bugs on the beaches

ArkansasFish

If you take your chickens, make sure you cover them with some Deep Woods Off so they don't get bit up. ;)

Seriously, the noseeums are in most places with warm climates. I've been absolutely devoured on a golf course along the coast in central Florida, and they've made me miserable along the gulf coast in Mississippi. They've chowed on me in Cozumel & Belize.

But they are consistently bad on Roatan. Don't miss out on seeing one of the most incredilby beautiful places you'll ever have the opportunity to see, though. Just go prepared with some repellant that contains deet. You're only there for part of a day - it isn't that difficult to make sure you keep the repellant on. I'd suggest a sprayon kind (less economical for long term use, but no problem for a half a day).

• 1 month later...

I spent 12 fabulous days on Roatan this year, love the place and will go back for 12 more in 2006!

Yes the sand fleas can be a problem, deep woods off works.. only thing is it washes off in the ocean and you usually get bit when you come out of the water and forget to immediately re-apply. One of my friends who is really fair skinned and bug bite prone like I am used that waterproof Sun tan lotion which contains deet (Bug and Sun by Coppetone or Avon Skin so Soft sun, Deep woods off sun lotion) etc. She had no problems with the flies since the bug repellant was part of the waterproof sun lotion so didn't wash off when she went in and out of the water.

THey also have a local sun lotion and repellant called Cactus Juice that you can find in pretty much any store in Roatan. That also works really well.

Andrea

We did take our bug spray and put it on and were hardly bothered at all. Out of 8 woman I recd only 3 bites and my neice recd about 10 but we did not itch them and they did not bother us. We did ride the horses and maybe that is why we did get some bites but the other 5 at Mayan Princess did not get any but were in the water most of the time too.

Archived