Good place to buy snorkeling gear in Maui??

JD75

Anyone know if Walmart or Kmart sells snorkeling gear in Maui and how much it goes for? I'm wondering if I should buy some to use for the rest of the trip (Maui/Kauai) Or should I stick to the orgnanized excursions?

I'm sure that Kmart and Walmart both carry snorkel gear and it will be relatively cheap, but remember that you get what you pay for. If you just want some toss away equipment, then you would probably be all right with their stuff. If you want good equipment, you should go to a dive shop and have them work with you. The equipment will last longer and give you better service.The other benefit of using your own gear is that you're familiar with it, it will be more comfortable and you don't have to worry about a poor fit. Many dive shops have pools in which you can try thing prior to purchase to see if they work for you.

If you go with ship excursions, it's still a good idea to get your own snorkel because you don't know whose mouth the mouthpiece has been in prior to yours. I don't trust anyone's cleaning job other than my own with a mouthpiece.

Charlie

Don't know if you have enough time, but I ordered my equipment and carry bag from Amazon.

If you search "U.S. Divers", you should find the Mask/Snorkel/ProflexII Fins set for $28 and the the red backpack is $15. The set was decent quality. Got good reviews. It's not pro gear, but probably better than a cheap set you'll find at Wal-Mart. You may not need the backpack, but it worked fine for me to carry the gear.

Like Spikesgirl, I don't like the idea of using a rented snorkel, so now I own my equipment and can use it in the future as well.

we bought sets at a sporting good store, they were on clearance since summer was over, they were only 9$

and we have taken them to mexico and hawaii several times, and they have lasted..

I like knowing where they have been you know what i mean..

i saw alot of them at kmart and walmart on clearance also, my daughter got some from there and they lasted a while..

if you go to maui to buy them , they will be more expensive, and it will be a headache worrying about buying them when you get there, i would get them here before you go there.

Archived