From Oklahoma To Galveston......

sea_u_onboard

I have some girlfriends who are driving down from OK to Galveston for our girls cruise next September. We also have a group driving down from DFW. We plan to go down the day before but they don't want to drive all the way.

What is a good city to stop between OK and Galveston? Anyone have a hotel you can suggest with a indoor pool - maybe a solarium? Resturants nearby?

You might try Best Western Crown Colony Inn and Suites in Lufkin(pool not indoor),or the Comfort Suites at So. Broadway Mall in Tyler(indoor pool) both on Hwy 69 ,,just depends on where in Ok. your friends are,and how far you would like to get before joining up with them. Not much on I 45 between Dallas and Houston though.Hope this helps.

When we visit family in Tulsa we always stop about half way. We like to stop in Plano/Richardson area. There is a hotel called The Renaissance right on Hwy. 75 in Plano with an indoor pool and tons of restaurants nearby. I love Plano because of the selection of food and shops. Hope this helps. BTW....we get to Tulsa up I-45 to Dallas and then hit Hwy. 75 to Ok.

We want to get futher south. My sisiter and I will be coming from Fort Worth - so stopping in Plano - you can see the problem :) .

I found a Best Western in Madisonville that looks promising - indoor pool and spa - says it's half way between DFW and Houston. Anyone ever stay here?

I will check out the other BW mentioned. They don't mind going more then half way - just don't want to drive too long.

It's going to be Labor Day weekend so we are going to avoid Galveston hotels.

Could probably make it to Huntsville but food isn't really a deciding factor as we will probably all just grab something and meet back at the hotel to hang by the pool. Prefer the indoor pool so we can hang out without bugs and such.

I will check out the hotels around there.

Look into The Woodlands, just north of Houston. about 4 hours from DFW area and about 1.5 hours to Galveston. There are 2 hotels to look at - the Marriott, just across the street from a mall and lots of restaurants. Or the Woodlands conference center and resort:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/houmw-the-woodlands-waterway-marriott-hotel-and-convention-center/

http://www.woodlandsresort.com/

you can stay there a couple of days (shop, eat, hang out by the pool, maybe take in a concert at the Pavilion). then drive down to Galveston the morning of your cruise.

http://www.woodlandscenter.org/

have fun!

Thanks for the info. I will look into it and pass it on. I'm going to leave it up to my OK friends where they want to stay as we could make it from DFW with no problem.

Some of the people haven't seen each other in almost 30 years - so they have A LOT of catching up to do.

If you decide to choose The Woodlands and need any other info - just drop a note w/your questions back into your posting. I have it set w/a subscription and will see any questions you may have. sounds like a great trip to catch up!!

We have a while before the trip. When I told my GF I was looking at hotels she said, "Boy, do you plan ahead or what?" I told her that it is a holiday weekend and I just want to make sure we get rooms before prices go up. I figure I'll reserve a couple different hotels and then finalize when it gets closer.

I will be posting if I have more questions - thanks..............

How far North in OK are they driving in from?

I'm in SE OK and we made the drive to Galveston (after school) in about 7 hours, this included a supper/bathroom stop. Someone mentioned Hwy 75 in their reply and that runs about 4 minutes from our house!

It's not that bad of a drive, really and traffic moved faster than we expected!

Archived