Change to Itinerary

katkell

I was just checking on cruise personaliser for the Dec 5 Sun Princess and much to my surprise...they have changed the itinerary.

When we booked, there was one day in Dunedin, and one day in Christchurch. Now Dunedin is out and we have Christchurch for 2 days.

Can anyone who has been to Christchurch advise what good things to do in Christchurch for 2 days, that don't necessarily involve ship excursions.

The shore excursions are still showing Dunedin, so I guess it is a case of the left not talking to the right?

Thanks Katrina

PS Not terribly happy about the change, but they do have the right to change anything, just wonder if they will let us know about it :(

As a local of Christchurch, I would suggest for the two days that you look at hiring a car, at least for one day for an excursion out of the city. The cruise ship will dock at Lyttelton, which is about 12km from the centre of town - about 20 mins drive by car. There is a bus service that can bring you into the city if you don't want to hire a car.

In the centre of town the main tourist attractions are The Cathedral in the Square, which has a tower you can climb to have a view over the Square and the rather controversial 'Chalice' sculpture. The Square has a giant chess set free to use, and there is also an Aquarium (which does cost) complete with live kiwi's if you want to see some. The Information Centre is here too if you want to book any local tours.

You can also catch a tram which does a small circuit which takes you past the Art Centre (which has artist/craft shops, and a market on the weekends), the Art Gallery, Museum and the Botanical Gardens which are part of Hagley Park. It also goes through a cute pedestrian only street with cafes and boutique shops. You buy a day pass for the tram and can hop on and off as much as you want.

The other main tourist attractions are the Antartic Centre, which is out by the airport (another 11km from the Square, about 20 mins by car, or take another bus), Orana Park wildlife zoo (past the airport, not sure if there is a bus to it) or the Gondola (which goes up the Port Hills which separate Lyttelton from the city).

If you have a car you could venture further afield. You could drive north to the alpine town of Hanmer Springs, which is about 1.5 hours drive by car, which has a hotspring pool complex, and adventure activities such as bungy jumping, jetboat rides, horse riding, fishing and nature walks. On the way to Hanmer Springs you will go through the Waipara valley, which is a wine growing region with lots of wineries to stop at for a tasting or a meal. There is a also a scenic train ride there.

Alternatively you can drive south to the Banks Penisula town of Akaroa. This was a French settlement and still has a French influence. There are some fantastic views on the drive over, and there is an artisan cheese factory at Barry's Bay on the way. In Akaroa you can do dolphin watching boat trips, scenic walks, and there are lovely cafes and little shops to poke around in.

There are shuttle buses that run to Akaroa and Hanmer Springs from the Square, and also to the Antartic Centre. I hope this helps give you some ideas!

Thanks Clozzie,

What are some of the local pub attractions, any really good places to stop at. We are really interested in the local jet boat rides, and I would like to do a comparison with what the ship offers and the local tour operator, can you provide a name?

Thanks Katrina

I was just checking on cruise personaliser for the Dec 5 Sun Princess and much to my surprise...they have changed the itinerary.

When we booked, there was one day in Dunedin, and one day in Christchurch. Now Dunedin is out and we have Christchurch for 2 days.

Can anyone who has been to Christchurch advise what good things to do in Christchurch for 2 days, that don't necessarily involve ship excursions.

The shore excursions are still showing Dunedin, so I guess it is a case of the left not talking to the right?

Thanks Katrina

PS Not terribly happy about the change, but they do have the right to change anything, just wonder if they will let us know about it :(

We are booked on the 19th jan ,Sun Princess new zealand...same thing has happened to us also.

Wonder why?

Deb

I was just checking on cruise personaliser for the Dec 5 Sun Princess and much to my surprise...they have changed the itinerary.(

We are booked on the 19th jan ,Sun Princess new zealand...same thing has happened to us also.

Wonder why? Deb

I think the 5 Dec and the 19 Jan cruise are the ones where they are offering the shorter fly cruises to ChCh.This might have something to do with the change.

Are you booked on the 6,8,or 14 day cruise?

05-Dec-2007 South Pacific - NZ 6 Nights Sun Princess, New Zealand Cruise ex Sydney to Christchurch

05-Dec-2007 South Pacific - NZ 14 Nights Sun Princess, Grand Vistas ex Sydney Return

11-Dec-2007 South Pacific - NZ 8 Nights Sun Princess, New Zealand Cruise ex Christchurch to Sydney

:D

One of our ports has dissapeared from our itinerary too. I'm not on that ship though. I wonder what P&O are up to??

Jo ... I emailed P&O today about Savu Savu on our cruise and this is the response I got (all good it would appear:D )

Dear Linda

Thank you for emailing Carnival Australia.

N809N

Savu Savu is listed for the 29 Feb08 on the P&O Website its not listed on the Cruise Personaliser as Fiji is the main island

so it will stop off at Savu Savu for the 29feb08

If you have any further queries please contact our reservations department on 13 24 69 or your local travel agent.

Many thanks

Kiri Te Amo

Information

P&O Cruises Australia

Locked Bag 1014, St.Leonards, NSW 1590

AU: Phone: 13 24 69, Fax: (02) 8424 9161

NZ: Phone: 0800 95 12 00, Fax: 0800 95 12 01

http://www.pocruises.com.au

Jetboating is available on the Waimakariri river, which is on the outskirts of Christchurch, as well as at Hanmer Springs. Alpine Jet operate on the Waimak and have prices starting at $65. Thrillseekers operate the jetboating at Hanmer Springs, but their website doesn't have prices on it.

For the pub scene your best bet is Oxford Tce between Worcester St and Cashel St (locally known as 'The Strip') in the centre of town which runs along the Avon and has all the bars you could want. Within walking distance from here, the new hot spots are His Lordships Lane (off Lichfield Street) and Poplar St (off Tuam St).

Having said that, on a good night Lyttelton has quite a vibrant pub culture as they get a lot of fishing boats etc in. Check out The Volcano cafe/bar, or for something a bit different The Wunderbar. These have websites if you google, I don't think I'm allowed to put them up here...

Archived