Security in European Ports

Avery

I have several question about security in European ports:

1. What should we take with us when we disembark at a given port, i.e. money, passport, ship id, etc.?

2. What "carrying case" is recommended to use while in port?

3. Do we take US$, Euros or travelers checks with us?

4. How do we avoid placing ourselves in a position of jeopardy such as pick pockets, etc.?

Avery, here are few answers to your questions.

1/ most cruise lines will keep your passport in the Pursers Office. It may be returned to you for certain ports but not generally. We take a photocopy of our passport and certainly your ship ID card. You may wish to carry another photo ID card like a drivers licence. 2/we use a knap sack to carry our papers, a few bottles of water, umbrellas, etc.

3/we take Euros in EU countries. USD are often accepted but it does vary

4/do not wear excessive jewellry, use a money belt. Stick to main routes. Pickpockets go after the low hanging fruit. Use a money belt.

Excellent questions.

My wife and I have cruised extensively and just completed a world cruise a few months ago. In general, the approach we take is much the same in most ports around the world.

I have several question about security in European ports:

1. What should we take with us when we disembark at a given port, i.e. money, passport, ship id, etc.?

As noted above most cruise lines hold your passport for europe cruises. Some don't. Some people say if you have the option take your passport. I say no because of risk of it being stolen or lost. Yes, without a passport if you miss your ship you will need to get a passport but if you miss your ship you may have greater problems.

We take a copy of ours with us. Why? Because should we miss the ship then the copy would help to faciliate getting a new passport. So, just take a copy.

I take some cash (how much depends on what port we are visiting), we each take our ship board id cards, and we take either one credit card or a credit card and one atm card.

I carry these items in a wallet that goes around my neck and under my shirt.

While on this subject, before you go call your credit card company and atm card company to let them know your dates of travel and where you are going so these don't think there is fraud on your card(s).

2. What "carrying case" is recommended to use while in port?

We now take a small back pack. Again, key items go in the wallet around my neck. We use the backpack to carry items such as water, camera, tissues and a few other little items. Also, if it looks like rain can carry an umbrella or two. If we make little purchases we can put that in the backpack. Get a waterproof backpack.

3. Do we take US$, Euros or travelers checks with us?

In Europe take Euros. Don't try to use travelers checks as some places charge fees and other places don't take them. In a few ports US dollars are taken. For example, if your cruise includes Turkey they will take US dollars rather than having to pay in Turkish Lira.

4. How do we avoid placing ourselves in a position of jeopardy such as pick pockets, etc.?

Good question. A couple of things. If you take the wallet I am talkng about that will help quite a bit. Also, leave any good jewelry on board the ship. I will wear a cheap watch and if my wife wears any jewelry it will be a very low cost set of earings. We leave everything in the safe.

The other thing is be street smart and observant. Sometimes if I feel that someone or two are following us I will ask my wife to move to the right and we will let them walk in front of us. By the way, I do this in various USA cities.

Some places in Europe have more crime than other ports just like in the USA. A couple of places to be real careful include Naples, Rome (although I feel it is better than it used to be) and Barcelona.

Again, we use the same approach everywhere we travel.

Keith

Archived