SF...Taxi vs shuttle?

xsnowman99

We are due in SF (airport) Having never been, I am wondering if we (there are 4 adults) are better off to try to take a taxi OR reserve a van for pickup from airport to Orchard Hotel. Are taxi fares reasonable/easy to get at airport? Thank you for any help you can give.

A taxi will be around $37 (plus $2 airport fee) plus they expect a tip. Everyone can ride in the taxi if you and your luggage can all fit. A van will be around $12-15 per person. So maybe a taxi is the way to go.

This is from the airport website:

Taxis depart from the designated taxi zones located at the roadway center islands, on the Arrivals/Baggage Claim Level of all terminals.

Uniformed taxi coordinators are stationed at the taxi zones from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. to assist passengers with questions or concerns.

Ramp accessible taxis are available. Please contact the taxi coordinator to request a ramp accessible taxi, or phone *1191 from any airport courtesy phone.

Taxi drivers are required by airport regulation to accept fares to all Bay Area destinations.

Approximate fares to San Francisco:

• Cow Palace - $29
  • Downtown - $37
  • Fisherman’s Wharf - $44

Metered rates apply to all destinations. Destinations either 15 miles beyond the limits of the City and County of San Francisco or 15 miles beyond the boundaries of San Francisco International Airport are charged at 150% of the metered rate. A $2.00 exit surcharge is included in all San Francisco taxicab meter fares for rides originating from San Francisco International Airport. By sharing a ride, up to 5 persons can ride for the price of 1 person.

The title said it. Cabs are plentiful at SFO & with 4 people fare should not be an issue. Only question is if the cab would have enough storage space for your luggage. The distance is not far, maybe 10 miles from the airport to the Orchard around Union Sq. Instead of a shuttle I'd consider hiring my own "town car' for 4 people it should be pretty reasonable. I'm just guessing but I'd bet $70-80 buys a scheduled town car pickup from SFO to downtown. I'm just guessing a cab would be $30-50. Have a great time.

There are two types of taxis readily available at the SFO airport; sedans and taxi cab vans. Just take a taxi cab van and you should be fine. There were five of us for a cruise a few years ago and we all fit in the taxi cab van. It's a more economical way to go given that there are four of you.

Keith

Archived