Santa Monica to San Pedro

JSR

We are sailing on the Monarch of the Seas on Jan 4. We arrive at LAX at 1:00 PM Thursday, Jan 3. The ship departs on Friday Jan 4. We are 2 people traveling with two small suitcases (carry ons). We want to stay in Santa Monica to visit with friends. Here are my questions:

1) How long will it take to get to the pier in San Pedro on Friday morning from Santa Monica?

2) What time should we leave Santa Monica to avoid the worst of the traffic?

3) How long will it take to get to Santa Monica from LAX mid-day?

4) What is the best way to do the above, car service, taxi or rental car. Convience and ease is our priorty then cost.

5) What hotel would you stay at in Santa Monica? We stayed at the Loews last time and our experience was only soso.

6) If we can not make Santa Monica work out with our friends schedule. How long will it take to get to the pier from Beverly Hills and what is the best form of transportation, taxi, rental car or car service?

Thank you for your help

From LAX to Santa Mnica is approximately 10 miles...Cab, shuttle or rental car all work...

By freeway, it's Sepulveda North to the 405 north at Howard Hughes Parkway entrance to the 10 West, off at 4th Street to the prime hotel area...

By surface street, it's actually shorter...Sepulveda north bear left at Lincoln and straight into Santa Monica...It should take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes depending on traffic...but, "midday", shouldn't be too much traffic...

I don't stay in hotels in Santa Mnica since I live in the area...but, I know my brother really liikes Loew's ...and also Shutters...both are on the expensive side as is another good choice, the old "Grande Dame" of Santa Monica--the Fairmont Miramar on Ocean Avenue (an excellent location, walking distance to the Third Street Promenade and across the street from Palisades Park...

There are also a number of far more reasonably priced hotels (though not in the class of the above) along Ocean Avenue...

From Santa Monica to the pier, figure it is approximately 30 miles...On a Friday, this could take between 40 minutes and an hour and a half, depending on when you leave...The ship won't let you board until around 11:30 at the earliest, so, there's no real need to leave before 10:am...If you leave Santa Monica between 10: and 11, I doubt it will take longer than an hour to get to the pier...probably less time than that...

The easiest way, not considering the cost, is a cab, limo or DEDICATED shuttle (The shuttle companies will set you up with your own van that doesn't stop for others)...Any of these work just fine...

Beverly Hills is really about the same distance from LAX and from the pier as Santa Monica, only inland...

Personally, I would prefer Santa Monica to Beverly Hills even if the friends thing doesn't work out...It's just less "urban", a wider selection of restaurant choices and more accessible nightlife...Other areas you might consider:

Venice--there are some interesting one of a kind hotels in Venice--sort of funky, "hippie-ish"...

Marina del Rey-- There's a very bnice Ritz Carlton here...it's about half way between LAX and Santa Monica...

Good luck...

Bruin Steve,

Thank you for the detailed reply. You answered all my questions.

I need to contact my friends and see thier schedule. One of them is an actor and one a school teacher so I need to see what they are up to at that time. I will contact the Fairmont and Shutters. Last time we were there we were driving down the coast of CA from San Fran biking (bikes not motorcycles) and enjoyed biking from Santa Monica to Venice Beach.

Thanks again for all your help

Hi!

I completely agree with Steve on everything but the choice of the Fairmont. It used to be an excellent hotel. A stay in August proved it to be a bit raggedy around the edges and in need of updating; their service left something to be desired.

I think that you'd be much happier at Shutters....very nice and arguably a better location.

A lesser known, but excellent place to stay in Santa Monica is the "Channel Inn". You can check it out in Trip Advisor under Bed and Breakfasts. It's even better than it's pictures and has bedding, charm, amenities of a Four Seasons. We were quite impressed with it.

Enjoy your stay!

murphysmum;)

Archived