passport question/vent...

tsj04

I applied on April 16th (not expedited) for a Carribean cruise, January 2008 and have not received mine yet. I called today and the lady asked me if I was "kidding" because I called and my trip is not until January. I told her I was NOT kidding as I paid $100.00 and applied almost four months ago. It just says "processing" and when I call on the phone the reps tell me the same thing I see online??!! p.s. Mine is with the New Hampshire office.

From what I hear in the media, this is not that unusual. Sounds like it's been four months since you submitted everything and if the State Dept people are saying it's "in process", I would just advise patience. It's not easy I know, but the glut of applications has totally overwhelmed them and I really think there's nothing to be concerned about if your trip is not until January 2008. Hang in there! ;)

It took 17 weeks and 2 days for my passport to arrive. My friends applied a week or so after me...it took them over 17 weeks to get their's......if your not sailing until January..don't stress over it. You have plenty of time to get your's. You should get your passport very soon...

I applied for mine the friday after Thanksgiving and received it the 3rd week in January. Thought it would be that easy for my daughter, we applied for hers July 3rd and we put down our travel date as Nov 30th. (Its really Feb 1st 2008) the lady told us we would be lucky as we were cutting it real close for the Nov date, and hopefully we would have it by then. I was shocked.

Good luck getting yours.

Thanks for responding. It's just really frustrating. I'm just glad that I applied when I did. I'll be sure to post when I get it!;)

You're very welcome......I know how you feel..it's very very frustrating...one of my friends that applied shortly after mine has still not got their's but did get a email from the passport office today and said it was processed and in the mail...YEAH!!

My sister and I applied on May 21st and put our travel date on application as Nov(which it is). We received ours Aug. 2. Ours came out of Charleston. SC. We were really surprised we received them so quick. We really weren't expecting them until the end of Aug., first of Sept. Hope you receive yours soon!

It took mine a little over 17 weeks. One of my complaints is the web site have never changed from 10 to 12 weeks when I don't know of anyone who has received theirs from the NH processing center before 16 weeks. I know that some have received theirs in 6 weeks or so but it looks like from reading these boards that in most cases it is a lot more then the 12 weeks. They should change the time from 10 to 12 weeks to you'll get it when you get it :D

I am sorry you are having such a time with this passport mess. It seems that if they go to New Orleans, you get them back very fast. We applied on June 22, and got them yesterday, seven weeks. That seems so unfair since we do not even need them until December when we are going to Texas for the winter and hope to take a trip to Mexico. But then we do need them when we go to Europe next year, but still so unfair to all of the rest of you.

We applied on April 12, I called my state senator's office on Thursday, Aug. 9, I rec'd them on Sat., Aug. 11, they had been issued on Aug. 10... from NH. Sent overnight, Sat. delivery. Totally absurd to take that long, and why NH when I'm in TN???? Who knows what they're doing :confused:

After 16.5 weeks (applied April 9) I had to get my Congressman to intervene so we could get ours to go to Spain (surprise trip, just got back last night). Ours were being processed in NH as well. Who knows why the NH center has such a huge backlog? :confused:

I know how stressful it is. If we had been just using ours for our December cruise, I'm not sure if ours would be here yet either. If I didn't have them by 20 weeks, I would be calling my Senator or Congressman. There's no excuse for a 20 week wait when others who apply later and who aren't expiditing are getting theirs back in a shorter time frame. They might not help yet with a January trip, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Good luck! :)

We applied on April 12, I called my state senator's office on Thursday, Aug. 9, I rec'd them on Sat., Aug. 11, they had been issued on Aug. 10... from NH. Sent overnight, Sat. delivery. Totally absurd to take that long, and why NH when I'm in TN???? Who knows what they're doing :confused:

It seems like NH is the processessing center with the issues. My parents applied and got theirs in about 10 weeks. I thought it had to do with where you were born but apparently not. DH born in CA, me in OH, DD1 in OH, DD2 in AR and both parents in KY. All of us lived in OH at time of application except DD1 who moved to KY after graduation. All of ours were processed in New Orleans. It almost sounds like its just the luck of the draw as to where they go for processing.

I've posted mine several times now too... my passport app was received in NH on May 15th (or 12th... I can't remember now). The lady told me to call back in a few weeks (as we leave September 8th for our cruise) and get them to expedite it. I thought I applied in plenty of time. My friend applied a week before me, standard service, and received hers over a month ago.... obviously hers didn't come from NH... I didn't ask her where it came from.

I wish mine would have been sent to New Orleans. Why don't they start advising the post offices/courthouses to send somewhere besides backlogged NH? It's so frustrating. If I get it after my cruise, I won't need it (at least not for a while... can't afford something else too quick...) so I'm not real happy, but I'm trying to think positive.

I lost my marriage license in the shuffle of moving six months ago... so now I have to go get a copy of my BC and my marriage license, whereas before I could have just had a passport....

Too bad that the Travel Office of the Gov. doesn't read these boards like Carnival does.... (they don't care anyways... they have no competition...)

I applied on 4/6 & mine arrived 6/28 from New Orleans.

Hubby applied the next week on 4/13, and still doesn't have his. His will be coming from the New Hampshire office. So I think there's some truth to the rumors that the New Hampshire center is slooooooooow.

I have called my congressman's office. The assistant who answered the phone seemed to be a little disinterested. They said, "with the new rules, you don't have anything to worry about". That's not the point. The passport is paid for, and we want it.

I applied on April 16th (not expedited) for a Carribean cruise, January 2008 and have not received mine yet. I called today and the lady asked me if I was "kidding" because I called and my trip is not until January. I told her I was NOT kidding as I paid $100.00 and applied almost four months ago. It just says "processing" and when I call on the phone the reps tell me the same thing I see online??!! p.s. Mine is with the New Hampshire office.

Just out of couriosity, why did you go through N.H. if you live in Va?

You apply through the state you LIVE in, not the state you were born in. If I would have had to do that, I would have had to get mine from 3 different states.

If someone told you that you get them through you birth state, they are badily misinformed. You get them through the state you live in. No if's ands or buts about it.

That may be why it is taking so long. NH is the hardest state to get PPT's through.

I lost my marriage license in the shuffle of moving six months ago... so now I have to go get a copy of my BC and my marriage license, whereas before I could have just had a passport....

If you have proof of passport application, you don't need your birth certificate.

My question is where have you been for the last 4 months! Since the first of the year this has been a hot topic of conversation and it has taken people much longer than 4 months to get it. Some even got them very late when they paid to expedite them! So if you've been anywhere around, you'd know this isn't unusual at all and you're just in the same line of "processing" as alllllllll the other passport applicants.

I live in Tennessee and applied here at our county courthouse. Mine was processed in NH, don't ask me why :confused:

You apply through the state you LIVE in, not the state you were born in. If I would have had to do that, I would have had to get mine from 3 different states.

If someone told you that you get them through you birth state, they are badily misinformed. You get them through the state you live in. No if's ands or buts about it.

That may be why it is taking so long. NH is the hardest state to get PPT's through.

You can apply for a Passport anywhere in the US no matter where you live. It doesn't matter which state you live in or were born in, your passport will more than likely not be processed there. It also has no relevance to the time it takes to process. I live in Iowa, and like many other states, there is no Passport Processing Center. My application had to go somewhere! ;)

There are even people who have processing centers in their state that have had their applications shipped off. I don't know the rhyme or reason for the government's choices. If I did, I could probably make a few bucks explaining it! lol Once you put the application in their hands, you don't get to choose where it's processed.

I live in Tennessee and applied here at our county courthouse. Mine was processed in NH, don't ask me why :confused:

And I live in Iowa and mine went to New Orleans. Just the luck of the draw I guess, we got ours in seven weeks

And I live in Iowa and mine went to New Orleans. Just the luck of the draw I guess, we got ours in seven weeks

Ah, you were lucky! I'm in Iowa, mine went to NH and well...you know the rest. ;) I wonder what the logic is behind where they send the applications......

Ah, you were lucky! I'm in Iowa, mine went to NH and well...you know the rest. ;) I wonder what the logic is behind where they send the applications......

The luck of the draw I guess. Ours went out of Waterloo IA. And the sad thing is, we do not even need our until December when we go to Texas for the winter. We got them for a trip to Mexico but we of course will need them for Europe too. I just feel so bad for the cruises that are waiting for theirs and they need them a lot sooner than we do.

Archived