Hotel Suggestions for Galveston

here we come

It might be a little difficult to find a hotel in Galveston on the first weekend of Spring Break. If all else fails, you can stay in the Clear Lake area...that's probably not even 30 minutes from the cruiseport in Galveston. There's the Tremont House on Ship's Mechanic Row which is 2 blocks from the cruiseport. It's usually around $100+ a night but is very nice. Plus, you're within walking distance of everything down on the Strand which includes lots of restaurants and shops. All the hotels will be more expensive that weekend due to the beginning of Spring Break and all the turistas that will be in town.

When is Spring Break? In my area, the Catholic schools take the week after Easter. The public schools take the week before Easter. The colleges take a week some in March and some in April. We are going on a cruise the week after Easter (Mar. 23 to Mar. 30).

Here it will be the week before Easter this year. The calendar has been changed due to the beginning of school being later this year. It used to be two weeks before Easter, but Easter is really early this year. So, the week before Easter for public and Catholic schools in the area.

Read52, I checked a little further and although most of the public and private schools have Spring Break the week before Easter, the University of Texas and Texas A & M have Spring Break the week of March 10 - 15. So, there will be lots of Spring Breakers in Galveston from March 10th through the Easter weekend. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help on Spring Break times. We like to come in the day before the cruise which is the Saturday before Easter. Our cruise leaves on Easter day. I am a Catholic school teacher so we have to choose that time. At Christmas we are going to visit our son, dil and new grandchild (he will be born at Thanksgiving) in San Antonio. If San Antonio was closer, I would fly into there, stay will my son and drive to the cruise the next day. But everyone says that it is about 5 hours away.

Thanks for the help on Spring Break times. We like to come in the day before the cruise which is the Saturday before Easter. Our cruise leaves on Easter day. I am a Catholic school teacher so we have to choose that time. At Christmas we are going to visit our son, dil and new grandchild (he will be born at Thanksgiving) in San Antonio. If San Antonio was closer, I would fly into there, stay will my son and drive to the cruise the next day. But everyone says that it is about 5 hours away.

San Antonio probably is about 5 hours from Galveston. Just a little too far to drive. I'm thinking that most people maybe won't stay on the island for Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday. Good luck and congratulations on the impending birth of your new grandchild. I love having a grandson and we're expecting another one in May. I can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to those who haven't been to Galveston: just because a hotel says it's on the beach (or it's implied in the name), it really isn't. Seawall Blvd (4-5 lanes) runs right along the beach and you do have to walk across it to actually get to the beach. I know most people are going when it would be a little cool to spend a lot of time in the water, but I wanted to give a heads up that you won't really walk out of your hotel onto the beach.

There are a couple of condos you can stay in on the very east end of the island if you are staying at least a couple of nights, and they really are ON the beach. They are called Islander East and the Galvestonian (there is major construction going on between them). Though during spring break, the units may only be able to be rented for a week, and since it's not far from Stewart Beach it could be the noisy end of the island. We stayed at the Islander East about four years ago for a week during off-season.

That's true that most of the hotels are not right "on" the beach, however, you just have to cross the street to get to the beach. Also, Seawall Blvd. is elevated about 10 - 15 ft. above sea level. That was all done after the hurricane in the early 1900's. You still get a beautiful sea view if your hotel offers that. Note that the Hotel Galvez offers "sea view" rooms and "city view" rooms. You pay a little extra for the sea views. However, at the San Luis (and a few other hotels) all the rooms have a sea view.

Archived