Parental Consent

dodiebird

We will be sailing next summer on the Dream. It will be my family and a family friend's son. He will be 18 when we sail. I know that in the past when we sailed before on the Majesty that we could sign a consent form so that my 19 year old could purchase beer or wine. How does this work if our friends son is sailing with us but not with his parents? Can we sign for him since he is sailing with us?

Thanks!

We are looking forward to sailing on the Dream since we have sailed many times on the Majesty so this will be something new for us! :)

Isn't an 18 year old an adult for all purposes except drinking?

But since this question was specifically about drinking, the issue of how the cruise lines view 18 to 20 y/o's in general doesn't apply.

Although the US can declare 18 y/o's adults in all ways (except alcohol), the cruise lines aren't bound by that. NCL doesn't allow 18 y/o's to book a cabin on their own; they don't have to, even though "we" say that 18 y/o is an adult. It's similar to car rental companies where some won't rent to anyone under 25 and some impose higher rates on drivers who are younger than 25. In both cases, insurance rates are no doubt part of the equation. (Just like car insurance companies charge higher rates for younger drivers, and maybe older drivers too.)

beachchick

Archived