OK, I strayed.. But I'm coming back!!

logcabin

OK, I'll admit that as an avid NCL cruiser and having cruised NCL the past 3 years, my wife and I strayed. We just returned from our RCCL Explorer of the Seas cruise. It was enjoyable, but not like NCL. So, we are already booked for our next cruise! Our 3rd on the Dawn (and in an AD Suite again) for next June to Bermuda. And, we are bringing friends with us who have never been on a cruise! Counting the days already! For those interested, here's a link to my RCCL Explorer review over on the RCCL Boards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=621933

NCL, we missed ya and we're coming back!

Welcome back

I recall reading a thread, I have read so many over the past few months, that I can't find again. I think you were in the AA on the Spirit. My brother and his wife just booked it for 6 days to Canada. This will be their first cruise. Is there Any feedback or tips you can provide?

Thank you

Yes, be prepared for the vibration and rattles in the suite. This was the only thing that bothered us. More so my wife then I as I sleep with earplugs at night and didn't hear the rattling. This mostly happens while traveling at full speed. Other then that, they'll love the suite and all the perks that come with it.

It's funny, but NCL just works for us also. I know many compalin about NCL and many over on the RCCL Boards dislike NCL. But we have always had great experiences. Maybe that's because we always stay in suites on NCL. But, for my wife and I, we like the freedom to do what we want, when we want and all by ourselves. My only complaint is that our June 2008 cruise on the Dawn in an AD suite is significantly higher next year then we have paid for an AD in the past. I understand rising costs, thus having to raise the cruise fair. But, to be paying the same price for an AD next June that we paid for an Owners Suite on the Spirit last year is a bit much. I only hope that the prices will come down a bit before final payment.

Maybe that's because we always stay in suites on NCL. You may be on to somthing , as this is our afliction as well. I think you have a good chance of your price droping between now and and next june .

good luck .

mpk

Our first cruise was on the Sun and we fell in love with cruising!! Our next cruise was on RCL Adventure of the Seas - it had a good itinerary and thought we'd try something different. We enjoyed the cruise, but we definitely decided freestyle was for us. Last year we went on the Star Princess - thought with the choice of dining options it would be much like NCL. Well we were wrong. The ship was nice and the price was right, but the entertainment, restaurants and food was not up to NCL standards.

So, we're back too!! Going on the Pearl in February - 9 day southern caribbean. We can't wait...:)

We will think long and hard before leaving NCL again...

Our first cruise was on the Sun and we fell in love with cruising!! Our next cruise was on RCL Adventure of the Seas - it had a good itinerary and thought we'd try something different. We enjoyed the cruise, but we definitely decided freestyle was for us. Last year we went on the Star Princess - thought with the choice of dining options it would be much like NCL. Well we were wrong. The ship was nice and the price was right, but the entertainment, restaurants and food was not up to NCL standards.

So, we're back too!! Going on the Pearl in February - 9 day southern caribbean. We can't wait...:)

We will think long and hard before leaving NCL again...

See how great minds think alike , our next cruise " Pearl 9 day southern,

, March ..:D

I so wish we could sail other than the summer months. I would love to do the 9/10 or 12 day out of NYC. But alas... My wife is a teacher and we can only go in the summer. We won't go during school spring breaks, etc. for obvious reasons.. However, since my wife teaches at a private school, she gets out the first week of June. That's when we go, as this is usually a week or two before most other schools let out..

I had given up on cruising after trips with Commodore, Holland America and Royal Caribbean, seven cruises in total including a thirty day trans Atlantic from Rio. Loved them all, but could not handle the regimentation of set meal times and dressing up for a formal night after a day on the beach. I didn't want to rush back from shore excursions or miss a good sunset because it was time to eat. Finally someone suggested I check on NCL because of anytime dining. We took the Panama Canal cruise on the Sun and loved it. We have booked an AD suite for next summer and I can hardly wait.

All the cruise lines have their good points, so it just depends on what you are looking for in a holiday.

:)

We still dress on formal night, we still dress each night for dinner, etc. And, since we prefer to eat late (between 8:30 - 10pm) we never had to wait for a table anyplace. To us, Freestyle is the only way to go and love the freedom..

Our first cruise this past summer - NCL. We thought it was great, but then we had nothing to compare to. If we wanted to compare and go with another cruise line for our next cruise, who would you suggest?

You should give Princess a shot. They have something similar to Freestyle - believe it is called Anytime Dining. My DH and I go back and forth between Princess and NCL. We tend to book sort-of last minute - full payment is generally due when we book - so we based on cruises on itinerary and price. We have enjoyed both NCL and Princess about equally. We accepted an upsell to an owners suite on our last cruise (NCL Jewel) which may have swayed us towards NCL but I wouldn't hesitate to book another Princess cruise if the price and itinerary looked enticing.

I have to say I've never had a bad cruise - its all in what you make it!

We have been on Disney, Princess. Norweigan, and mostly Royal Caribbean. They are all different experiences and we have loved them all. I guess we are not hard to please. We have troubled as a couple and all size family groups up to our 50th Ann. cruise where we had nineteen of us. The nine grandchildren from 9 to 17 had a ball going to dinner everynight where the same waiters were so cute with them. The head waiter made a special effort to entertain them with magic tricks. The only time we did not have as good an experience was on Princess. The dining experience was great. We enjoyed the different restaurants but the waiters were so formal and business like. They actred like they were too busy to be friendly. We were on that cruse with just a son and dtr in law. Any cruise is what you make it and variety is the spice of life. How about trying a different experience?

I agree with BZY GRMA. We have only cruised one other time in Sept 06 on the CArnival Fantasy. Not the best food or cabin pretty good service and we all had the time of our lives and are hooked on cruising. It was a long time dream of ours to cruise. and now my goal is to cruise every every ship or at least every line more than once before the end of my life.

quess I better get to cruising. I think the best thing is to not sweat the small stuff and enjoy life no matter what cruise line or ship your on.:D

I agree with BZY GRMA. We have only cruised one other time in Sept 06 on the CArnival Fantasy. Not the best food or cabin pretty good service and we all had the time of our lives and are hooked on cruising. It was a long time dream of ours to cruise. and now my goal is to cruise every every ship or at least every line more than once before the end of my life.

quess I better get to cruising. I think the best thing is to not sweat the small stuff and enjoy life no matter what cruise line or ship your on.:D

I agree completely . Try different lines and ships . There are so many different variables to consider. Formal /Not , large ship is much different than a smaller one , Diner times is a big one . And a four day can not even be compared to a seven or more day cruise . So ,get out thhere and try'em all . Then you will settle into what fits YOU..

Sail on ......MPK

Archived