Sprint says it is free to use their cell service at sea (cruise to the Bahamas)

YorkieMommyKandis

This is new to me (about free). I used it onboard in July (Alaska and Vancouver) and it was 2.49 a minute, plus I had international roaming.

Call the INTERNATIONAL department and talk to them. The regular reps don't have a clue what they are talking about (I called 4 different times). I'm not saying that what they told you is wrong - but I wouldn't chance it.

I was told the same line of bull as the prior poster about having roaming, and international, yahdah yahdah yahdah and I would be fine. NOT - I got hit with a big bill. I called and complained and they took everything off - including the calls I made in Vancouver. Now it did take me 5 phone calls and working my way through 2 supervisors. It was very time consuming also. I would not risk going on the verbal word of someone - make them send you something in writing.

I told them that there is no way I would have made the calls if I had know. Many of the calls were to my sons phone, that is on our plan and would normally be free, and I was charged - he was on the boat with us. I told them I didn't have STUPID tatooed on my forehead and that I believed the reps when they told me I was all set.

Try a tracfone - I hear they work great.

There have been other threads where posters have stated it has taken 3 months for the charges from while at sea to show up on their bill, so keep checking your bill after you get back for a while. Personally, I tell people to call me at the $9.00 a minute line and then I will turn on my cell and call them back. This makes sure it is important.

Enjoy

Ron

I used my Sprint cell phone last year (in port only) in Puerto Rico & St. Thomas.

Sprint reps had confirmed that PR & St. Thomas are included in the "nation-wide sprint pcs network" and i had absolutely no additional charges on my bill or subsequent bills. :D

• 2 weeks later...
The most authoratative answer I received came in at $2.99 per minute. I did run up about 10 minutes of airtime while aboard the Miracle last week; I'll try to remember to post when I receive my bill and see the actual charges.

Update: I just received my Sprint bill covering the period of my Miracle cruise (9/16 - 9/24). I made 11 minutes of at-sea calls for which I was charged $2.49 per minute, $27.39 total.

I have Nextel/Sprint (they seem to keep separating themselves but bill as Sprint). I want to have my phone available for an emergency (kids, dogs etc.) but don't plan to make any calls myself. So, am I understanding that when we go to the Western Carribean on the Legend next month I will be charged $2.99 a minute to check for messages or to return a call, and an amount from the ship. I don't think I have free roaming and everything I have read has started to get confusing? I will only use my phone to check for a message about kids, dogs and to return the call if there is a message. Thanks for saving me the $$$:D

Archived