2 Year old too young for Sting Ray City?

TexasMommy

My son will be 4 months shy of 3 when we go to Caymans next month. Is he to young to go to Sting Ray City? I wouldn't be surprised if it scared him..he is afraid of dogs. I guess he could stay on the boat and see them from there with his daddy. My DD will be almost 8 and I think she'll do fine. DH is very squeamish about the thought of the sting rays so he may prefer to be on the boat with the little one anyway. I'm worried they may get restless if they have to wait on the boat for 30 plus minutes.

If DS does decide to get in the water at the sting ray stop, or more likely at the reef stop he could wear his lifejacket and floaty ring.

Comments? Am I better skipping this all together or leaving him on board?

The times we've been to Stingray Sandbar there have always been young children on the boat. The first time, the mom and dad took turns getting into the water (because the little one didn't want to get in) and one of the crew members brought a stingray over to the boat for the child to touch. The other times, the ones that had little kids (I'd say they were maybe 2 years old)...the kids got in the water.

We always use Captain Marvin's and they have life jackets for anyone that wants to use one (they have childrens sizes also).

I'd say your little one would be most likely to get in at the sandbar. At least that's what the little ones did that have been on our excursions. The first time we visited the sandbar, we were in water that was almost 5' deep. The place was packed that day, so where they drop anchor depends a lot on how many other boats are in the area. The weather also factors into this. The other times we've been there, the water was up to our knees, which was nice.

I don't know what to tell you to do, but we've certainly seen young children on our excursions. The last time we went out to the sandbar, there was an older couple that didn't even get in the water. They just rode along and enjoyed seeing everything.

You might take some toys or some snacks for your baby and that might keep him entertained. The time does goes by quickly, but as a mom, I know how squirmy little kids can get. Or you could leave him on the ship. I'd do whatever you think is best...but he probably won't be the only child that age on your excursion. :)

Sounds like you should do your own thing and let your husband take the little one and do their own thing.

If your son is scared of dogs you could traumatize the you know what out of him by putting him into surroundings where he could not only be afraid of the rays but that he wouldn't even know where they are coming from being in front, at the side, behind and below him.

I've seen much older kids and adults scared to death at SC - why take that chance with such a young child?

And putting a 2 year old in a floaty ring in 10-20' of water doesn't sound like a good plan either.

I'm leaning towards waiting a few years then I guess. If we took him I was not going to put him in the water if he didn't want to go. I don't think he'd be scared with DH in the boat and just watching them from afar. I certainly don't want to traumatize my little apple of my eye. He is pretty vocal as all 2 year olds tend to be! If he doen't want to do it, believe me, he'll let us know!

:D

He loves water and has had lessons and if he DID want to get in, we have a life jacket for him that we would bring and wearAND in addition he has a floaty he likes AND a parent woud be right there next to him.

Well, at this point leaning towards turtle farm or Sea Grape Beach again as a family.

Sounds like a better plan.

The thing first timers to SRC don't appreciate for the little ones is that the rays can come at them from all angles - front, back, sides and potentially even below. The fact that the rays are underwater and not that visible (depending on water conditions) adds another element to the unknown. They often bang into your legs from whatever direction they are coming from and I've seen adults absolutely freak out in that situation. The whole thing has the potential to scare a young child quite badly. There's also a difference between sitting on the boat and standing in the water with them around you - it looks easy on the boat but again I've seen people panic to get back out of the water.

I'm sorry if my first post came off kind of harsh, not my intent, but rereading it seemed to have an edge I didn't intend.

We're taking our 25 month old...and plan to just go with the flow. We'll let her watch one of us in the water. If she's comfortable than I will carry her. If she's not than we will take turns staying with her on the boat.

Maybe your son is different...but I know that I could never put any of my daughters in a ring in that situation...because if the rays touched their feet/legs...they would go balistic and it would years before they went back into the ocean. :)

I'm sure you will have a great time no matter what.

Thanks to all who replied. I seem to be the only one in my family with my heart set on this. I really wanted to do the Rays, Reef, Rum tour throught Nativeway. Oh well, :( while DH loves to snorkle and would love everything about this trip EXCEPT the rays. He does NOT like the thought of being the water with the Rays. I think he'd stay on the boat that stop. I THINK DD would like it but she may get freaked too.

I guess we'll wait a few more years. Now I need to research the turtle farm. The new price is sooo high but would be something new. Otherwise, we'll do the beach by the Courtyard or Seagrape.

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS.

We took our grandson, who had just turned three (and also kids 4, 5 & 5) with Capt. Marvin's snorkeling and stingray tour. None of the kids would get in with the sting rays, except one 5 year old who let her dad carry her out near them for a few minutes. They also lasted only a couple of minutes snorkeling; however, it was a little cool and the waves were choppy that day--not bad, but a little too much for a child.

That said, the kids had an amazing time on the boat ride out there, on the boat while others snorkeled or saw the stingrays, and on the ride back. Since we had 8 adults and a 13 year old along, there was always someone to stay on board with them.

They enjoyed the tour because of the boatride, but the best times they had on that cruise were when we went to beaches and they just played and swam. So that's a good alternative if you're worried he won't like the stingrays.

We were there last week with our 2 children. Our oldest is 6 and our youngest was a year and a few days old. We used Captain Marvin's and had an excellent time! Both boys were in the water with the stingrays and both boys loved every minute of it. We, of course, had to hold our baby but our oldest was able to touch the bottom and walk around, take pics, pet and hold the sting rays.

During the snorkel time, my husband and I agreed to trade off with the baby. My 6 year old, who swims just as well as the fish was out the whole time looking at fish (and a stray sting ray or two who followed us over) The guys who were working on our tour that day were awesome. They offered to hold the baby so I could get in the full time to snorkle. We attempted it and my baby just wasn't having it as he was tired and wanted to sleep. The guys running the boat then said we would stay out there a bit longer and that I could be the last one back on the boat so I had a good amount of time to swim also. It was great. Both boys had a blast and I can't wait until I get the video of it.

Yes, I got suckered.

Okay. Now you guys are making me 2nd guess myself!

I'm glad I got a few positives here recently but now I'm really worried that DS 2 will have a terrible time and that it is probably not a good idea.

If we change our mind and go I'll let you know. If we do decide to do it I am almost positive we'll leave DS and DH in the boat while DD and I swim with the sting rays. So..if we do it, I'll post a report.

Right now I'm leaning towards just heading to 7 mile beach. It is beautiful...I just wanted to try something new.

I don't think your two year old will have a terrible time--you just have to be prepared that he may, or may not, swim with the stingrays. I really doubt if a child that age will care that much one way or another, as long as you don't make a big deal about it. He can still have fun on the boat.

Stingray City has 2- 2 half feet of water at the most. My niece was afraid of the stingrays, but my brother held her and she at least came out to the sand bar with us and watched everyone else pet the stingrays. There are quite a few stingrays, so thinking your child can just float around on the sandbar will probably not work if he is afarid. If you are going on a ship tour, they have huge numbers on the boat, I would figure you would be at SC for more than 30 minutes just to unload and load the passengers on and off the boat.

Archived