The Alaska Cruise Companion & Map Set

I received word on 5/3 from author Joe Upton saying..."the all color edition of the Alaska Cruise Companion just came out - it is gorgeous. Call 1-800 Princess and ask for a copy to have the book sent to your address". I called Princess (again) yesterday to inquire if the new 2004 Alaska Cruise Companion & Map Set was yet available. Was told it may not be available until sometime in June.

If anyone gets info on the availability of the new book - please share the info with a post to all Alaska Cruisers. Hopefully Princess will have available for purchase on ships soon. In the meantime I will continue to check. Thanks - SeaFish

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by seafish:

the all color edition<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that mean previous versions were not in color? I'm searching bookstores for previous versions. If they're not in color, I might as well wait and get the new one icon_smile.gif

mpk - don't know about previous versions but, in talking with Joe Upton he specifically mentioned that the new versions were "all color editions". In fact - on 5/3 he said..."I got the first copy from the printer in Korea and it is gorgeous - you won't be disappointed". Really would like to get a copy prior to the cruise but, if time runs out I certainly hope the book & map is available on 7/3 Coral Princess. SeaFish

I recieved my book last week and went through Paracay.com . My DH also ordered one on the same day from Joe Upton himself via phone. (found company through a search engine). So we have two! Oh well, I am sure we can sell one on the trip. Joe even sent us one with a bill and trusted us enough to pay it. The book is not the new colored one.

Janice countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800 till Infinity

sboh - try going to www.alaskacruise.com. In addition to information on The Alaska Cruise Companion (for Gulf of Alaska Cruise Route Passengers) there's a book entitled The Coastal Companion (a guide for the Alaska-Bound traveler) that might be what you want. SeaFish

I just borrowed the 2001 edition from a neighbor. There are several colored pictures, but most are black & white, and all maps are black and white.

2 Drifters off to see the world....there's such a lot of world to see!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by seafish:

I received word on 5/3 from author Joe Upton saying..."the all color edition of the Alaska Cruise Companion just came out - it is gorgeous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't expect the author to say any less.

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

Monte: the author defintely has the right to "toot his own horn" (sorry could not come up w/ something more original) but even if the pics are NOT in color (my edition has 8-10 color, lost of B&W) the book itself is marvelous. You can literally stand on deck if you wanted to with the book and have almost a mile by mile description. Even if you're not 'big' into travel books this one adds so much to an Alaskan cruise.

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font> icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

Let's just say his description is a bit self serving (unless he described his previous editions in less glowing terms).

Oh, BTW-I work in a bookstore (since 1977) and spend a lot of time in the travel area.

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

monte - I totally agree with Host Caroline. I understood the purpose of this message board is to seek & provide meaningful help and assist other cruisers. My purpose in posting was just that - what was yours? SeaFish

I saw a few of the books on my last 9/03 cruise. The major problem was people had no clue WHERE they were to follow along. I got asked all the time- I usually didn't know either. icon_smile.gif There aren't "mile markers" along the shore- although that would be a great idea wouldn't it?? icon_smile.gif

I'm not saying the book is bad-but I sure value independent opinions above ANY authors.

Had you said that you saw the book and think it's great, fine. When the author says I wrote it and it's great-not so fine.

-Monte

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Budget Queen:

I saw a few of the books on my last 9/03 cruise. The major problem was people had no clue WHERE they were to follow along. I got asked all the time- I usually didn't know either. icon_smile.gif There aren't "mile markers" along the shore- although that would be a great idea wouldn't it?? icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

on the ships we were on, we checked the ship's tv channel which showed us where we were. It wasn't "up to the minute", but it was close enough that we could get our bearings using the map. Also, there were many landmarks listed in the book which helped us identify exactly where we were. On the other hand, we started following along from when we first sailed away so that also helped.

Thanks for the info on the Companion & Map use -good ideas. I'm planning using my DeLorme Earthmate GPS system with my laptop to keep track of position, area information, etc, for the Alaska trip. I used it this February in Hawaii and it worked well. Hopefully it will do what we want for Alaska. SeaFish

Archived