Alcohol

spanisheyes

For any one tempted to fly the boxed wine in, how confident would you be with it in checked luggage? For carry on it is probably a no-no.

We've checked in a box of wine with no problems, but in a separate bag on its own. You need to tell the check in person that it is Fragile and ensure they put a Fragile label on it. We did pack a bottle of Scotch once in our main suitcase and it got broken. Never again!

As for the airline I was under the impression you can take it in checked luggage. Naturally, there is the risk of breakage but I almost think it would be better to take the chance (bubble wrap and ziplocks)than pay the rate in Barcelona and then have to find the store etc. My time is so limited there.

A bottle of champagne does sound like a plan. I bought a small one today for the hotel night.

If you're going to stay in Barcelona before the cruise, and thinking of bringing Champagne on board, then do buy some Cava in Barcelona instead. We found that some very nice Cava's were very reasonably priced there. Ask at your hotel where there is a store you can buy from. We bought some from the big department store (gourmet food section in basement) in the modern building at the square at the "top" of Las Ramblas - but be aware it isn't open on Sundays.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about carrying on two bottles of wine in their carry on luggage. We've heard of, and seen, very mixed results on bringing on other liquor - sometimes they seem to watch this closely and sometimes not at all. Personally, I wouldn't bother as we like to do our daily drinking in the Martini Bar (except for one or two bottles of champagne (or Cava) on our veranda per cruise). But in any event I don't think you need to have any fear of being kicked off unless you were "causing a problem" in some way - rather I think the worst that would happen if you were found to be bringing in something contrary to the rule is that it would be "held" for you until the end of the cruise.

Archived