New here! :) Going on the STAR in December....a few questions....

1newf1not

HI!!! New to this :) But we are just about to book our Mexican Cruise

out of LA in December...I have a ton of questions....and some be answered when I get a chance to read thru all the posts ;) BUT:

#1 What is the weather really going to be like in Decemeber???????

I am a beach and sun girl ;)

#2 Bringing alcohol on board?? Hmmm never knew we COULD?? can we??

#3 Can someone tell me what a guaranteed room MEANS? I have called a couple of places...I have been told...it will mean NCl can put us anywhere on the ship with a possible upgrade....AND I hav been told if I perfer deck 8....I will be anywhere on deck 8 with a possible upgrade?

#4 Anyone....so flew into LA a day early or so...where did you stay????

we plan to get SOME tourist stuff in.....if possible :) And still make it to our cruise.

ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME!!!! :)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

I am booked for this cruise in January. Take a look on the west coast departure board for TONS of hotel ideas for the night before. So far what I can figure out is the top 3 always recommended in San Pedro are the Crowne Plaze ($150+), the Doubletree ($130+) and the Vagabond ($65-$85). All 3 have free shuttles to the pier. A shuttle from LAX to those hotels are about $35 for 2 people.

Guarenteed means you are guarenteed to receive a cabin in the category you booked, and MAY or may not get an upgrade. If you booked a category C, you will receive a room in category C or higher. Just be happy with what category you book and expect nothing higher, and if it does happen, then you are lucky.

So don't book the lowest price inside room and hope that you are going to end up with a deck 8 balcony room - NOT going to happen. Also, if the category you booked is on more than just deck 8, you could end up on any deck those rooms are on. You can't request a deck.

As for bringing alcohol on board, NO you are not allowed. They will confiscate it from your luggage. You can bring non-alcoholic drinks (ie: pop) on board if you wish. Some people have tried to sneak booze on in mouthwash bottles and stuff, and some have been found, and others make it through. Being a non-drinker myself, its not an issue for me.

HI!!! New to this :) But we are just about to book our Mexican Cruise

out of LA in December...I have a ton of questions....and some be answered when I get a chance to read thru all the posts ;) BUT:

#1 What is the weather really going to be like in Decemeber???????

I am a beach and sun girl ;)

#2 Bringing alcohol on board?? Hmmm never knew we COULD?? can we??

#3 Can someone tell me what a guaranteed room MEANS? I have called a couple of places...I have been told...it will mean NCl can put us anywhere on the ship with a possible upgrade....AND I hav been told if I perfer deck 8....I will be anywhere on deck 8 with a possible upgrade?

#4 Anyone....so flew into LA a day early or so...where did you stay????

we plan to get SOME tourist stuff in.....if possible :) And still make it to our cruise.

ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME!!!! :)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

We will be on her in less than 3 weeks, I can hardly wiat.

From what I have heard, read and from living a good part of my life in So Calif I think you can count on the weather being a little nippy the first day or two out. So Calif and the Baja coast can be cold and foggy that time of year, but by the time you reach Acapulco you will be fine, in fact it will be very warm. Then the heat should continue until you depart Cabo.

Don't even think about bringing booze on board.

A guarantee cabin means just what you have been told. You will get at least the catagory you booked and maybe upgraded. sometimes it is just a simple one catagory upgrade, others it can be very rewarding. Just remember you could get what is considered an upgrade by simply being on a higher deck, but a worse location on the ship.

Depending on where you fly into I would recommend staying in the Long Beach area. In fact I recommend you fly into Long Beach if you can. It is a small airport with not many flights, but the location is great. If you end up flying inot LAX think of staying near the airport. We have chosen the Embassy suites North right there. You can get tours from that area or rent a car.

i hope this helps you a little. We are all here to try and answer questions. We love to give advise, good or bad, we take it sometimes too, but not often. LOL

We just got back from Alaska aboard the STar.

We brought our own wine.

We declared it at embarkation.

We paid $15 a bottle corkage fees.

We could enjoy the wine in our room or take it to any restaurant. This saved us a lot of money.

Happy cruising!

Archived