Sushi!!!

cmsmuse

Just an fyi

Definition of Sushi:

Sushi

In Japanese cuisine, sushi is a food made of vinegared rice combined with various toppings or fillings, which includes seafood and can also include meat, vegetables, mushroo

ms, or eggs. Sushi toppings may be raw, cooked, or marinated.Sushi as an English word has come to refer to the complete dish (rice together with toppings); this is the sense used in this article. The original term sushi (-zushi in some compounds such as makizushi) in the Japanese language refers to the rice, not the fish or other toppings.In the Western world, sushi is often misunderstood to mean only clumps of rice topped with raw fish, or to refer to other raw-seafood dishes, such as sashimi (sushi and sashimi are considered distinct in Japan).

See more at Wikipedia.org...

So "raw sushi" or "cooked sushi" is a misnomer since sushi is vinegared rice. Its actually made from a very stick rice with a syrup of ricewine vinegar, sake or mirin, and salt. That syrup gives the rice that distinct sweet/tart flavor. What it is topped with, or has rolled in it does not make it sushi. I LOVE the stuff, in any form. Weither its raw tuna or yellowtail, cucumber or pickles, cooked eel or clam, salmon roe, anything. I don't know why the misuse of the term always bothers me, but it does... I hope I didn't offend anyone!!

there was a sushi bar on the Glory in 03 when we went and not all of it contained cooked fish, there were salmon rolls that were raw salmon... whatever it was.. it was aLLLLLL good

And.. BTW... FDA regulations in the US state that all fish served in sushi in a commercial restraunt in the united states must be frozen at temperatures of less than 0 degrees farienheight for at least 7 days before being prepared. I always find that interesting when people talk about how fresh their sushi is in their costal town. I think the quality of sushi and sashimi has to do with the amount of people that purchase it in the area. A busy sushi bar will always have better tasting food than one that is not busy.

you are absolutely correct.

and my mother, who was born and raised in okinawa, would be SO PROUD right now! :)

personally, i am a sashimi fan. i could care less about the rice, just give me some shake or hamachi and a pair of chopsticks. i am in heaven there. :)

Yes, very tasty. Here are a couple photos so you can see what it looks like. Ohhh and btw, none of it's raw. All cooked stuff.

2621374510046899484S425x425Q85.jpg

2214341100046899484S425x425Q85.jpg

I've never had the courage to try sushi. I've decided to try it next month on the Elation. Any recommendations on what to try. I'm not real fond of really fishy taste. Thanks.

Mike

My husband and son are BIG on Sushi. Is there a Sushi bar on the Pride? And is it good? We live in S. Cal., so the Sushi is top notch and the boys are a little spoiled :D

There is a sushi bar (or sushi cart I guess you would call it) and the times it is open will be listed in the daily capers. We enjoyed the sushi almost every night. It was fun to watch them make it fresh~

Payd:)

is the sushi served on the Miracle only at 5:30pm? I read somewhere that it was offered at lunch..hope that is true. Enjoy your posting!

Might be...I don't remember. We only had it in the early evening at the little sushi stand outside of Maquires Sports Bar.

I've never had the courage to try sushi. I've decided to try it next month on the Elation. Any recommendations on what to try. I'm not real fond of really fishy taste. Thanks.

Mike

You might like the vegetable sushi....that has no fish in it.

Mike

Good sushi shouldn't taste fishy at all... and the texture is amazing!! I would start with something veggie to make sure you are ok with the sea-weed wrapper (my fav part). If you enjoy that, go for crab, then salmon or tuna!!

you are absolutely correct.

and my mother, who was born and raised in okinawa, would be SO PROUD right now! :)

personally, i am a sashimi fan. i could care less about the rice, just give me some shake or hamachi and a pair of chopsticks. i am in heaven there. :)

Your mom can be even more proud because I was born in okinawa as well!!! (parents were both air-force)

Your mom can be even more proud because I was born in okinawa as well!!! (parents were both air-force)

my dad was stationed at kadena from i think, 1973-1979.

my uncle, who was a navy man, loved it so much that when he retired he stayed there. he said he never wants to come back to the states. lucky that he married an okinawan woman so he can do that. :)

If he was at Kadena from 73-79, he was there when I was born (actually at clark naval hospital) as I was born in 78

That's awesome. I didn't get the honor myself, as i was born shortly after my family moved back to the states. For the longest time, I seriously thought i was born at "Eggland" air force base. Years later, someone explained to me that it was EGLIN air force base. :p

I of course go back periodically since pretty much all of my mom's side of the family still lives there. I'm still convinced that it's the most beautiful place on earth. :)

Mmmmm! Sushi! I used to think I'd never try it. Then I had it and it was ok. Then I had it again and it was better. Then once more and it was great! I love the stuff now! I think it's great that they have sushi bars on some ships now and hopefully the OP can have some sushi at some point on their cruise.

Preparing my food review for the foodies board, so I thought I'd add these here...

2396141190079337728CZeqxd_th.jpg

This is the temaki...

2294587870079337728PTBypG_th.jpg

Other menu (as they change up each day)

2160440490079337728XvWLXq_th.jpg

I schwear to you the Grilled Portobello (Mushroom) Nigiri with Spinach was the best (and most unusual in a great way) sushi I've had in ages.:D

Unfortunately I ate it so fast, I didn't get a picture...:o

Enjoy...

CJW

PS Mikel1733 try either of the ones I've mentioned above to start...

Mmmmm! Sushi! I used to think I'd never try it. Then I had it and it was ok. Then I had it again and it was better. Then once more and it was great! I love the stuff now! I think it's great that they have sushi bars on some ships now and hopefully the OP can have some sushi at some point on their cruise.

The first time i tried it, I was about 7 and I thought it was AWFUL. All i remember is that the fish was like mush in my mouth and the texture was just so...... wierd.

When you grow up in a Japanese restaurant, you get to try a lot of..... interesting things.

I didn't try it again until i was about 19. Now I love it. It's funny how your taste buds can change. :)

As far as trying things, my personal favorite is both salmon and yellowtail. Tuna is good, although it's just kind of..... boring to me.

If youre looking for cooked, salmon skin is good and I LOVE unagi (eel). It sounds wierd, but tastes SO good. :)

The first time i tried it, I was about 7 and I thought it was AWFUL. All i remember is that the fish was like mush in my mouth and the texture was just so...... wierd.

When you grow up in a Japanese restaurant, you get to try a lot of..... interesting things.

I didn't try it again until i was about 19. Now I love it. It's funny how your taste buds can change. :)

As far as trying things, my personal favorite is both salmon and yellowtail. Tuna is good, although it's just kind of..... boring to me.

If youre looking for cooked, salmon skin is good and I LOVE unagi (eel). It sounds wierd, but tastes SO good. :)

I'll bet you've tried some interesting things. A whole different culture. I'm going to try unagi sometime.

I have never had sushi before. I live in CNY and not sure if there are even any good places to get it and because I've never had it, I would not know if it's good or bad. I would like to give it a try while aboard the Legend next month. Any suggestions on what would be a good choice to try first? I really would like to try it, but if it's not good aboard the Legend, I may not ever try it again. So, any suggestions on what to try first and how to ease my way into sushi would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ps: I should probably start out with something with more of a mild taste and fyi: I love Asian foods, spinach, rice, all sorts of grains & seafood (just not sure about raw seafood????)

Are only some ships cooking the fish? On the Imagination and Legend this year I had raw salmon. I didn't eat at the little cart every night to see what else they had but the salmon was definitely raw. I had a fantastic time grossing out my travel companions lol

My dining room sushi was ok but one piece of it was really really good. I'll have to order it again in a week or so and report back.

There is sushi on the Triumph right? Cooked or raw?

I have been trying to find out if the Triumph has a Sushi cart and can't find anyone who knows!!!! I hope so I like to have it before dinner. Hopefully there is someone that knows.

My husband and son are BIG on Sushi. Is there a Sushi bar on the Pride? And is it good? We live in S. Cal., so the Sushi is top notch and the boys are a little spoiled :D

The sushi on Carnival is definately not for those of us from Southern California. It is basically California rolls, cooked fish and vegetarian. Sorry, but for those of us who eat uni and tako this is not the sushi bar we would choose. Your sons are going to be disappointed.

The sushi on Carnival is definately not for those of us from Southern California. It is basically California rolls, cooked fish and vegetarian. Sorry, but for those of us who eat uni and tako this is not the sushi bar we would choose. Your sons are going to be disappointed.

There was quite a bit of raw fish among the sushi selections on the Fantasy this week. I was surprised, because I hadn't seen much, if any, in the past. I remember them serving mackerel, tuna, and salmon, and I think one other type of fish. It actually wasn't bad, even my 6 year old enjoyed it.

The boys are pretty sushi, sashimi and nigiri saavy....they'll just have to fill up at Fugiyama or Tov Sushi before they go:) Who knows, maybe by December they'll have better sushi on the Pride...

Archived