Where ship docks

Lily'sMum

Is there anything to do in the immediate vicinity to where the ships dock or tender? We'll be on the QM2 in Oct. We don't like to do excursions at each stop, so we like to know which ports you can just get off the ship and walk to something interesting for an hour or so, and which you have to travel by car to get something worth seeing/doing? Any thoughts?

Our other ports: Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, St. Lucia....any info. on these islands regarding the same issue is much appreciated!! TIA!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be there in March 2008, but reading other posts, there is absolutely nothing where you get off the ship. They suggest grabbing a cab which are lined up at the port and go sight seeing or hit a beach (Cane Garden Beach is highly thought of).

You can walk to the left along the water's edge, there are a few shops there with chickens running around. :eek: You don't need to take a cab to get to them. There was also a jewelry shop there where I found a nice blue topaz earring and necklace set cheap.

There should be a little steel drum band to greet you, nice touch.

They will have open air buses that will take you around the island for a price. I don't know what they charge.

I will be there in March 2008, but reading other posts, there is absolutely nothing where you get off the ship.

Perhaps you haven't read enough posts or only read the posts from people that can't be bothered to research the stops they are visiting. Then of course there are the posts from those that think if they get off the boat, go to one of the places the cruise line recommended, and feel they have "done" that island.

Here is my reply to a person in another thread that claimed there was nothing to do in Road Town...

Sorry but...there is nothing else in Road town? Did they close down the Botanical Gardens? The Folk Museum, the Dungeon ruins? How about the shops on Main St such as Sunny Carribbee Spice Company and Art Gallery, Samarkand Jewelers, The gallery, The jewellery Box, Zenaida, or Allamanda gallery. Is the Crafts Alive village gone, the local resturants like the C&F, the Roti Palace, Palm Groov'n, Rita's? Ft. Burt?

Seek and ye shall find...and, you might just enjoy. ;)

Archived