Mexico or Alaska / Carnival Spirit or RCCl Radiance of the Seas

Cavy92

I am looking to take my wife to celebrate our 5th anniversary next year in September. We were on the Spirit in Jan 2003 and loved the ship, and saw the Brilliance of the Seas and she said, "Wow!" I never would have thought of going on an Alaskan Cruise, but everyone says it is gorgeous, and my wife loves Nature. I am looking for some opinions from people regarding their Mexican Riviera trips and Alaskan Trips, and also if someone has done Alaska on Carnival and/or RCCL. I am a Carnival person, but the Radiance appears to be a beautiful ship. All opinions welcome, good and bad.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kevin

Wow, Kevin, my daughter and I were on the Spirit in Jan 2003 also...the last week. I live in the Seattle area and have not really had any desire yet to do Alaska since my surroundings are very close to those of Alaska, minus the glaciers of course. But, I see you are coming from GA., so it may be a real treat for you and there will be tons of nature things. I have also been on the Radiance twice when it was doing it's 3 and 4 day trips out of Seattle to Canada and it is a beautiful ship also. I am going on the Elation over Thanksgiving and already planning on the Spirit again in 2005 for it's new Mexico Riviera route.

Let me know when you sailed the Spirit....if you were on the same week, then you would remember my daughter.

And if you decide on Alaska and fly in early to Seattle, I can give you lots of info.

Can't go wrong with either choice....

Debbie

First let me say that I was on the radiance of the seas for an Alaska cruise in Sept. 2002 and it was wonderful. I totally believe that which ship depends on personal taste and specific mission of the cruise. I can tell you because I have been doing a lot of research on the Spirit class ships while planning a future cruise for my elderly parents that the radiance has more glass. In Alaska I found the glass and the ocean front elevators a big PLUS. Not to say anything bad about the spirit, but in Alaska being able to see out at almost all times I believe is a must! and I find that the Spirit class ships do not have near the amount of glass as the radiance class ships of RCCL.

Once again its up to you, glitz and glamour (Spirit) or suave and majestic (radiance). It is 100% dependent on personal taste.

I was on the Jan 3 cruise. It was amazing. I loved the Spirit.

I am looking at going to the Mexican Riviera, which we have not done, or go on the cruise to Alaska. The ship I was looking at for Mexico is the Pride, which is the same as the Spirit. Thank you for all the information, and keep it coming.

• 2 months later...

I was on the Radiance in 2003 and loved it and just returned from the Mexican Riviera on the Spirit. The Radiance is really beautiful and I just loved every minute on the ship. The food in the dining was far better on the Spirit. But, I felt the activites and people more fun on the Radiance. Smoking is very restricted on the Radiance, but very common throughout on the Spirit. I lived in Alaska 35 years ago, so would hesitate to go back, but it is so spectacular. Mexico is beautiful too, but of a different type. It is such a personal choice. But, I always say how can you not love a cruise........7 days of relaxation.......certainly beats work and life's daily stresses.

We went to Alaska on the Spirit this last summer over the 4th of July to celibrate our 25th anniversary and thought it was great. We had been on the Spirit before and enjoyed it for a second time. We had always cruised in the Caribbean before Alaska and it truly is a beautiful and different experience, for one you can see land quite a bit of the time as you sail through the narrow passages. We are booked on the Pride in February to go to the Mexican Riveria and have never done that before. One thing that I feel is a must, is to go to Vancouver a day or two earlier than the cruise as it is a beautiful town. Either way enjoy your anniversary and I'm sure you'll enjoy either.

dpfred

Archived