Sushi!!!

cmsmuse

The spirit class ships don't have a dedicated sushi bar like the Conquest class, but every night on the Miracle they did open up a little area that had sushi (it was a cart outside some of the bar areas) and was listed in the capers... not a huge selection, but quite tasty.

Yuk Sandi!! All cooked? In 05 when we were on the Miracle we were able to get both... *gag*, cooked sushi...

Really? You had raw stuff? Too bad they didn't have that on our sailing. My husband was a bit disappointed that they didn't have the raw stuff but he still ate it anyway. :p:D It made a nice snack at around 5:30 with our drinks. We would get our sushi and then hang out in Maquire's Sports Bar. :D

Really? You had raw stuff? Too bad they didn't have that on our sailing. My husband was a bit disappointed that they didn't have the raw stuff but he still ate it anyway. :p:D It made a nice snack at around 5:30 with our drinks. We would get our sushi and then hang out in Maquire's Sports Bar. :D

Yup!! Salmon and Tuna :D Only cooked sushi I will eat is shrimp :p

Yup!! Salmon and Tuna :D Only cooked sushi I will eat is shrimp :p

Maybe someone got sick from the raw fish so they had to stop serving it?:confused: I'm really surprised that they had raw fish at all considering the fish has to be extremely fresh for it to be sushi grade.

You can't have raw shrimp sushi.....that will definitely make a person sick. All shellfish has to be cooked before it's consumed.

The cooked fish really was tasty....they mixed it in with some veggies and the wasabe. Yummy!! I am getting hungry now. :D

Maybe someone got sick from the raw fish so they had to stop serving it?:confused: I'm really surprised that they had raw fish at all considering the fish has to be extremely fresh for it to be sushi grade.

You can't have raw shrimp sushi.....that will definitely make a person sick. All shellfish has to be cooked before it's consumed.

The cooked fish really was tasty....they mixed it in with some veggies and the wasabe. Yummy!! I am getting hungry now. :D

I can't imagine the sushi bars on the conquest ships surviving with cooked sushi.... and it has always been very tasty!! Way better than on the Miracle...

I know, hence the :p LOL!!!!

I'm just not a cooked fish type person... even outside of sushi.

I can't imagine the sushi bars on the conquest ships surviving with cooked sushi.... and it has always been very tasty!! Way better than on the Miracle...

I know, hence the :p LOL!!!!

I'm just not a cooked fish type person... even outside of sushi.

Ohhh, well if you don't like cooked fish, then you probably wouldn't have liked the cooked sushi. They also had vegetable sushi, do you eat that?

Doesn't the conquest have a regular sushi bar up on the Lido every day? We would have liked that on the Miracle. Would have been nice having it for lunch.

Cruise ship sushi is an "interpretation." It can be quite tasty, but it's generally all cooked as a concession to liability fears and delivering a consistent product within the constraints of the food supply.

We loved our sushi chef and his creations aboard the Carnival ship we did the Eastern Carribean on, but if you are from So. Cal. you will surely notice the difference. It's no Nobu. Relax and enjoy your time aboard.

If by chance there IS raw sushi, then one imagines it will be good and safe, but you'll have a better time overall, I think, if you go with the attitude "WOW, it's amazing that there is something that looks like sushi at all!" We californians may be spoiled (oh yes!) but there is no reason to set ourselves up to be cranky.

Ohhh, well if you don't like cooked fish, then you probably wouldn't have liked the cooked sushi. They also had vegetable sushi, do you eat that?

Doesn't the conquest have a regular sushi bar up on the Lido every day? We would have liked that on the Miracle. Would have been nice having it for lunch.

My preference for sushi is nigiri, or any of the rolls with raw fish...I've eaten plenty that was cooked, I just don't prefer it (again, i do like the various shrimp and crab rolls) I eat the California rolls, but they aren't my favorite... I really prefer "real" sushi, but I'll take what I can get :D LOL!!! The sushi on the ships is decent, for a taste of sushi... but I wouldn't eat cooked sushi on the ships...

Yes, the Conquest class ships have a dedicated sushi bistro type place...

Prepare to be underwhelmed with the sushi onboard. It was edible but that is about it, it is good for a little snack as long as you don't have very high expectations.

Carnival does many things very well, sushi is not one of those things.

Stay away from the sushi offered in the Dining Room, that stuff is positively inedible. Only eat from the cart.

Prepare to be underwhelmed with the sushi onboard. It was edible but that is about it, it is good for a little snack as long as you don't have very high expectations.

Carnival does many things very well, sushi is not one of those things.

Stay away from the sushi offered in the Dining Room, that stuff is positively inedible. Only eat from the cart.

I agree, the sushi in the dining room is bad... the sushi in the supper club is very good. The sushi I've had on fantasy class ships is horrible, the sushi on the Miracle was decent, the sushi on the Valor and Conquest was quite good... I agree, if you go onto the ship with expectations you are going to get the best sushi you have ever had, you are nuts (but that is true for ALL the food :p LOL)

My preference for sushi is nigiri, or any of the rolls with raw fish...I've eaten plenty that was cooked, I just don't prefer it (again, i do like the various shrimp and crab rolls) I eat the California rolls, but they aren't my favorite... I really prefer "real" sushi, but I'll take what I can get :D LOL!!! The sushi on the ships is decent, for a taste of sushi... but I wouldn't eat cooked sushi on the ships...

Yes, the Conquest class ships have a dedicated sushi bistro type place...

The only raw sushi I will eat are the tuna and salmon. My husband on the other hand, likes it all including eel. :eek:

Are only some ships cooking the fish? On the Imagination and Legend this year I had raw salmon. I didn't eat at the little cart every night to see what else they had but the salmon was definitely raw. I had a fantastic time grossing out my travel companions lol

My dining room sushi was ok but one piece of it was really really good. I'll have to order it again in a week or so and report back.

There is sushi on the Triumph right? Cooked or raw?

Just an fyi

Definition of Sushi:

Sushi

In Japanese cuisine, sushi is a food made of vinegared rice combined with various toppings or fillings, which includes seafood and can also include meat, vegetables, mushroo

ms, or eggs. Sushi toppings may be raw, cooked, or marinated.Sushi as an English word has come to refer to the complete dish (rice together with toppings); this is the sense used in this article. The original term sushi (-zushi in some compounds such as makizushi) in the Japanese language refers to the rice, not the fish or other toppings.In the Western world, sushi is often misunderstood to mean only clumps of rice topped with raw fish, or to refer to other raw-seafood dishes, such as sashimi (sushi and sashimi are considered distinct in Japan).

See more at Wikipedia.org...

So "raw sushi" or "cooked sushi" is a misnomer since sushi is vinegared rice. Its actually made from a very stick rice with a syrup of ricewine vinegar, sake or mirin, and salt. That syrup gives the rice that distinct sweet/tart flavor. What it is topped with, or has rolled in it does not make it sushi. I LOVE the stuff, in any form. Weither its raw tuna or yellowtail, cucumber or pickles, cooked eel or clam, salmon roe, anything. I don't know why the misuse of the term always bothers me, but it does... I hope I didn't offend anyone!!

there was a sushi bar on the Glory in 03 when we went and not all of it contained cooked fish, there were salmon rolls that were raw salmon... whatever it was.. it was aLLLLLL good

And.. BTW... FDA regulations in the US state that all fish served in sushi in a commercial restraunt in the united states must be frozen at temperatures of less than 0 degrees farienheight for at least 7 days before being prepared. I always find that interesting when people talk about how fresh their sushi is in their costal town. I think the quality of sushi and sashimi has to do with the amount of people that purchase it in the area. A busy sushi bar will always have better tasting food than one that is not busy.

Archived