...;)

DH, DD, and I applied June 21 and were told that it would take at least 12 weeks, probably longer. We got ours in the mail 8/10/07. So about 7 weeks. DH checked, and ours were processed in New Orleans and we live in Wisconsin! I wish there could be a better system for processing the passport applications! Oh, and we put our actual date of travel on the application which is January 2008. Good luck to those playing the waiting game!

Even though I just applied on 6/30 (for a trip in November) I figured I'd call to find out where it was being processed so I had a better idea of how long it might take. I spoke to a really friendly and pleasant woman (I was expecting someone that was super evil) who informed me that mine was coming out of the Charleston, SC office. She asked when I was taking a trip so I told her November and she told me that I'd have it in plenty of time as she could see in the computer that someone was working on it at 10:30 last night and only had a little more to go.

My DH applied for his passport on 7/02/07 and today we received a email message that it had been mailed and to expect it by 8/20/07. That will be 7 weeks if we get it next week. My DH's brother sent in a renewal for his passport the same day and it only took 3 weeks for him to get his passports.

**UPDATE**

As promised I'm writing to update you about my passport from my previous post. I looked online today and saw that my passport has been processed and mailed. It says that I should receive it by 8/21/07. I originally applied 4/16/07 and it was sent to the NH office. I also received an e-mail informing me that it was processed and mailed but not until this evening. I see some people say the website doesn't always update but in my case the website updated my info and I received an e-mail as well. Although I'm not cruising until January I am SO excited because this will be my first cruise. I will have to be sure to come back and give a review. Thanks for all of the responses (good and bad) ;)

**UPDATE**

As promised I'm writing to update you about my passport from my previous post. I looked online today and saw that my passport has been processed and mailed. It says that I should receive it by 8/21/07. I originally applied 4/16/07 and it was sent to the NH office. I also received an e-mail informing me that it was processed and mailed but not until this evening. I see some people say the website doesn't always update but in my case the website updated my info and I received an e-mail as well. Although I'm not cruising until January I am SO excited because this will be my first cruise. I will have to be sure to come back and give a review. Thanks for all of the responses (good and bad) ;)

I am happy for you, one less thing you have to worry about now.

Have a wonderful cruise.

**UPDATE**

Out of curiosity how do you check the status of a passport online? I see where you can request email updates, but don't see where you check status online?

I read where it seems everyone is having trouble getting passports from Nh 17 weeks and longer. I applied for my Mother in Law July 25th 2007 recieved it yesterday 17 Aug for a turn arouund time of 23 days I am not complaining and it was done in NH.

I applied on April 16th (not expedited) for a Carribean cruise, January 2008 and have not received mine yet. I called today and the lady asked me if I was "kidding" because I called and my trip is not until January. I told her I was NOT kidding as I paid $100.00 and applied almost four months ago. It just says "processing" and when I call on the phone the reps tell me the same thing I see online??!! p.s. Mine is with the New Hampshire office.

I applied on April 2nd to renew my passport. I sail on 8/26/07. I got mine after 16 weeks. I was getting nervous, but I got them in time. The same is probably true for you.

Hubby's passport came today. He applied on 4/13. His passport & birth certificate were returned in the same envelope. His was processed in NH.

I applied on 4/6. Mine came on 6/28 from New Orleans with the passport in one envelope, and the birth certificate in a separate envelope.

Apparently they don't do the procedure the exact same way in all the processing centers.

Thanks for responding. It's just really frustrating. I'm just glad that I applied when I did. I'll be sure to post when I get it!;)

Hey TS- Not that this may apply in your case because you sail in January, but one of our Senators (Norm Coleman for what it is worth) received so many calls from pissed off constituents that he personally went and railed on the person who oversees that circus. Apparently, a lot of MN's got their passports a lot quicker after that.

Maybe call your Senator, just for fun and to add a little more fuel to the fire?

I called my senator here in Florida, as I had to have the passport before a plane ticket could be purchased in my name for a mission trip leaving in September, and got my passport the NEXT day (overnighted no less!!) from NH. It pays to call, they were very nice, and solved my problem quickly!

**Final Update** I received my passport in the mail yesterday :D Along with it in the same envelope was my old passport (from when I was a child). I'm officially ready for my first cruise now :D

Archived