Hotel Suggestions for Galveston

here we come

I really liked Quality Inn and Suites, go to choicehotels.com and you get a good price. Clean, all oceanview, free breakfast and free cruise parking. Heated indoor pool with jacuzzi also. Staying again there without looking elsewhere this October.

Hi Koolbeans - Question about Quality Inn. I've got the choice points also and would like to stay there. How far is it to the pier? Do they require 2 night stay to park? Is there parking free for the week? Do they provide shuttle/ cost? If you have to take a taxi, how much?

We cruise in December, but I'm a planner>

Pamela

Homeschool and all- Hi there! There is free breakfast (descent), free cruise parking all week, heated pool inside with jacuzzi, and all oceanview rooms with balconies. Go to choicehotels.com and I have never paid over 100.00. I did stay @ Bestwestern which is right next door and is tolerable if nothing else available, but overall you can't even compare the two. The do NOT provide shuttle, taxi is approx 15.00 one way. The beds were awesomely comfy also. They do not require a 2 night stay. December is not far off really, I would get booked if I were you...I am a planner also.

Without thinking about it twice, Quality Inn is my 1st choice to stay for the price. I would love to stay in the really expensive places once to see what all the hoopla is about, but I just won't cough up 150-300.00 for one night stay.

Ask away if you have any other questions..

• 2 weeks later...
Homeschool and all- Hi there! There is free breakfast (descent), free cruise parking all week, heated pool inside with jacuzzi, and all oceanview rooms with balconies. Go ......They do NOT provide shuttle, taxi is approx 15.00 one way.

We did pre-cusie stays at the Hilton and then at the Quality Inn (3 months apart). We chose both for the free parking. When we found out the cab fare price (15 plus tip, each way) we decided to just pay for parking at the lighthouse for $45.

We thought this was the best option, we still had a great hotel on the beach at a great price, were able to keep our bags in the car overnight, got to the port nice and early (the hotel shuttle at the Hilton did not start until 12, you had to follow the shuttle to park your car, stop at two other places, fight for the shuttle back at the end of the cruise).

At lest for the Conquest, arrival at 10:30 is a Dr. Jykel, arrival at 12:45 is Mr Hyde. Same with the disembark - get off early or last - the middle is a zoo.

It might be a little difficult to find a hotel in Galveston on the first weekend of Spring Break. If all else fails, you can stay in the Clear Lake area...that's probably not even 30 minutes from the cruiseport in Galveston. There's the Tremont House on Ship's Mechanic Row which is 2 blocks from the cruiseport. It's usually around $100+ a night but is very nice. Plus, you're within walking distance of everything down on the Strand which includes lots of restaurants and shops. All the hotels will be more expensive that weekend due to the beginning of Spring Break and all the turistas that will be in town.

I really liked Quality Inn and Suites, go to choicehotels.com and you get a good price. Clean, all oceanview, free breakfast and free cruise parking. Heated indoor pool with jacuzzi also. Staying again there without looking elsewhere this October.

Thanks for the tip, Koolbeans. icon14.gif Just booked there for our Ecstasy voyage in less than two weeks. The price was great and so's the location.

Harbor House is next door to the pier and has free parking. I drop everyone off with the luggage and go back, park, and walk about 3-5 minutes to the cruise terminal. They have rooms with 2 queen beds and a sofa, small frig, microwave and have free continental breakfast. Plus, you can see your ship from your room if you are on the pier side. It is on the Strand and within walking distance of everything, as is the Tremont.

Aer there any hotels in Galveston that do provide FREE Shuttle anymore? By the time I pay approx. $15.00 taxi each way I might as well pay the $45.00 for the Lighthouse Parking.

......And I know the Hilton was included when we stayed there last October (for $109) - but it was still kind of a pain in the butt. First shuttle was not until noon, you had to follow it to an offsite parking lot, stop at two other hotels, fight for it on the way back.

Get the best rate you can find on the beach and a free breakfast and you're way better off paying for the parking.

(IMO)

you are very welcome. Several from our roll call are staying there and all the guys are taking their own group and luggage to the pier and then those drivers will meet in the lobby and all split the taxi fare. It just worked out this way since we were all staying there. Hope you like it!!

We booked at the Hotel Galvez - they have a free shuttle to the pier, as well as free parking all week. I wanted to book at the Harbor House but they still have not opened their reservations for next year (we go in January) and I was advised that they require a two night minimum and rooms run $250 per night.

The Hotel Galvez is a wonderful, old, historic hotel and has a great view of the Gulf. The rooms are on the small side as in most historic hotels, but all have been refurbished. The lobby and grounds are great...it will probably be too cool to use the pool, but it is very pretty. As a matter of fact we had our daughters' (all three of them) wedding portraits taken at the hotel and the staff was so accommodating and great! The portraits were gorgeous too! And, hey, you can't beat a free shuttle and free parking!

well, i was misled - i checked for the umpteenth time and guess what!? the Harbor House just opened their reservations today - no two night minimum, and the rate is $155. they do charge $10 per day for parking, but not sure if that is just while you are staying or for each day during the week while you are cruising (it says they have "cruise parking" - but doesn't say if there is a cost - i had previously read it was only while you are staying, cruise parking is free). but since my reservation at Hotel Galvez is nonrefundable, guess that's where we'll be! just wanted to let others who were considering it know.

I was thinking of staying at the Best Western in Galveston. We're staying two nights pre-cruise (spring break 2/17/08). Needs to be clean and looking for something reasonable and in a central location. Both the Harbor House and Galvez looked beautiful but more expensive (and also had no cancelation policy which made me nervous). We're traveling with our DS (7).

I've never been to Galveston, so I'm definitely looking for advice/opinions.

Thanks to all.

We booked at the Hotel Galvez - they have a free shuttle to the pier, as well as free parking all week. I wanted to book at the Harbor House but they still have not opened their reservations for next year (we go in January) and I was advised that they require a two night minimum and rooms run $250 per night.

Must be seasonal. I stayed there last week on Wednesday night before my cruise. Only stayed one night @ $115/night + $17 tax + $10 parking (during the stay). Left my car for the 4 night duration of the cruise for free. It was great to walk to the hotel to retrieve my car while everyone else was lined up for shuttles.

Edit: I should have read the rest of the string before I replied because I see you found they had more reasonable rates even though you booked non-refundable already.

The Hotel Galvez does have a cancellation policy...it's three days before your arrival date. Now, if you get the special internet rate then you cannot cancel. You have to pay an extra $15 per night for the regular room rate. We're going next week during the week for two nights and the Galvez is $139+tax per night and I chose to pay a little extra just in case we had to cancel. The rates definitely will go up at all hotels in Galveston the beginning weekend of Spring Break. Of course, the hotels are also more expensive during the weekends. If you're going to make a reservation at any hotel, it would be wise to make it ASAP as Spring Break is very, very busy. You can barely drive down Seawall Blvd. during that week. The beach will be packed!

I was thinking of staying at the Best Western in Galveston. We're staying two nights pre-cruise (spring break 2/17/08). Needs to be clean and looking for something reasonable and in a central location. Both the Harbor House and Galvez looked beautiful but more expensive (and also had no cancelation policy which made me nervous). We're traveling with our DS (7).

I've never been to Galveston, so I'm definitely looking for advice/opinions.

Thanks to all.

If you scroll back on this thread KOOLBEANS has an opinion about Best Western. She (I think she, can't remember) recommended the Quality Inn and Suites. For your 7 yr old that might be a good option, as they have an indoor pool, also a decent breakfast and if you are driving, they offer free parking. No shuttle to the pier though. I booked them through choicehotels.com and I got a king room for $105 (SAM'S club discount) taxes and everything included for Feb 23.

My DH and I just got back from spending two nights at the Hotel Galvez. It was so peaceful...the ambiance is great. Plus, actually the food at the hotel restaurant was cheaper than some of the chain seafood restaurants down on the Strand. There are so many different places in the hotel to sit, have a drink (if you like!), and relax. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and as usual, the staff was very pleasant and the concierge were great!

Archived