Carnival PVP or..

dburger

Okay seasoned veterans,

Have been calling around to get the best price on a Med cruise with military rate. Carnival gave me one quote, a well-known Internet agency gave me the same price less $100 if I book in Sep, and finally a travel agent I found through a message board (raved about her rates) gave me a quote $176 cheaper than that...

Was about to call her back when I got a call from some guy at the Carnival corporate office. He tells me no way my rate can be lower than Carnival's quote...that either I'll utimately pay the same price or they are breaking the law. Would really appreciate any advice you can give me on this.

Dazed and Confused

Okay seasoned veterans,

Have been calling around to get the best price on a Med cruise with military rate. Carnival gave me one quote, a well-known Internet agency gave me the same price less $100 if I book in Sep, and finally a travel agent I found through a message board (raved about her rates) gave me a quote $176 cheaper than that...

Was about to call her back when I got a call from some guy at the Carnival corporate office. He tells me no way my rate can be lower than Carnival's quote...that either I'll utimately pay the same price or they are breaking the law. Would really appreciate any advice you can give me on this.

Dazed and Confused

They cant ADVERTISE lower rates..but any TA can rebate their commissions to discount the cruise. You just have to call/email to get the quote. If you trust the TA and want the lower price, go for it.

They aren't technically breaking the law if they advertise a lower rate than Carnival, but the travel agents are breaking their agreement with Carnival and when it is found out, they might not be allowed to book Carnival Cruises anymore. The key word is advertise.

A lot of TA's discount their commision to give discounts but they are essentially paying the same rates for the cruise that Carnival quotes to direct guests. It's all a matter of preference whether you want to use a TA vs. dealing with Carnival directly.

It really depends on what your looking for? If you want to just book the cruise and forget it till it leaves then a T/A might be good to cover all the bases. On the other hand if you are like me and like to watch the price changes as well as availablity of cabin/suites online to find better locations. Then booking directly definitely has is good points. For example I had a Category 11 suite booked with carnival directly. At the time I had booked I had wanted a Cat 12 suite but they were all SOLD OUT!! Then I went online at about 12:30am about 2 weeks ago and looked up my cruise ship cabin availabity's for my cruise and ONE (1) Category 12 Suite had become available..At 12:30am I called 1-800-Carnival and talked to a pvp and told her that I wanted to get that open suite right away!! The first thing she asked me is if I had booked my reservation thru Carnival or a T/A. After telling her thru Carnival she was more then glad to up-grade my reservation at 12:30am!! She did mention during our conversation that had I booked it thru a T/A I would have had to wait and till the T/A was open and able to change it..In other words alot of time to loose that room to someone whom chooses to book directly with Carnival during the night or morning!! If you book thru Carnival and the price drops of your cruise they are good about giving you and on-board credit for that amount(I have had that happen) Good luck on your cruise and happy booking..:D

Thanks for all of your help...the TA told me that the discount came out of her commission and I can e-mail her anytime I want to check out a price change. She automatically checks when it is time for full payment. I love these boards. The advice is priceless.

Thanks for all of your help...the TA told me that the discount came out of her commission and I can e-mail her anytime I want to check out a price change. She automatically checks when it is time for full payment. I love these boards. The advice is priceless.

If you are comfortable with the TA references....go with the cheapest price!!

You must get in writing that she will reduce the rate after the deposit if the rate goes down. In writing is the only thing that will protect you getting the reduction. It's not just a handshake or a word.

Because she is paid on how much YOU spend, they can be reluctant or charge service fees later. Please just get everything in writing.

Archived