How's the Holiday?

floataway

My husband and I will be going out on the Holiday (Mobile, AL) on Oct 4th with some friends who have never cruised. We have cruised quite a bit but this will be our friends first time. We chose this cruise because of the dates and price and will be driving from Texas (20 miles North of Galveston). We just got off Ecstasy last week and loved it. Just a little unsure of what shape Holiday is in and how she rates due to her age and size.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks -

Just go to the members reviews on the ship. Holiday may be old but she was good to me a few years ago. I saw some wear here and there but nothing that would spoil my cruise. Holiday is the sister ship of Celebration. I see you have sailed her before. Holiday has the same decks and dinning set up. I will be getting off her again as you get on. Have a great trip. :)

My wife and I have sailed RCCL over the years, and Carnival also. Last year, we opted for the Holiday; close to home, good ports (we dive) and super pricing. We decided not to compare the Holiday to the other newer and larger ships prior to embarking.

Yes, she is old and small. She is dated in the public areas. However, she is as well maintained as she can be. There are signs of age. Yet, she still looks good. I asked a few of the crew why they are on the Holiday. The reply was that they choose to be there and love the ambiance of a small ship. From the time one gets to the port, the enthusiasm level of the port employess and crew is super!

If your friends have never sailed, they will have nothing to compare her to. Let them make their own assessments. If they enjoy the experience, then tell them what is available on the newer, larger ships; AFTER the cruise. If they enjoy the open sea, the ports, the leisurely pace then cruising is for them. Then they can explore the cruise llines for other ships.

Since our cruise on the Holiday, my wife and some of her co-workers have chosen to cruise on her twice; rather than their semi-annual trips to the beach. We plan another cruise on her next spring.

Unfortunately, there is a rumor floating around that the Holiday is destined for replacement with a larger, slightly newer ship. No confirmation, even from my PVP.

In the meantime, enjoy your cruise and hoist a toast to those of us who must continue to face the daily work life back here at home.

Captain Ronn

Holiday is a smaller and older ship, but will be a great first cruise for your friends. She was our first cruise out of New Orleans in Feb 2004 and as you can see 6 cruises later we loved it. We are planning to go again in February 2008, it is only 2.5 hours from our home and it will most likley be our last cruise on Holiday since the rumers are she will be replaced by early 2009, we'll see.

Go and enjoy your cruise I am sure your friends will get hooked just like the rest of us.:)

just got off Sept 1st, and will go again this Sat., my 8th.as well as 10 more booked on her. I've sailed 22 cruises total. The drive of 100 miles is a great asset, the price for a solo traveler another, but have sailed other small/large ships..you just cant beat the service here. Sure..older etc, but for my $$ a wonderful choice, I feel at home, and love the crew members. I always do something different every time, with out excursions.I've made many friends, and we are sailing togeher in the near future together,and we booked our time, not even consulting w/each other. there must be some magic connected to this phenomenon!

We will be sailing on her in December. The last time we sailed her was back in 2003.

Just remember that she (and the Celebration) do not have the big multi story atrium that the Ecstasy does.

For the price, I believe she is still a very good deal. The 3 of us are sailing for 5 days for less than $1.000 for a 6D (Empress with a window)....which on this class of ship is the highest you can go without getting a suite.

I would stay away from the Riveria level. There have been some complaints about some odors there. I would book to the middle of the ship because she does "shimmy". We always book our cabins as AFT as we can get them....but not on the Holiday.

Again, neither of these complaints would stop me from sailing on her (obviously) but I just wanted you to hear some of the cons...along with the vasy majority of PROS she has going for her.

Have a great cruise!!

Just off the Holiday yesterday.. will be posting my review soon.

We were very impressed. She is older... but very well taken care off. The staff is excellent. We had a wonderful time.

I have lots of pictures that I will be posting too.... just haven't gotten the chance yet.

We were on the 9/1 Holiday sailing. The ship is in good condition. The crew is excellent! Service was great! The food was great too. We ate dinner in the dining room every night. We had a wonderful time and I wouldn't hesitate to book on the Holiday again.

I did hear some folks complaining about air conditioning problems but our room was always cool. Folks in the aft cabins felt a great deal of vibration but we were midship and didn't feel any vibration.

just got off Sept 1st, and will go again this Sat., my 8th.as well as 10 more booked on her.

Wondering if you or anyone else has sailed in one of the twelve Category 12 Suites on the Holiday and how you liked the experience. What have you heard about them ?

I am not interested in opinions about the cost :rolleyes: - only the facilities, service and treatment that comes with them !

Thanks

We were on her twice this year. Our first time cruising...LoVeD LoVeD LOVED it! Both times on Empress with O/V. Had a great time as you can tell! Next year we are going bigger...lol. The Conquest...but would love to go on the Holiday again. The service was wonderful...and ohh the food!! We are in the dining room everying night. My 18 yr old son with Downs went the last time. He had a great time....he ordered a steak and a hotdog in the dining room..lol...we thought that was funny but the waiter never blinked an eye. They were soo good to him!Have a great cruise! Don't forget the midnight buffet...Best Mexican food i've had in a long time..lol:)

:D Thanks for all the great input. We are excited and as someone posted, since it's our friends 1st, we will save all our opinions for a later time so our friends can form their own opinions.

We booked M1 which is the most front cabin and are a little concerned with that decision. It was a free upgrade to port hole so we thought 'what the heck'. Our friends are in M3.

The prices was definetely the best ($189pp). Since we booked last Friday, the rates went up and our friends had to pay $40pp more.

Might even through our platinum card out and see if we can get another upgrade? Never tried it... hmmm.

Someone posted they were planning the Conquest. Very nice ship but a little hard to find the dining halls from certain floors. You will have a great time. Our favorite ship so far is Spirit. Loved the ship - of course the fact we were cruising Alaska could of been part of the reason we fell in love... along with the fact we had cabin 4228 which is the best suite!!

Bon Voyage !!!

:D Thanks for all the great input. We are excited and as someone posted, since it's our friends 1st, we will save all our opinions for a later time so our friends can form their own opinions.

We booked M1 which is the most front cabin and are a little concerned with that decision. It was a free upgrade to port hole so we thought 'what the heck'. Our friends are in M3.

The prices was definetely the best ($189pp). Since we booked last Friday, the rates went up and our friends had to pay $40pp more.

Might even through our platinum card out and see if we can get another upgrade? Never tried it... hmmm.

Someone posted they were planning the Conquest. Very nice ship but a little hard to find the dining halls from certain floors. You will have a great time. Our favorite ship so far is Spirit. Loved the ship - of course the fact we were cruising Alaska could of been part of the reason we fell in love... along with the fact we had cabin 4228 which is the best suite!!

Bon Voyage !!!

Having sailed on the Holiday 5 times, and loving each of those cruises, thought I'd chime in here. I've been on Riviera Deck, Main Deck, as well as Empress, both forward and aft; no complaints here. It should however, be noted that cabin M-3 in which your friends are staying, is indeed a porthole cabin, but know that the two single beds do not convert to a king. I was in that cabin last year and was kinda surprised, but since I happened to be alone on that cruise, I wasn't concerned. Had my lady friend, who was originally scheduled to sail with me been along, I might have been irate, lol! Have a great cruise!

Archived