Do we need a Brazilian Visa?

To all of those who have booked the transatlantic cruise from Lisbon to Sao Paulo Brazil in December 2007; have you purchased visas? We have recieved conflicting information about the need for a visa. My main concern is once we arrive in Sao Paulo. Although we booked our airfare with RCCI, which includes tranfers to the airport, we have booked a tour with a private company from Santos to the Sao Paulo airport. According to RCCI reservations, as long as I am not staying Brazil over night that is not a problem. I hate to spend almost 500.00 on a visa I do not need, but surely do not want to be stuck in Brazil either.

Thanks you in advance for your responses!

I would think definitely so, especially since you are doing independent touring. The Brazillian visa will cost about $110/person if you mail it in (ie, you don't live near one of the regional offices). The turnaround time is pretty good on them.

You should get it very soon. The travel has to take place within 6 months I believe but then it is good for a couple of years, I think 5 but not positive. If you wait to long and have to expedite it like my daughter had to for business travel then it was over 400+$ :eek: Thank goodness her company paid for it!

You should get it very soon. The travel has to take place within 6 months I believe but then it is good for a couple of years, I think 5 but not positive. If you wait to long and have to expedite it like my daughter had to for business travel then it was over 400+$ :eek: Thank goodness her company paid for it!

When we got ours in 2002, it was good for 10 years. We'll go back again just to get our monies worth! We went to the Amazon from Houston. Pretty interesting trip.

I would think definitely so, especially since you are doing independent touring. The Brazillian visa will cost about $110/person if you mail it in (ie, you don't live near one of the regional offices). The turnaround time is pretty good on them.

Just looked in my passport, the current validity of a tourist visa (obtained in 2006) is 5 years with mulitple entries permitted

I *think* you have 3 months from the date of issue to enter Brazil for the first time. You have to send it to your regional office (ours was Miami) with return envelope, travel docs, money order, etc. The Miami turn-around time was pretty quick - maybe 2-3 weeks or so and that was around Carnival in March (most Brazillians don't work around this time - even in the US!).

To all of those who have booked the transatlantic cruise from Lisbon to Sao Paulo Brazil in December 2007; have you purchased visas? We have recieved conflicting information about the need for a visa. My main concern is once we arrive in Sao Paulo. Although we booked our airfare with RCCI, which includes tranfers to the airport, we have booked a tour with a private company from Santos to the Sao Paulo airport. According to RCCI reservations, as long as I am not staying Brazil over night that is not a problem. I hate to spend almost 500.00 on a visa I do not need, but surely do not want to be stuck in Brazil either.

Thanks you in advance for your responses!

How many are in your group 5? You must have the visa. My guess is you will be denied boarding in Lisbon without it because you will not be allowed entry into Brazil, and I doubt the cruiseline wants to be responsible to sail you back to the USA! You need to visit the Brazilian consulate website immediately if you are going to get a visa on your own. If not then you need to contact an expediting company to do it for you for an additional fee!

jc

Archived