Suites on the Mariner

joebert

I am planning on going on the Mariner of the Seas August 2008. I have told TW (the wife)we could get a suite. We are going with our 10 year old daughter.

We have been on about 8 cruises with cabins from inside to balcony but never a suite.

Is it worth it to spend the extra money on a Grand Suite or even an Owner's Suite rather than a Junior Suite?

What are the advantages of the higher classes?

We were in an OS on Mariner in July. It was my wife and I and our 11 year old daughter. All I can say is that the extra room was incredible. We were indeed treated like royalty by the concierge who bent over backwards to accomodate any reservation request.

We were in an OS on Mariner in July. It was my wife and I and our 11 year old daughter. All I can say is that the extra room was incredible. We were indeed treated like royalty by the concierge who bent over backwards to accomodate any reservation request.

Were you contacted by e-mail prior to your trip or did they handle all reservations once the trip started? Did you get every reservation that you wanted and the times you wanted?

Thanks,

Joanne

Even though the JS are significantly smaller than the GS, I actually prefer them on the Mariner, because of the awesome walk-in closet and ample shelves. If you've taken your daughter with you on the other cruises in smaller cabins, obviously you don't feel that you need the space of a larger suite. ;)

That being said, you don't get Concierge Lounge access in the JS. I guess it depends on how much that's worth to you, and what the price difference is. Sometimes you can get really great bargains on the JS, or sometimes they're almost as much as the GS.

What does the Concierge do for you?

I know he/she will make dinner reservation, shore excursions and spa appointments. Anything else? This seems to be stuff I can do myself in 15 minutes.

For most people, the main draw seems to be the lounge part, not the concierge part -- primarily the evening cocktail hour. :D I'm not a drinker so I don't know exactly what's available and I've never paid attention to the exact schedule, but it's in the evenings for a couple of hours. It seems to be quite a major draw.

We did receive an email from the concierge on the Wednesday before the cruise. We requested spa reservations and Portofino reservations, as well as a dinner table near a window. All of our requests were met.

The lounge was one flight down from the room. The coffee and breakfast was good. I would have a light breakfast snack and coffee while the girls were getting ready. The before dinner drinks and snacks were a nice treat as well.

Had a GS on the Mariner (just husband and I) last October and LOVED it: Mariner is a FANTASTIC ship, GS was really spacious and great bathroom and balcony and the Concierge and Concierge Lounge were nice bonuses.

We saw an OS (on the Mariner) in passing (through an open door whilst it was being cleaned) and it looked COMPLETELY AMAZING... We have since booked an OS on the Liberty for this month (again, just the two of us).

Whether it is "worth it" is a completely personal choice: we certainly loved the GS (we have stayed in a JS on the Monarch before) and I know that we will love the OS. Did we not enjoy our cruise in a JS on the Monarch (or JSs on other cruise lines)? Of course not: they were fantastic!

Whatever you decide, you will have a great cruise - Mariner is amazing... :)

Boo

Archived