Carnival's Canadian Discount Fairy

ECP

Just went and paid off the my next cruise on Destiny - Dec. 9/07.

To my surprise the price had just dropped over $150 for the two of us. My agent said it was a discount for Canadian travelers only, and thought it had something to do with the strong Canadian dollar. Which seems strange as all my payments were made in American dollars only.

Anyway my friend who book her trip first has move away from her travel agent, will she automatically get the discount? If not, the final due day for payment is September 21/07 if she does not contact her agent by then is it possible she can still get her money back or must it be ship-board credit?

Any other Canadians out there who got a discount lately due to the rising Canadian dollar?

ECP, was your travel agent quoting your price in Canadian dollars? That would account for the price difference.

Our final payment is due on Sept. 24. I'm hoping for the dollar to be at par then. :)

Don't be surprised if the dollar makes it today!

No, looked at the old paperwork to be sure, I am looking at it right now as I type. I made all payments in American dollars only, additionally not only did the price fall from $600 USD pp to $470 pp we were upgraded from 8A-6266 to 8D-9184 which seems to be a less crowded floor.

Loving Carnival right now :)

The Discount fairy, The Upgrade fairy, The Passport fairy. A lot of good little fairies around. Now if only I can get that upgrade to a balcony :D , yes I know I should be happy I am going to Europe :o

To the OP, congratulations, that is a great discount.

Just went and paid off the my next cruise on Destiny - Dec. 9/07.

To my surprise the price had just dropped over $150 for the two of us. My agent said it was a discount for Canadian travelers only, and thought it had something to do with the strong Canadian dollar. Which seems strange as all my payments were made in American dollars only.

Anyway my friend who book her trip first has move away from her travel agent, will she automatically get the discount? If not, the final due day for payment is September 21/07 if she does not contact her agent by then is it possible she can still get her money back or must it be ship-board credit?

Any other Canadians out there who got a discount lately due to the rising Canadian dollar?

I think it has something to do with the metric system :confused: :D

Let's see......I'd like the Canadian dollar to go a little ABOVE the US dollar, just long enough for me to pay off my upcoming cruises and get my US money for my trip to Reno next month. Then, when I win all that money in Reno, the Cdn dollar drops below the US dollar and I make more money converting it back to Canadian! (Ah, come on - a girl can dream can't she??? :D )

If your travel agent was smart, he or she booked directly through Carnival rather than a Canadian travel company. This is what we did back in June for this very reason. As our dollar goes up, what we pay "seems" to go down. It is not a discount, it is Canadians simply paying virtually the same amount, as Americans do. Rather than have to add the exchange rate onto the prices we see on the Carnival website, we can now imagine that is actually the price we pay! Woo Hoo!

Enjoy, and let the soaring loonie continue!!!

59 days till we sail the Conquest out of Galveston!

:D We just received a price drop on our cruise for Jan 2/08 The Miracle. We got 100.00 per adult off and $50.00 per child, and $50.00 each for OBC. So we got $500.00 off the cruise with final payment due Oct 5. Yea ha .. that will pay the tips. I dont think this has much to do with the dollar but I could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time...or the last..lol) I think it has to do with buying your cruise early....we purchased it in Feb...and the price seems to go down a little bit as we get closer to the cruise.

We are VERy happy about this. Now hopefully the upgrade fairy will visit us.....I will be happy in my balcony regardless though

Happy Cruising:D

Good Morning Everyone, I am booked for Feb./09/2008 cruise on Triumph, final is due Nov. sometime if I paid it over the next few weeks I will get it cheaper, for the cruise only a Balcony upgrade to Varenda because off Past Guest I paid $1980.00, that is just the cruise, now when I go online and check out all my boarding things it says $1458.00(US) the other is Canadian, should I get it closer to the $1458.00 Amount, sorry I do not mean to be so stuipd but this is only our Third cruise.

Thanks

sailorwife:confused:

Good Morning Everyone, I am booked for Feb./09/2008 cruise on Triumph, final is due Nov. sometime if I paid it over the next few weeks I will get it cheaper, for the cruise only a Balcony upgrade to Varenda because off Past Guest I paid $1980.00, that is just the cruise, now when I go online and check out all my boarding things it says $1458.00(US) the other is Canadian, should I get it closer to the $1458.00 Amount, sorry I do not mean to be so stuipd but this is only our Third cruise.

Thanks

sailorwife:confused:

You should call whoever you have booked with..... It could be that your price is including all the port charges and taxes. When you get a price from the website it doesn't include these charges. Or your price has dropped for that cruise. Good Luck:D

We booked our cruise via Travel-ocity.ca (I like using these sites) Not that i really care if the prices drops but how did you guys find out?

Our final payment isn't due till Oct 27th but with our dollar sitting at 0.99947 as i write this i think it is time to pay off early. but are you bound to the rate from when you booked or now? my guess is the rate now as carnival just sends it to the your credit card company as XXXX.00 USD and your credit card company does the conversion right?

We booked our cruise via Travel-ocity.ca (I like using these sites) Not that i really care if the prices drops but how did you guys find out?

Our final payment isn't due till Oct 27th but with our dollar sitting at 0.99947 as i write this i think it is time to pay off early. but are you bound to the rate from when you booked or now? my guess is the rate now as carnival just sends it to the your credit card company as XXXX.00 USD and your credit card company does the conversion right?

Carnival just sends it to your credit card and they will convert it. Mastercard charges 2.5% on the exchange rate, I would imagine visa would be the same. Either way now is a good time to pay off your cruise

Was just talking to my TA and unfortunately since she booked via a tour company, we don't win in this situation. Last cruise it worked in my favour. When you book with a third party company, they take the losses or the gains when it comes to the dollar exchange, so sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Will know better next time.

I just was talking to my Travel Agent, a very large Company and I have used for years for travel and my Third Cruise, she said that Carnival will not , that I will have to pay what it is, I asked if I could pay in americian and she said no, even if i canceled and booked with Carnival that it would not work because I live in canada and not USA, I informed her others do this and their agents are doing something for them and I got a well i will call and I alresdy know the answer because we have been getting faxes alfor the last few days saying no and Disney was the only one doing it, so what do you think of that she is the Manager also.

sailorwife

ps can I call Carnival myself or will they not talk to me where I am with a Agent.

Thanks Everyone:confused:

I just was talking to my Travel Agent, a very large Company and I have used for years for travel and my Third Cruise, she said that Carnival will not , that I will have to pay what it is, I asked if I could pay in americian and she said no, even if i canceled and booked with Carnival that it would not work because I live in canada and not USA, I informed her others do this and their agents are doing something for them and I got a well i will call and I alresdy know the answer because we have been getting faxes alfor the last few days saying no and Disney was the only one doing it, so what do you think of that she is the Manager also.

sailorwife

ps can I call Carnival myself or will they not talk to me where I am with a Agent.

Thanks Everyone:confused:

If you cancelled and called Carnival to book directly with them, not through a travel agent, you would be paying Carnival in USD and be subject to the exchange rate on the day you paid (plus any service chgs depending on how you pay) You could save money that way. However, if the cost of the cruise increased since you first booked you will have to pay the higher fee. And if you booked other then guaratnteed, you may not be able to get the specific cabin you booked initially.

I'll check my online profile and let you know what comes up, pricewise. I booked on Monday for the Triumph on Feb 9/08 and only provided the required $250pp deposit, with the rest being due in November. Certainly with the dollar being so strong now, it is a wise move to pay if off....however there are signs that point to the Canadian dollar surpassing the US dollar. We'll see....

Vijay

countdown.pl?name=DSSKing&date=2-9-2008&image=Beach-10&text=Looking forward to more sun, sand and relaxation!!&ship=Carnival Triumph

Carnival Inspiration - 2000 (Honeymoon)

Norweigan Sky - 2001

Carnival Destiny - 2004

Crown Princess - 2006

Carnival Triumph 2008

Carnival just sends it to your credit card and they will convert it. Master card charges 2.5% on the exchange rate, I would imagine visa would be the same. Either way now is a good time to pay off your cruise

Hey Mr cruiser: Now is a great time to pay off the cruise i just looked at my old statement we are both correct Carnival just says give me XXX.XX USD if it only costs me 5 dollars to get that then that is what it costs. My old statement says right on it 500 dollars at like 1.07.

Now if only a price reduction but who cares not having to pay in USD is good enough for me :)

I would much prefer the speed up the calendar fairy as come on it snowed here yesterday :)

I managed to get a discount for our Destiny cruise in March yesterday also - our agent had neglected to add our past cruiser discount plus the cruise price had dropped a bit so we ended up saving $400 and they were going to put us from an 8A to an 8C or D but we stayed with the 8A to make sure we were close to my brother and parents! i'm thinking that with the dollar pretty much at par as I type (xe.com says 1 USD costs us 1.00198 not including what the bank adds on!) I'm going to pay off my cruise tomorrow.

Hope it keeps going strong so I can get shore excursions booked and paid for also!!

Carnival just sends it to your credit card and they will convert it. Mastercard charges 2.5% on the exchange rate, I would imagine visa would be the same. Either way now is a good time to pay off your cruise

We have found that american express has the lowest conversion charge.

I just called in and made final payment on our Christmas cruise today (payment not due until Oct 6, but I dont want to tempt fate. ) Even if the CAD goes above USD, I still think I did ok:) If only CAD will stay up there for the cruise then the on-board bill will be easier to handle

Archived