walking from Caribe Hilton San Juan to cruise port

westcoastsailor

We will be taking a princess cruise in Jan and will be staying at the Hilton. Is is safe to walk from there to the cruise terminal - how far is it? Has anyone stayed at this Hilton? Is it a good choice or would you have other recommendations within walking distance? Thanks.

No, you really can't walk to the pier from the CH. Look at this great map/aerial shot that shows the location of the hotel & the piers http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp . I have walked from the CH to OSJ (without luggage) and it takes a good 45 mins, much of it uphill and the sidewalks are not smooth (paving stones, not concrete). There is no pedestrian access to the Pan Am pier; you'd have to cross major roads and there are no sidewalks much of the way.

Are you embarking in Old San Juan or PanAm pier? If Old San Juan, the Sheraton is right across the street from the pier, and there are a couple other options in OSJ - El Convento, Milano, HoJo. Do a search on this forum and you'll get lots of recommendations.

If you are sailing with Princess chances are that you will be embarking from Pan American Pier. There are not any hotels that are a walkable distance from that pier.

Joanne

westcoastsailor, Princess uses Pier 4 which is right across the street from the Sheraton. Its way too far to walk from the Caribe Hilton, I think it took us about 15-20 minutes or more by taxi.

Pan Am Pier is used by RCCL/Celebrity.

westcoastsailor, Princess uses Pier 4 which is right across the street from the Sheraton. Its way too far to walk from the Caribe Hilton, I think it took us about 15-20 minutes or more by taxi.

It's just a couple of minutes away by taxi (not 15 min), but you're right. It is not a practical walk by any means.

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton before our cruise on Serenade of the Seas, and I jogged a couple of times and got pretty close to the pier, it would have been a real bother getting as far as I did jogging while rolling our luggage along with us, AND there was no way to got the few hundred extra feet -- the pier area isn't pedestrian friendly in the slightest.

It's just a couple of minutes away by taxi (not 15 min), but you're right. It is not a practical walk by any means.

Sure seemed like 15, maybe it was because we were thirsty and tired and couldn't wait for a drink:D :D

westcoastsailor, Princess uses Pier 4 which is right across the street from the Sheraton.

We embarked at the Pan American Pier for the Regal Princess last year so I wouldn't count on it being Pier 4 - maybe, maybe not.

Does RCI always use PAP? We are disembarking from a repo cruise on the Empress of the Seas and would like to make plans so if anyone knows for sure please let me know.

you can walk taking the north side all the way from the hotel passing by the Capitol building into the main historic district and then south...it is a long walk in the hot sun. rather take the bus at Condado in front of Condado Plaza hotel, 75 cents.

I sailed this past year on the Crown Princess, and we left from the PanAmerican Pier, not the pier in OSJ.

Joanne

I sailed this past year on the Crown Princess, and we left from the PanAmerican Pier, not the pier in OSJ.

Joanne

All I know is that our confirmation reads "Pier 4E" and Princess says we sail from Pier 4 in OSJ. We shall see!!!!

When the Crown starts departing from SJ, I'll go over and check which pier she's using. The Golden used to leave from the Pan Am, and as I recall last season the Crown used it too, but things could have changed.

Archived