Taxi Drivers in Rome

Does anyone have any hints for communication with non-English speaking taxi drivers. I have read on this board that it's important to negotiate the fare before getting in, and making sure there is a meter. One recent post, a wonderful itinerary for a day visit to Rome, by MavisMarie, gives good directions for finding taxi stands etc. But I wonder if it would be a good idea to make up some little cards, translate to Italian, phrases like "I would like to go to the Palatine ticket office, please. How much will it cost?" Any other ideas or experiences to share?

My Italian consists of Prego, Permiso, and Grazi!

If you are using a metered taxi (e.g., from a stand) and are traveling within the Centro Storico (historical center) of Rome, you shouldn't worry too much about the fare. Most points of travel in this area shouldn't be more than 10 euros at most.

What I've done occasionally, when asking to be taken somewhere off the beaten track, is to have a printed copy of the address to show the taxi driver.

"Quanto costa?" means "How much?" and should be understood!

Get a business card (or 3) from your hotel to show the driver. Make sure the metre is turned on. If you are going somewhere other then your hotel - then write down the name in Italian. Many don't speak english.

We took taxis late at night (on the advice of our tour guide) but during the day, the bus & metro got us there just as fast. Rome is also a walkable city.

Archived