Foriegn Birth Certificate and Passport?

SereneOne

My husband was born in West Berlin, Germany. His father was in the Army, met and married his mom and along came little Jerry Lee..yes, named after Great Balls of Fire, Jerry Lee...lol. They moved to the states when he was about three. He served in the Navy several years ago and currently has a SC driver's license. I kept looking on the passport site for info if he needed anything other than his driver's license and german birth certificate...he has the original from his mother. Does anyone know if there is anything extra we need to do to get him a passport?

Thank you, you all are so helpful and it is appreciated.:)

You did not read far enough down the requirements page on the passport website. He cannot use a German BC to prove his US citizenship; only US birth certificates can be used for that. He needs the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (or Certification of Birth). His citizenship is conferred by being the child of a US citizen, not by his birth location.

If he does not have the Consular Report issued by the US government, he can research to see if one was issued and get a copy. Only one copy can be issued EVER, so he needs to be very careful with this document once he has it. It is his proof of US citizenship.

If no document was issued, then he has much longer process ahead of him. He will need affadavits of family, translation of the German BC, copies of his parents BC (assuming they were also citizens by birth) and any other proof that he is the son of US citizens.

Here is the page you want, be sure to read ALL of section 2. and click through on the applicable links to get more information:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

Don't feel bad, most people don't know that one, and go :eek: when they hear it.

But on a serious note, do start tracking down your husbands FR 240; (that's the form number) the Consular Report of Birth Abroad. If he was born in the last 35-40 years, it should be on record. Maybe his mother has it in with all her papers?

Don't feel bad, most people don't know that one, and go :eek: when they hear it.

But on a serious note, do start tracking down your husbands FR 240; (that's the form number) the Consular Report of Birth Abroad. If he was born in the last 35-40 years, it should be on record. Maybe his mother has it in with all her papers?

Okay, my husband just called and said that his boss who travels a lot, is retired military and has a philapino wife told him that because he was born in a Military Base Hospital, which his birth certificate states, he is an American. I told him to call and make absolutely sure.

Well, your husband is a US citizen, but not for the reason his boss stated. He is a citizen because his father was a citizen. Also he met the residency requirement before age 20.

(You did not mention his mother, and from your post it sounds like she could have been a German citizen at the time...) Being born in a US military overseas hospital does NOT confer citizenship. Your husband is supposed to have been issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and most military hospitals are pretty good about following the rules and reporting the births to the local consulate. His parents probably have it tucked away with their papers somewhere. If they did not know what it was, and tossed it, then your husband needs to get an official copy. It will be the only one he can ever get, so store it in a safe deposit box after you get DH a passport.

Well, your husband is a US citizen, but not for the reason his boss stated. He is a citizen because his father was a citizen. Also he met the residency requirement before age 20.

(You did not mention his mother, and from your post it sounds like she could have been a German citizen at the time...) Being born in a US military overseas hospital does NOT confer citizenship. Your husband is supposed to have been issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and most military hospitals are pretty good about following the rules and reporting the births to the local consulate. His parents probably have it tucked away with their papers somewhere. If they did not know what it was, and tossed it, then your husband needs to get an official copy. It will be the only one he can ever get, so store it in a safe deposit box after you get DH a passport.

Again, Thank you, Thank you! He was told if you did not join the military you would have the choice of being an American citizen or German....the recruiter when he was 18 told him this. His mother was German...she was naturalized in the early 80's. He is going to call her this week.

He was told if you did not join the military you would have the choice of being an American citizen or German....
This part is correct. He could hold dual citizenship as long as he did not formally swear to renounce one or the other. When he joined the Navy, he swore to renounce all foreign allegiances, which meant he renounced his right to German citizenship. Some countries allow dual citizenship, but the US says you have to pick one or the other. (Lots of people still manage to hold dual citizenship by simply failing to tell the US they happen to have a foreign passport)

He called and he was told he needed a form to interpet his birth certificate and have it notarized. Officail said at the time DH was born, they did not require the Consulate paperwork...1966? So his birth certificate, with a notarized interpetation form, driver's license and two pictures and I think we are good to go!

Ah rats...the FS 240 would have been easier. OTOH, they seem to be more lenient on the requirements for folks born before 1970. You probably should include a certified copy of his Father's BC; that is usually required in cases like this. IF that is hard/costly/slow to obtain go ahead and try with what they gave you as a list. But follow the progress closely online. And don't be surprised if they come back and ask for Dad's BC anyway. (If your hubby knows where and when Dad was born, he can ask for a certified copy; as the son he has a right to Dad's BC. Most states allow one to do this online.) Good luck, and start on this now....you WILL be done by the time the cruise gets here!

I am on the phone with him now...he works out of state. The official told him to send in what he has and if they need anything else they will mail him. But he is calling his mom tonight, dad is deceased and he is going to go online and get his dad's birth certificate, just in case.:)

LOL--Good thinking on his part. It's possible that they won't come back and ask for Dad's BC, but if your husband can get it, then its a slam dunk set of paperwork and no back and forth involved. Here is the official list of requirements:

If you were born abroad AND do not have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Birth on file, you will need:

If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to one U.S. citizen parent:

Foreign birth certificate, translated

Proof of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent, AND

An affidavit of your U.S. citizen parent showing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

The affadavit is not always required, particularly in the case of military service/overseas military hospital births, and since Dad is deceased, he can't prepare one. But school records work. Mostly your hubby just has to prove that he resided in the US for three years before age 20.

One more thing, the translation of the German birth certificate can be tricky sometimes. It cannot be done by just anyone, the person must be an official translator, or have certification and passed a set of qualifications to prove that they are able to accurately translate a document. Make sure you have that.

LOL--Good thinking on his part. It's possible that they won't come back and ask for Dad's BC, but if your husband can get it, then its a slam dunk set of paperwork and no back and forth involved. Here is the official list of requirements:

If you were born abroad AND do not have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Birth on file, you will need:

If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to one U.S. citizen parent:

Foreign birth certificate, translated

Proof of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent, AND

An affidavit of your U.S. citizen parent showing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

The affadavit is not always required, particularly in the case of military service/overseas military hospital births, and since Dad is deceased, he can't prepare one. But school records work. Mostly your hubby just has to prove that he resided in the US for three years before age 20.

One more thing, the translation of the German birth certificate can be tricky sometimes. It cannot be done by just anyone, the person must be an official translator, or have certification and passed a set of qualifications to prove that they are able to accurately translate a document. Make sure you have that.

Well I am glad you mentioned that! I lived in Germany for several years and used to be able to speak it pretty well until moving back to the states in the mid seventies and having no one to speak it to, I lost it. But in a jam I can carry a basic convo and I do know what his birth certificate says. How the hell are we suppose to find an official translator? I think I will just go without him...*sigh*

Here is the website language regarding translation:

Translations:

Any document containing foreign language submitted must be accompanied by the full English translation, which the translator has certified as complete and accurate, and the translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. The translation must be done by a third party (non-family member).

Certification of Translation

I, ________________________, certify that I am familiar with the English and ___________________________languages, and certify that the above is a correct and accurate translation of the following documents attached hereto.

Date :______________________ ______________________________

You can find online services that do this under "translation services" and/or look in the phone book under "Translators"

Here is the website language regarding translation:

Translations:

Any document containing foreign language submitted must be accompanied by the full English translation, which the translator has certified as complete and accurate, and the translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. The translation must be done by a third party (non-family member).

Certification of Translation

I, ________________________, certify that I am familiar with the English and ___________________________languages, and certify that the above is a correct and accurate translation of the following documents attached hereto.

Date :______________________ ______________________________

You can find online services that do this under "translation services" and/or look in the phone book under "Translators"

Wow!:o Where is the "I am not worthy" emoticon when you need it? I would never think there would be translators unless you where in a big city...but then Greenville does have the BMW plants and being able to speak German is a prerequisite for several jobs with them, so their should be someone. And the internet...I just started IMing on it several months ago and bought my own computer this January, before that rarely used it, so I forget what a font of knowledge it is. Thank you again.

Thank you, Cruise.

We actually have people at our church that are German and a notary at our church.:)

Now I am wondering when we order his father's birth certificate from Montana, if we need his death certificate from Mississippi? :rolleyes:

You should not need the Death Certificate for the passport application. If they come back and say they need affadavits from Dad, well, then you will probably need it, but I am pretty sure you will be OK with just Dad's BC and translated German BC.

We where considering going ahead and including it and also a copy of his school transcript of him attending Warren Central High in Vicksburg, MS. We have a copy because he started back to college and the university wanted transcripts from his high school and college.

Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt to include it if you already have all that.

Also, when he first came to the US, did he have any paperwork? Usually kids that young were included on a parent's passport. If he has anything showing how he was admitted to the US as a citizen at 3, that would be helpful.

If he had his own US passport--you are in a completely different category. His would technically be a renewal, no need to translate the German BC, just send in the expired passport, two pictures and the full (as if it was the first time) application form (DS-11). Go to a passport acceptance facility, pay fee, get new passport. Really, much simpler!!!!!

Archived