Question about Mini-Suite balcony on Gem (Jewel or Pearl)

Dexysgirl

Just looked at the fantastic photos of the GEM undocking . Noticed however that the mid-ship mini-suite balconies on Deck 11 seem to be overshadowed(for want of a better word) by deck 12. Towards the back of deck 11, the balconies are a lot more open.

Has anyone who has traveled on her sister ships found any trouble with shade on these mid-ship balconies? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

I have one of these mini-suites booked for next year.

Thanks.

We were in one of those (11040) a few weeks ago on the Jewel in the Mediterranean and thought the overhang was great. It did offer shade if you wanted it by keeping the chairs close to the cabin or you could pull them out if you wanted more sun.

We liked it so much in fact we booked the same room for the Baltic Cruise next year.

You will love it !

How much shade you will have depends upon which direction the ship is traveling, and from which direction the sun is located.

Suppose your cabin is on the port side of the ship, and it's heading east,

you'll have shade all day. But if the ship was heading west, you'll have sun all day.

If the ship was heading south, and your cabin is still on the port side, you'll have sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon. If the ship was heading north, you'll have shade in the morning and sun in the afternoon.

So, the heading of the ship and which side of the ship yout cabin is on has a greater affect on sun or shade than that little overhang you're worried about.

Thanks for mentioning this, Dexysgirl. We have 11034 booked for a Baltics cruise next summer, and I think for that itinerary we'll need all the sun we can get. I'm having trouble relating the deck plans to the exterior photos, with the hulled balconies, AB suites and minisuites mixed in. Does anyone know which of the starboard side forward minis are not under the overhang? Last year, on the Star, we had an overhang, and it showed up in a lot of our pictures. Looking at the deck plans, the Jewel overhang seems more pronounced.

How much shade you will have depends upon which direction the ship is traveling, and from which direction the sun is located.

Suppose your cabin is on the port side of the ship, and it's heading east,

you'll have shade all day. But if the ship was heading west, you'll have sun all day.

If the ship was heading south, and your cabin is still on the port side, you'll have sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon. If the ship was heading north, you'll have shade in the morning and sun in the afternoon.

So, the heading of the ship and which side of the ship yout cabin is on has a greater affect on sun or shade than that little overhang you're worried about.

Oh, my goodness. I bet none of us have ever thought of balcony shade in those terms. :rolleyes:

We have 11034 booked for a Baltics cruise next summer, and I think for that itinerary we'll need all the sun we can get. I'm having trouble relating the deck plans to the exterior photos, with the hulled balconies, AB suites and minisuites mixed in. Does anyone know which of the starboard side forward minis are not under the overhang?

On the Jewel, the overhang begins roughly at stateroom 11024 and on. Room 11034 is definitely under the overhang. Can't say how far back the overhang goes.

If I remember correctly, the overhang is approx. 1 1/2 to 2 feet. As previously mentioned, we thought it was great.

Thanks so much, taxmantoo. I'm sure it doesn't matter much, but I get obsessive sometimes.:o Most of the furthest forward minis seem to be sold out, but I did manage to switch to 11022. Now I'll be fine until I read a thread about how the port side aft would be best.:D

We were in one of those (11040) a few weeks ago on the Jewel in the Mediterranean and thought the overhang was great. It did offer shade if you wanted it by keeping the chairs close to the cabin or you could pull them out if you wanted more sun.

We liked it so much in fact we booked the same room for the Baltic Cruise next year.

You will love it !

Deck 11 is just under the pool area with all those deck chairs. Were you ever disturbed by the noise above, say when people drag the deck chairs around, or when they have loud music playing by the pool - I'm thinking of them belting out YMCA for example.

Archived