gtaylor ?

mimi'sgirl

Thank you for the info. re: St. Maarten's Day. I wanted to know if you or anyone else who reads this has an opinion on Galion Beach. Also I've read that Dawn Beach while beautiful can be rough and not ideal for preschool age kids. Travelling with 2 young kids and trying not to travel too far from port. Any suggestions?

First, see if this search link works: Linky

I don't know how Cruise Critic handles saved searches but the link works for me right now. It may expire before you get to it, but you can click the link upper right that says 'Search this Forum', then 'Advanced Search' then enter the keyword Galion and my userid, then click 'Show Results as Posts'.

Galion Beach has been voted Best Place to Take Kids by readers of the local Newspaper. It's adjacent to Orient, so I would think the taxi fare would be similar.

It looks great to me.

As I recall, my friend here, kal, has expressed some concerns about water quality because of the limited exchange of water in this sheltered area.

If it were me, and for a few hours once in a lifetime, and the water looked good (nothing suspicious, no smells) I'd go for it.

Dawn is a GREAT beach if the weather is cooperating. With winds coming in directly off the open Atlantic, it doesn't take much to kick up the waves, but we love the food at Ms B's, and they do have a play area for the kids.

gary

Again- Thank you for the info. The link did work. Can you also tell me approx. how long a cab ride from Phillipsburg to Galion or Orient Beach would be? If it's long I would also consider going to Friar's (I think I read 45 min. ride) but hoping not to travel that long.

The ride to Galion or Orient is probably on the order of 20 minutes? It's less than 5 miles as the crow flies, and surely less than 7 street miles. Dawn is much closer.

Friar's is probably closer than Galion/Orient by crow, but much more 'remote' by taxi, probably as far from the Cruise Facility as any beach on the island. 45 minutes sounds about right.

If you're now open to alternate beaches, you might as well consider Mullet Bay Beach. Again, depending on the weather, it might be just what you're looking for.

Personally, I would probably get a taxi to take my over to Dawn, with the option to continue on to Galion if Dawn is too rough. The driver might know in advance how the waves are at Dawn on your day, and suggest heading straight to Galion, but I think Dawn is worth a visit for the view, even if not the water.

gary

Hope you checked out my photos of Dawn from the other post.

Archived